Cubox i4pro problems

ljones0

Question

Hello all :-) !

Not sure if I am doing something wrong at all or not. But I've been trying the wheezy image from here. While I can get everything installed ok I've a problem with video acceleration.

I've managed to install the packages and have taken note of the changes here to do with installing the packages and kernel for video acceleration. But unless it is something I'm not doing right, performance dosen't exactly seem to be all that great even with acceleration.

I noticed that one thing that I could do btw to improve performance just a little was to turn down the colour depth. I did this by doing the following;

root@cubox-i:/boot# cat boot.cmd
setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait console=tty1 video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32 rd.dm=0 rd.luks=0 rd.lvm=0 raid=noautodetect pci=nomsi ahci_imx.hotplug=1 consoleblank=0 vt.global_cursor_default=0 quiet
ext2load mmc 0 0x18000000 /boot/dtb/${fdt_file}
ext2load mmc 0 0x12000000 /boot/zImage
bootz 0x12000000 - 0x18000000

I changed the part where it says "bpp=32 to bpp=24" and this helped after running

$ mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

To recreate the boot.scr image. This helps and it is quite noticable but I'm still finding the whole thing to be still quite sluggish. Video playback too is similarly slooow - even a simple low resolution video has problems playing either with vlc or mplayer (the best output driver I could find for video was SDL; none of the others worked except for X11 which was very, very slow indeed).

So far I've tried xfce4 and kde (which I'm using right now) though there really isn't much in terms of performance between them both. Kde 4 does have one or two nasty bugs for example with plasma applets -- the left mouse button dosen't work with them (for example, clicking on kde's usb mount icon in the system tray brings up a list of devices to mount, but you can't choose any of them! There is also a system settings problem with changing the look of the pointer as well, which just crashes) .

I'm wondering is there any way to check or accelerate 2D performance at all? I understand the accelerated X drivers work for 3D but maybe 2D isn't doing anything at all? *confused! Although dropping the colour depth down I am thinking what I am doing isn't really *properly* speeding things up!

I would try the debian jessie image though the website says that the acceleration is for wheezy only....

Thanks for any help!

ljones

6 answers to this question

My experiences regarding desktop are limited. Especially in this case :(

On Cubox I only built KODI / XBMC using the same repo and GL (menus) and video acceleration are working perfectly well.

Apologies for bringing up an old thread. But I've just downloaded the latest (jessie) version for my cubox-i4, but there still seems to be no 2d acceleration. I'm using it right now to post this message up and I'm using a lighter-weight web browser (qupzilla) but the device is still struggling with video. Even resizing windows seems to be sluggish at best.

I found this ( http://repo.r00t.website/BSP:/Cubox-i/Debian_Jessie/) repo here but as to how to install some of those packages I'm not sure or if they'd even fix the problem. I did try but ended up with getting dependency errors (messages stating about a dependency but it is not going to be installed).

Also on the armbian/cubox page ( http://www.armbian.com/cubox-i/) there's no mention of acceleration working or not working btw.

I did see this post - http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/324-cubox-jessie-video-drivers/?hl=acceleration- however it refers to wheezy, not jessie. I also note that person installed "imx6-config" though if I look at that repo.r00t I see that file and many others though that is how I get the dependency issues as well.

I added this to my /etc/apt/soures.list ----> deb http://repo.jm0.eu/BSP:/Cubox-i/Debian_Jessie/./ btw so as to add that repo to the list. (I know the URL is different but it seems to point to the right address; repo.r00t.website....).

ljones

I stop to deal with this since it's too complex to get it working properly and if you made an upgrade it broke ... alfa stage BSP while my moto is stability and CLI / server base. It does not fit, so it was removed from build.

It was done only for Wheezy I think.

I did read just recently that the etna_viv drivers (which seem to support the GC2000 video chip in the Cubox i4) are now officially part of the linux kernel starting with the latest 4.5 kernel. Wonder if that'd work at all?

ljones