Have a OrangePi 4B with minimum features working.

Nyx_

Hello Folks, good day.

I have a project where I need to use a OrangePi 4B and couple of hardware pieces connected to it. I'm having trouble putting together a Linux image where I have, at least the minimum functions required for the project working.

I need an image where these items below are enable/working:

- SPI

- I2C

- GPIO

- PWM

- 10.1 MIPI DSI LCD + TOUCH (available here)

- MIPI CSI Webcam (OV13850)

- 3D Acceleration (WebGL / OpenGl) using the Mali t860

- Bluetooth

- Wifi

Ideally, I would like to use the most recent Focal mainline kernel, but a legacy image will also be fine.

I've been spending a lot of time building and testing many different images, I tested all available on the OrangePi website and the ones pre built on the Armbian too. Some peripheral works on some images, some others not, etc. I also built several images myself but, up to the moment I was not able to make a single one with all the features above working.

I'm looking for help from the experts here on suggestions/guidance on how to accomplish the task of having a single, (preferably updated) linux image working on this project.

Appreciate the help.

Thank you.

54 minutes ago, Nyx_ said:

Ideally, I would like to use the most recent Focal mainline kernel

That means developing half of the things from scratch, the other half porting or integrating. We are talking about serious expenses, no-one will be donating to your (commercial) project.

54 minutes ago, Nyx_ said:

I'm looking for help from the experts here on suggestions/guidance on how to accomplish the task of having a single, (preferably updated) linux image working on this project.

I see you are fairly new around here - general support terms: https://github.com/armbian/build#support If you don't know how to make things together, hire people and when you will have the code working, you are welcome to submit the code to the Armbian  with a patch. https://docs.armbian.com/Process_Contribute/

If you want to have this code maintained with certainty, cover real maintenance costs. Anything below that - support remains in "as is" fashion. It can work, but most likely it will break at some point. Which is why vendors stays at fixed private kernel. Its much cheaper.

12 hours ago, Igor said:

That means developing half of the things from scratch, the other half porting or integrating. We are talking about serious expenses, no-one will be donating to your (commercial) project.

Hi Igor. Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry if the post gave an idea that I'm trying to exploit the effort here for a commercial project. That's far off from the real situation.

The final goal is related to public education where I'm trying to see if it's possible to use something like the OrangePi + Armbian instead of the classic RaspPi.

I've been helping on several Open source projects in the past years, mainly on support and translation, but, you're right, Iḿ new on the Armbian community and I'm trying to have a holistic approach on how the get the overall goal achieved.

I spend the last 5 weeks or so trying to understand and compile and test all the information I got, and, there are several things that are not making sense yet. Maybe I should simplify the questions and break down the problem in smaller pieces, this will result in the more posts but maybe it will benefit more people.

Believe me. I'm eager on engage and help this community here too, but, as most new members, need some help to know how things work and start putting the puzzle together so others can benefit from it too.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, Nyx_ said:

I've been helping on several Open source projects

Asking for help and assistance in doing what we don't plan to do its not helping us :) What the project need is: maintenance of the build script(s), board support, forum moderation and various background tasks such as infrastructure maintenance, web design, project management, ...

Yes, I do understand you didn't know that.

Things are fundamentally different as Raspberry Pi which target group is very different and you learn a little when using it. There - you connect the display, enable it and it works. Here - you need - sometimes - to start almost from scratch and make, port and adjust a driver. And you learn A LOT. 

Use this forum for sharing what you have learned and to find parts of the clues to get whatever you want to achieve with the hardware.

15 hours ago, Nyx_ said:

I'm sorry if the post gave an idea that I'm trying to exploit the effort here for a commercial project. That's far off from the real situation.

I should add a question mark. Apologise, but it sounded that way.