Armbian_20.08_Rockpro64_focal_current_5.7.15 no HDMI output after "starting kernel"

rookieone

Hi!

I just booted Armbian_20.08_Rockpro64_focal_current_5.7.15.img via sdcard , but HDMI output seems to stop after "Starting Kernel". Just after that I see some yellow/black vertical lines on my monitor and then the screen goes black, no more HDMI input on the monitor.

Logging into Armbian on the RockPRO then works fine via ssh, can do the setup, update etc. So it looks like a problem with HDMI output?

Anyone ideas how to solve this? Would like to have console terminal access via HDMI as last resort ;)

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Just tried the Armbian_20.08_Rockpro64_focal_current_5.7.15_desktop which seems to have the same issue

16 hours ago, rookieone said:

Anyone ideas how to solve this?

Log in with ssh, remove /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rockpro64.conf file and reboot. HDMI should work then.

There is an issue with current v20.08 builds for some boards (including RockPro64) that crucial graphics modules are blacklisted - it will be fixed with next patch release.

1 hour ago, piter75 said:

Log in with ssh, remove /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rockpro64.conf file and reboot. HDMI should work then.

There is an issue with current v20.08 builds for some boards (including RockPro64) that crucial graphics modules are blacklisted - it will be fixed with next patch release.

That indeed solved it, thank you!

On 8/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, rookieone said:

That indeed solved it, thank you!

In my case, using 20.08.2 (kernel: Linux rockpro64 5.8.6-rockchip64) I thought the board wasn't starting but instead I have ssh but no HDMI output at all? The /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rockpro64.conf file does *not* exist.

This may be a candidate for a new topic as it seems like a possibly different issue, but wondering if it is something related to other blacklist entries (or if I need to add some that are not there) for HDMI to be detected?

I am seeing the white led continually flash 2 times with a 1 second pause between. Thoughts?

13 hours ago, rik-shaw said:

I am seeing the white led continually flash 2 times with a 1 second pause between. Thoughts?

The original issue of blacklisting needed modules is indeed fixed in your image.

Did it work before with v20.05.x? What's your display resolution?

On 9/7/2020 at 12:16 AM, piter75 said:

The original issue of blacklisting needed modules is indeed fixed in your image.

Did it work before with v20.05.x? What's your display resolution?

Sorry I missed your reply earlier. I have recently used armbian-config to go back to the legacy 4.4 kernel and display out is working. Resolution, btw, is just 800x600 viewsonic projector. So, things are working now but I will do a bit more testing in the future on the newer 5.8.x kernel.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, rik-shaw said:

Sorry I missed your reply earlier. I have recently used armbian-config to go back to the legacy 4.4 kernel and display out is working. Resolution, btw, is just 800x600 viewsonic projector. So, things are working now but I will do a bit more testing in the future on the newer 5.8.x kernel.

Update: I am still having this same problem on the 5.8.x kernel. No HDMI output at all, not detected. It isn't a big deal as I run it headless, but noting here in case others run into the same issue.