Fix for XRDP on 20.08 (Debian Buster)

fraz0815

hey,

after updating my nanopct4 and rockpi-4b to from 20.05 to 20.08 RDP stopped working for me, only black screen.

After reading all the messy logs, fresh install etc, I found a simple working solution online:

In /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh change 

#!/bin/sh

to 

#!/bin/bash

Sources:

https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp/issues/1630

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1166568/remote-desktop-blue-screen-after-login

Maybe others are affected too, don't know about Ubuntu.

• Igor pinned this topic
  • Igor unpinned this topic

i tried to apply this fix to my s905x2 box running the Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0_desktop.img.xz build but with no success...

in another forum somebody wrote the following concerning this fix: " also doing a chmod after you've changed the file is what some users might be forgetting." but im not sure what the means and how to do it

3 minutes ago, boxmeister said:

why would the answer be no

We don't deal with images you find on the internet. We don't know them and they represent extra cost on already extensive support service which you support with nothing. You pay zero and I need to waste lets say 50 EUR for dealing with the problem you have. I would need another few hours to see and understand changes in the image you use. Another lets say 500 EUR worth of research ... you pay nothing for and you press on us for assistance on a problem that is most likely not our work in 1st place.

Free support is limited to our work and its also further limited. We can't fix all problems, but we at least try if possible, while when 3rd party image is in question ... we don't even start.

Clear?

i understand that im not entitled to anyones sparetime and im happy about any help i can get but i dont understand why those armbian builds are supposed to be "from the internet", apparently the forum.armbian.com user balbe has a set of rather popular and lively discussed build that he shares in this forum, i dont know what qualifies something to be regarded as "our work" in these forums.  Idk if @balbes150 does still share his insights into his work.

37 minutes ago, boxmeister said:

why would the answer be no

This is the reason there is the TV Boxes Club to provide a community to help with these unsupported builds.  Since you are using a TV box you will find no/limited support in the general forums for the reasons stated above.  Please read the work in process post in the TV Boxes club that is intended to set expectations around what to expect with armbian and TV boxes:

Thank you for clarifying, i came across that post while i was looking for troubleshoot though i didnt took from it to make a more specific distinction as to whether a build is regarded as "official" or "community", you helped me a lot with valuable information.
Although my tv box wasnt expensive, it comes with a quadcore, 4gb ram, 32gb ssd, gigabit lan and usb 3.0 and is eating like 13watt,  if possible i will use it to do some home server stuff. I think i will ditch the effort to access its gui via xrdp and look for other solutions, until then i will configure the neccessary stuff with an extra mouse and keyboard and then just place the box where i want to use it and hope i dont have to access its gui again for a while XP

1 hour ago, boxmeister said:

Although my tv box wasnt expensive

Most expensive component is software support, but a lot of it is shared. You should be happy if you can boot clean Linux and that it works so-so stable. Remember that hw was designed only to run desktop class OS, Android, where things - in this price tag - can crash / hang sometimes. Main chip is the same but other components - which contribute most to the price / stability - differ. There are no technical documentation, they are changing components (which is cheaper at the assembly time - this is also done by some board makers tbh) without further notice all the time, their software is often closed and each change needs to be reverse engineered, there are thousands of different variants ... and there is absolutely no vendor support which dramatically raise pressure on our private cash - we invest around 3.000 EUR worth of work every day and which is covered by you with around 0.5%

Welcome to invest your time to be able to understand our decisions https://forum.armbian.com/forum/54-help-wanted/

1 hour ago, boxmeister said:

"official" or "community",

Official is hw Armbian contributors agreed upon dealing with VS everything else. We created dedicated club forum for all TV boxes and Armbian project had a lot of additional costs which were needed to communicate "we don't want nor can (pay for) solve issues you have on this hardware".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.