Cubieboard 3 Newbie

vittoriob

Hi all

First of all Ciao to all the members of this forum!!

I'm just moving from RPi to CB3, all new for me.

I've booted up with latest version of Armbian (Armbian_5.10_Cubietruck_Debian_jessie_3.4.112) with a connected SSD.

I dont' see it in fdisk -l and if I go with dmesg | grep -i sata I get

[    1.265800] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 mmio [mem 0x01c18000-0x01c18fff] port 0x100 irq 88

[    1.610672] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

The cable that were inside the cubieboard package has two different power cables, one red/black and another yellow/black, and if I'm not wrong the first should go into 5v Sata connector and the yellow one in the 12v Sata connector.

Should I connect both or which one?

20160628_144131.jpg

Should I do something else to let armbian see the SSD?

By the way I've already formatted the SSD with two ext4 primary partitions.

Thanks

Vittorio

The cable that were inside the cubieboard package has two different power cables, one red/black and another yellow/black, and if I'm not wrong the first should go into 5v Sata connector and the yellow one in the 12v Sata connector.

Yes, Red/black is for 5V, yellow/black is for 12V. Even though 12V is useful only with additional board, you should connect both.

[    1.265800] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 mmio [mem 0x01c18000-0x01c18fff] port 0x100 irq 88

[    1.610672] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

This may be caused by a bad contact between onboard SATA connector and SATA cable.

BTW, I wouldn't call this "the latest version"

should I take the legacy or vanilla version?

The legacy is on Armbian_5.10_Cubietruck_Debian_jessie_3.4.112  and the vanilla is on Armbian_5.14_Cubietruck_Debian_jessie_4.6.2.7z for Cubietruck.

What are the differences?

Thanks

What are the differences?

You should choose vanilla version unless you need any of these features:

• HW accelerated video decoding
  • HW accelerated desktop composition
  • Onboard NAND storage
  • HDMI audio
  • S/PDIF audio
  • Onboard Bluetooth (will work with some extra configuration except for audio profiles)
  • Advanced battery settings (defaults are still good enough in most cases)

Edit: In any case you are most likely experiencing a hardware failure, image and kernel version shouldn't affect SATA for cubietruck

You should choose vanilla version unless you need any of these features:

• HW accelerated video decoding
  • HW accelerated desktop composition
  • Onboard NAND storage
  • HDMI audio
  • S/PDIF audio
  • Onboard Bluetooth (will work with some extra configuration except for audio profiles)
  • Advanced battery settings (defaults are still good enough in most cases)

Edit: In any case you are most likely experiencing a hardware failure, image and kernel version shouldn't affect SATA for cubietruck

HW Failure?  :o

How can I test it?

I found that the issue is the power from cubieboard. Using a tester I get 4.38volts.

Using an external 5v power (GPIO from RPi  :) ) I get it work. I'm getting 5.30volts.

Is there something I can do on the cubieboard?  :unsure:

Shame on me.

I was using the mini-USB cable instead of the DS Jack cable. Coming from RPi I tought was the same.

Now it's working perfectly.

In the meantime, I burned the Vanilla image, but no NAND support, and I see that also audio devices are also limited to USB and analog.

I would like to use it as Domoticz server and also with Kodi attached via HDMI. I will test the Vanilla and in case I will go back to legacy.

Thanks

PS: How can I add the Solved in the title?