File/folder: copy, transfer and replace

13hm13

I am copying a folder from one drive to another.

The transfer operation encounters duplicate files and ask me to Replace, Replace All, Skip, Skip All ,etc. Some of the files may be the same filename but different file-size (e.g., one is bigger than the other). If I choose Skip All, will Armbian Skip regardless of file-size? Or, if I select Skip All, will it show another message when it encounters same filename but different filesize?

If you're doing a simple copy (with Thunar, Nautilus, Dolphin or the simple cp command) there's no synchronisation mechanism, so it's either Replace All or Skip All, meaning it will replace every file present at the destination, or skip the copy of any file being present at the destination, regardless of its other attributes.

What you're looking for is a synchronisation software, like 'rsync'.

Though, you should try your hands with this software using a few dummy folders, since synchronisation softwares can be complex.

Rsync allow you to synchronise two folders, with options like "copy the files not present", or "only replace files that are more recent", ... And can also do that through the network.

I (and users at my company) are not yet comfortable with Linux Terminal/Command Line operations.  

The folder was dragged into new drive sub-directory. Same as what most folks are used to in Win/Mac environment. 

In Armbian, we ran into a few of those popups for Skip/Replace/etc. I think we mostly skipped.

Anyway, about 1.5TB of data was transferred. When we clicked on Properties on orig-drive and new-drive folders, they almost matched, but maybe the new folder was a few 100 NB smaller (with fewer files, too). This never happens in Windows.

Edited by 13hm13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.