MyGica 1960 S912B trying hard to get Ubuntu installed

FHam

Hi,

Could someone please help, I am trying to install Ubuntu on Mygica 1960 AML S912B currently running android 7.12.  I have watched so many YouTube videos and read articles on getting Linux installed on an android TV box and sadly I have not been successful.

I have tried all the following images;

Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.038_Aml-s9xxx_bullseye_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img

Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.038_Aml-s9xxx_eoan_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img

Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.037_Aml-s9xxx_buster_current_5.5.0-rc6_20200205.img

Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.037_Aml-s9xxx_bionic_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img

altlinux_mate_20190902.img

I have gone through so many files in the dtb directory.  I have copied them and renamed to dtb.img.  I get my TVBox to start firmware update via soft reset with a pin and I run dtb.img.

Every time I have done this I get the following;

--Install /sdcard/dtb.img

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

verifying update package...

E:footer is wrong

update package verification took 0.2 s (result 1).

E:Signature verification failed

E:error: 21

Installation aborted.

Is there any hope for me to get this box running Ubuntu?  Could someone please help?  

Many thanks

F.

Hey Tido,  Thank you for responding, I would have replied but this forum only allowed me to respond once a day (maybe because I am new to this forum)...

Anyhow, I tried to follow the link you have provided but got lost.  All I want to do is get my SD Card with the Linux running the right dtb file and knowing what files to modify.

I have attached pictures of the board in hope someone kind enough to help me (@balbes150 - Seeing as you are the Author to this forum, I am hoping maybe you might be able to direct me to a user friendly easy to follow, step-by-step guide (link) - This would be much appreciated).

Many thanks

F

kKWHd3.jpg

EzaaOi.jpg

LDplRp.jpg

Edited by FHam

19 minutes ago, FHam said:

but got lost. 

are you kidding me - this is as easy as it gets.

Download a file from here: https://yadi.sk/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/20.09/20200911  flash your SDcard.

1. Once finished, put the SDcard into your PC-Cardreader and adjust this to your needs:   The file "/extlinux/extlinux.conf" 
  2. All Amlogic models now look for the "u-boot.ext" file.  For your device make sure you rename this file:  =>  For s905x and s912 - use   u-boot-s905x-s912   to  u-boot.ext
  3. Put the SDcard in your TV-Box and power it

Thanks Tido, Seriously, I wish I was kidding.  I have already followed the steps prior to your message.  and I get the same error regardless of the dtb file I use.  I have renamed and tried both u-boot-s905x-s912 and the s922 --> renamed to u-boot.ext

See the screen capture below.  Note I have even tried copying the files and renaming it to dtb.img and I get the same crappy error message.  The 1st screen capture shows the use of the "meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb" which btw like all makes no difference.

btB6LU.jpg

YScAdY.jpg

lTTity.jpg

You have an error in your extlinux.conf: you should comment the rk3399 lines and uncomment 1 line of amlogic starting with fdt and the last one starting with append.

Here is the one I use for s912 boxes (you may change the dtb if the generic q200 is not relevant):

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd

# rk-3399
#FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3399-rock-pi-4.dtb
#FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3399-nanopc-t4.dtb
#APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff1a0000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

# rk-3328
#FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box-trn9.dtb
#FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box.dtb
#APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

# aw h6
#FDT /dtb/allwinner/sun50i-h6-tanix-tx6.dtb
#APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 video=HDMI-A-1:e
#APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mem=2048M video=HDMI-A-1:e

# aml s9xxx
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb
FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

And you may also change the extlinux.conf-menu file:

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

MENU TITLE Armbian boot
TIMEOUT 50

LABEL RK3399
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd
#FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3399-rock-pi-4.dtb
FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3399-nanopc-t4.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff1a0000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

LABEL RK3328
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd
#FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box-trn9.dtb
FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

LABEL H6
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd
FDT /dtb/allwinner/sun50i-h6-tanix-tx6.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 video=HDMI-A-1:e
#APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mem=2048M video=HDMI-A-1:e

LABEL AML s9xxx
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb
FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb
#FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

Hi Jeanrhum,

Thank you so much for your support.  I have followed your instructions and found that it still did not work (I have attached a link of a video showing the error message I get).  I then attempted again using your code for both ext files and still no joy.  I tried so many different dtb files and eventually gave up on this.  I did attempt to update the software via the pin at power (Shown on the video) as the update via  the android setup screen does not show any files to update the system with,

Also, fyi I did rename the u-boot file (i.e. u-boot-s905x-s912 renamed to u-boot.ext).

Also, Just want add I have tried various SD card (all Sandisk - ranging from 8 to 128 GB) also MyGica 1960 allows to update via USB and the video shows my attempt which sadly fails.

I would have replied sooner, but this forum has restrictions on how many replies I can make daily. 

Do forgive me the video recording is a bit poor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

F.

Edited by FHam

You shouldn't you android recovery. Have you installed a custom firmware or any alternative system that may have modified the original u-boot?

If so, just flash an original firmware and try again. If it doesn't boot directly try the toothpick method.

• Werner locked this topic