tvheadend on Odroid N2 with Hauppauge WinTV-dualDD

macerg

Hello, I'm tearing my hair out. Help would be much appreciated. Initially, I installed Armbian on an SD card and successfully installed tvheadend and got the tuner to scan successfully. Great, or so I thought. Time to build my 'real' system on a eMMC. After many repeated builds, I cannot, for the life of me, get a successful scan.  I'm using the 'predefined' network (UK Sutton Coldfield) which worked just fine before. I am running Armbian_20.08.1_Odroidn2_focal_current_5.8.5_desktop.

Edit (can only post one per day).

JMMC, what did I do different? Probably the order of things. I initially tried to install tvheadend via armbian-config, it didn't do anything. I installed from the repository. Did I do an 'update & upgrade' before that? Can't remember. Did I do an install firmware, full or part (from armbian-config) before or after? You see my point? Many combinations and permutations, tried a few but loosing track. I'll gladly accept your buster option. Thanks.

Edited by macerg
update for JMCC.

EDIT: No, it is a PPA

Try to do it like this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mamarley/tvheadend-git-stable
sudo apt update
sudo apt build-dep tvheadend
apt-get source tvheadend
cd tvheadend*
sudo apt install fakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b -rfakeroot -j6

If it fails saying there is no source package, just make sure that you uncomment the line starting with "deb-src" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tvheadend-git-stable.list

Hello, I'm tearing my hair out. Help would be much appreciated. Initially, I installed Armbian on an SD card and successfully installed tvheadend and got the tuner to scan successfully. Great, or so I thought. Time to build my 'real' system on a eMMC. After many repeated builds, I cannot, for the life of me, get a successful scan.  I'm using the 'predefined' network (UK Sutton Coldfield) which worked just fine before. I am running Armbian_20.08.1_Odroidn2_focal_current_5.8.5_desktop

Edited by macerg
typo

On 9/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, macerg said:

I installed Armbian on an SD card and successfully installed tvheadend and got the tuner to scan successfully.

Okay, what did you do different that time versus the last time that didn't work?

BTW

On 9/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, macerg said:

Armbian_20.08.1_Odroidn2_focal_current_5.8.5_desktop

If you don't have any problem with using Debian Buster, I can walk you through getting my working setup. I use Buster, my steps for Focal were not tested.

6 hours ago, macerg said:

Ok, my apologies for the duplicate posts. I've built tvheadend in Buster, it 'sees' the dongle but doesn't find any channels. I've run w_scan, again, card detected but no channels. To me, looks like the dongle is faulty. Progressing replacement.

Could be simply verified by retrying on a different computer (does not have to be a development board, laptop or similar will do) and see if the issue persists.

Which version did you build? Some versions need the default location for the frequency lists to be changed in the GUI, at least for buster.

Under General tab, change DVB scan files path to /usr/share/tvheadend/data/dvb-scan

Make sure it is not a firmware issue either. For my DVB tuner, even though the kernel recognizes it, I needed to download the firmware for it to work. Maybe ubuntu includes it, but not buster.

Check dmesg for firmware missing messages

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.