Realtek NIC driver dumps on Nano Pi Neo

mdrmdr

Armbianmonitor:

Hi all,

I'm new here at the Armbian board. I operate a self made house automation based on a Raspberry using a self written PHP server and Homegear.

To have a better wireless connection to a differential temperature sensor, I built a Homegear Gateway based on a Nano Pi Neo with Armbian OS and a 868 MHz CC1101 module.

For the network connection I use a Realtek USB WLAN NIC (Realtek RTL8188EUS-Chipset). Most of the time the gateway works.

But around 2-3 times per week the gateway hangs and I cannot log on anymore. A hard restart by unplugging power is required.

The only indications I find are 2 dumps of the RTL8188EU driver in kern.log. Check the 2 dumps at the far end of the armbianmonitor output starting at 24.009211.

I already built & installed the 8188EU(S) driver from here and here by myself. But unfortunateley without success.

Anybody any idea whats going on with my gateway?

Thanks a lot for help.

Update: Just had another crash. Maybe someone sees the reason here.

Update: 19.09: Since I cannot create a new answer (what's the reason behind "You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day"?), I add it here.

I just ordered a new NIC with a Ralink 5370 Chipset . Should arrive on monday. I operate the gateway with LAN until then. I'll report how it works with the new NIC.

Edited by mdrmdr

Armbian includes many wireless drivers from 3rd party repositories including this one as can be seen here: https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/7b6920a25f5d0561c338fa67c06b09c72dd8253c/lib/compilation-prepare.sh#L425

For the moment I suggest three things:

• If you have an USB-TTL adapter handy you should connect it, increase the console verbository to 7 (check Armbian documentation for that) and catch all output and wait for another hickup. Maybe there is something that has not been written to the sd card due to ramlog.
  • You can try reaching out to the mentioned repository above and point that issue out, maybe they can help faster since it is their driver and they know their code.
  • Try a different WiFI adapter for now if available and see if the issue persists.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:51 PM, mdrmdr said:

Update: Just had another crash. Maybe someone sees the reason

Those as cheap as possible Realtek wifi dongles have troubles from time to time. We mainly rely on upstream fixes.

I think there are also two drivers that are covering this chip and its worth doing some research into that direction. This https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8188eus is present in our kernel but probably the one that comes with the kernel is also enabled. You need to blacklist one, to make other work ... 

On 9/18/2020 at 9:51 PM, mdrmdr said:

You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day

Preventing spam and slowing users down for using most precious resources. You only need to wait one week before limits gets away. If you made a post that is valuable to anyone (and receive a thanks) or if you show some respect toward the project, limits are gone automatically. 

1 hour ago, Igor said:

...its worth doing some research into that direction. This https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8188eus ...

As written in my 1st post, I already tried this driver. Including the blacklisting. No success...

I'll wait for another NIC based on another chipset.

Preventing spam and slowing users down for using most precious resources...

Understood. But is quite unusual for me, once I wrote my first post, that I have to wait 24h to answer the first reply...

On 9/18/2020 at 12:51 PM, mdrmdr said:

The only indications I find are 2 dumps of the RTL8188EU driver in kern.log. Check the 2 dumps at the far end of the armbianmonitor output starting at 24.009211.

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but figured I'd mention it just in case:  These traps look somewhat similar to some that I fixed for the RTL8812AU driver (see https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/pull/704).  I don't have an RTL8188EU, but the changes are simple enough to try if you have some spare time - see https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/pull/704/commits/94340760e7d6144a2099eccbebb21dc53fe9fdeb.  Obviously you'll have to find the related lines in the 8188 sources to make the changes, but this should be pretty easy to try.

17 hours ago, 5kft said:

Obviously you'll have to find the related lines in the 8188 sources to make the changes, but this should be pretty easy to try.

I found those lines in the sources :-) But, as the new NIC with the Ralink 5370 chipset works without problems, I'll keep that configuration for now. Thanks to all...

On 9/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, 5kft said:

Obviously you'll have to find the related lines in the 8188 sources to make the changes, but this should be pretty easy to try.

Realtek lately has been a bit of a pain - lot of chips/variants on 8188, but they're different from a driver level...