Image customizations at build time

Irene

I am building a legacy desktop image for Rock64 and there are a few things I am trying to customize at build time.  I modified userpatches/customize-image.sh, but I am not getting expected results.  Here are some things I am trying to modify:

1. I want to have the desktop come up in solid black color, no image.  I made the following changes to userpatches/customize-image.sh:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options 'none'
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color '#000000'

But I am still seeing the Armbian image on my desktop.  What else do I have to modify?

2. I need to get rid of the prompt that asks for the root user password.  I added the following lines to userpatches/customize-image.sh:

rm -f /root/.not_logged_in_yet
echo -e "password\npassword" | (passwd root)

This got rid of the root password prompt, but now the image doesn't boot into the desktop GUI.  It stops at the Linux CLI prompt.  What else do I need to modify in customize-image.sh to make it boot into GUI?

3.  I need to create another user and I'd like to have my box automatically boot as this user.  I added the following lines to userpatches/customize-image.sh (in addition to stuff I added in #2 above):

echo -e "$PW\n$PW\n\n" | (adduser new_user)

What else do I have to modify to make the box boot as this user?

4. I would like to get rid of Locale prompt and always choose en_US.UTF-8.  How would I do that?

5. I am trying to add a systemd startup script at build time.  I added the following lines to userpatches/customize-image.sh:

cp /tmp/overlay/*.service /lib/systemd/system
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable myservice.service

I have myservice.service in userpatches/overlay directory.  But, the service doesn't start on my target.  

Thank you in advance for any help I can get!  Incidentally, it seems like I can only post to this forum once in a 24 hour period.  How can I get past this restriction?  My answers may be delayed due to this.

1 hour ago, Irene said:

How can I get past this restriction?

- buying a forum subscription to help cover the electricity bill

- adding a valuable forum content to receive a "like"

- waiting one week

1 hour ago, Irene said:

My answers may be delayed due to this.

This restriction is here for newcomers to calm down a bit and understand that it is on them to wait. Not regulars who will perhaps read, understand what you are asking and help you.

I got some of my build time customizations working by adding some commands to customize-image.sh.  The 2 I haven't figured out yet are the ones below.  If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.  I am building a legacy focal desktop image for Rock 64.  

1. I need the image to come up with a black screen background and no background image displayed.  The latest thing I tried calling the following in customize-image.sh, but it still didn't work:

DISPLAY=":0" gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.ColorChooser custom-colors "[(0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0)]"
    DISPLAY=":0" gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.ColorChooser selected-color "(true, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0)"

2. I don't want the top menu bar to be visible.  I just want my app's window to be displayed and nothing else.  How do I accomplish that at build time?

Given the gsettings you are running,  I assume you are using a GNOME desktop?    

if so  can you try,

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options 'none'

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color '#000000' 

Assuming that since you know the  user and you are using autologin  ( as that won't change the background for the display manager)  that will set a black background.

If this is e.g. an xfce, lxde , etc.  desktop,  that will not work.  

there are other gsettings keys that you can set to eliminate desktop icons, etc.  Your best bet would be to google gsettings 

Are you trying to build a kind of "kiosk" application?   XFCE is a much less resource intensive desktop than gnome and it actually has a kiosk mode--  you also have the capability of controlling the color of the desktop and what appears on a panel:  see here: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfconf/start.  

I am excited about the project that @Igor has mentioned;  for now,  I tend to build a "server" version of software and then install a desktop on the running system.  I imagine that would not work for you even if you used clonezilla or a like program to copy the configured image,  since you may need different network parameters for each installation... but I thought I would mention it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.