After reboot modules different version from kernel causing failures

counterpoint

I have two HC1s both running Armbian 10. Both of them respond to uname -r with:

4.14.187-odroidxu4

Yesterday, I rebooted one of them, and immediately started seeing errors. These turned out to be attributable to missing modules. The only directory in /lib/modules was  4.14.198-odroidxu4 which does not match the kernel version. The other HC1 still had a directory /lib/modules/4.14.187-odroidxu4. Prior to the reboot both systems were working.

How can this happen? My quick solution was to copy the 4.14.187-odroidxu4 directory from the working HC1 to the failed HC1, which solved the problems, at least for the time being. But what is the correct solution, especially if you don't happen to have a second HC1 immediately available? And is there any way to stop this happening again?

The solution is that this should not have happened :lol:

Modules aren't packed in a different deb package like it is on Ubuntu. That makes it even more weird and might indicate a packaging issue?

40 minutes ago, counterpoint said:

Armbian 10

There is no Armbian 10, but Debian 10 or Armbian 20.08.x :P

Or am I mistaken?

Nope, you are correct. Buster is the codename for Debian version 10 as Stretch for Debian 9 was ecetera.

I wanted to point out that Armbian has its own versioning (20.08 for example) which should not be mixed with version of flavors Armbian provides which are Debian and Ubuntu.

That is why usually we say Armbian 20.08 Focal for example to not bring confusion about numbers.

5 minutes ago, counterpoint said:

But where does that leave me?

I cannot answer that unfortunately. I am not very deep into this thing and there is also no fixed maintainer for Samsung afaik(?). Though maybe @Igor has an idea or I simply missed something.

@Werner why does Armbian use what look like Ubuntu versions for Debian based releases? That's quite confusing. Is Armbian Buster really based on Debian or Ubuntu?

@Igor I'm not entirely clear what you mean, but I do have the HC1s booting from the SD card but then loading the system from the SSD. Is that what you refer to? There are many conflicting instructions on how to do this. It would be useful to have an authoritative set of instructions. Does such a thing exist? My system gives for armbianmonitor -u: http://ix.io/2zbd

2 minutes ago, counterpoint said:

@Werner why does Armbian use what look like Ubuntu versions for Debian based releases? That's quite confusing.

I was not involved in the versioning number finding :P However you can find more information here: https://docs.armbian.com/Process_Release-Model/

Is Armbian Buster really based on Debian or Ubuntu?

Of course. But you do not have to trust me, just look at the code how everything is build together: https://github.com/armbian/build

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.