Methods to fix x96 max plus(s905x3) gigabit ethernet problem

flippy

I found the correct method to fix the bug that the x96-max-plus(s905x3) gigabit ethernet  does not work:

Up to now, only HK1Box/vontar x3 is the only s905x3 TV box that can be used perfectly in armbian.  So I extracted the bootloader of hk1box and wrote it into x96-max-plus, and it worked.

This method is very simple, so it is recommended to everyone in need.

Step 1:  upload three dtbs into /boot/dtb/amlogic :

meson-sm1-x96-max-plus-100m.dtb

meson-sm1-x96-max-plus.dtb

meson-sm1-hk1box-vontar-x3.dtb  (Similar to meson-sm1-x96-max-plus.dtb, only the modal name is changed)

Step 2:  modify /boot/uEnv.txt, replace dtb with meson-sm1-x96-max-plus-100m.dtb,  restart the Armbian system

Step 3:  upload hk1box-bootloader.img to /tmp

Step 4:  Run these commands under the shell:
dd if=/tmp/hk1box-bootloader.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1 count=442
dd if=/tmp/hk1box-bootloader.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=512 skip=1 seek=1
sync
reboot

Step 5:  modify /boot/uEnv.txt, replace dtb with meson-sm1-x96-max-plus.dtb, and restart again.

meson-sm1-x96-max-plus.dtb meson-sm1-x96-max-plus.dts meson-sm1-hk1box-vontar-x3.dtb meson-sm1-hk1box-vontar-x3.dts hk1box-bootloader.img.xz meson-sm1-x96-max-plus-100m.dtb meson-sm1-x96-max-plus-100m.dts

x96maxplus-orig-bootloader.img.xz

• flippy changed the title to Methods to fix x96 max plus(s905x3) gigabit ethernet problem
17 hours ago, hanguofu said:

Thanks for sharing your experience ! Did you make the wifi works at X96 Max Plus too ? As much as I know , X96 Max plus comes with rtl8822cs which is different from the one at HK1Box . Does the wifi works at HK1Box  with Armbian ?

No, rtl8822cs currently does not work in armbian.   hk1 box has a  bcm-43xx module and it works.

In dts, the compatible attribute of the wifi module is "brcm,bcm4329-fmac", which supports most Broadcom sdio modules, but rtl8822cs does not provide corresponding drivers in the mainline linux kernel.

Hi,

x96 max status:

- ethernet: there is a problem with the dwmac driver in the kernel. There was a discussion about it. I hope someone fix the rx-delay in the 5.10 release

- wifi: there is rtl8822cs driver in the kernel, but it's not completed - when realtek finish the driver (sdio part) it would work.

- bluetooth: there is a driver in the kernel, but it depends on the wifi part

best regards,

• Werner featured this topic

Tested

Ethernet speed 1000Mb reported , but speedtest.net only gets about 100Mb down and 200Mb up.

No sound , and Android don't start.

Restore X96 max + bootloader , Android works  and sound (100 Mb /s)

On 10/2/2020 at 12:40 PM, gcsuri said:

Hi,

x96 max status:

- ethernet: there is a problem with the dwmac driver in the kernel. There was a discussion about it. I hope someone fix the rx-delay in the 5.10 release

- wifi: there is rtl8822cs driver in the kernel, but it's not completed - when realtek finish the driver (sdio part) it would work.

- bluetooth: there is a driver in the kernel, but it depends on the wifi part

best regards,

Hi,

I hope you can realize these points as soon as possible. These few questions have been bothering me.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, Gausus said:

Tested

Ethernet speed 1000Mb reported , but speedtest.net only gets about 100Mb down and 200Mb up.

No sound , and Android don't start.

Restore X96 max + bootloader , Android works  and sound (100 Mb /s)

After replacing the bootloader, the iperf3 benchmark can reach gigabit. of course, the dtb provided in the attachment should also be replaced at the same time, please do not use meson-sm1-sei610.dtb or meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb. I mainly use it for openwrt firmware. As you said, Android does not support booting after replacing the bootloader.

• Werner locked this topic