reboot command doesn't work for NanoPi M4 on the "current" images

jasonyang

Hi,

I was trying to load below Armbian images into NanoPi M4 (just M4, neither M4B nor M4V2). They are able to be loaded in the first place, but when I reboot the board by typing "reboot" command in the terminal, I can only see black screen showing on the monitor, no led flashing on the board even, and the board never boots up again.

If I unplug the power cable and plug back again, it boots as expected. Is there any way I can reboot the board remotely?

Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopim4_buster_current_5.8.6_desktop.img.xz

Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopim4_buster_current_5.8.6.img.xz

Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopim4_bionic_current_5.8.6.img.xz

Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopim4_focal_current_5.8.6.img.xz

As these are in the recommended image list for M4, do we have images with kernel version greater than 5 you guys would recommend?

Thanks,

Jason

Bump up again.

It seems to be an issue for months time without any fix, and it's an obvious and serious issue affecting NanoPi M4 to work remotely.

The reboot command works fine in previous revision with 5.2 kernel. 

Edited by jasonyang

31 minutes ago, NicoD said:

@jasonyangHi. Reboot seems to be working fine for me. Just tried with M4 and kernel 5.9.11. 
How do you reboot?
sudo reboot? 
What have you all plugged in? Maybe some device is stopping it to reboot. 

Hi @NicoD Nice to hearing from you here (beside Youtube :))

The board is NanoPi M4 (just M4, neither M4B nor M4V2) and I have removed all other peripherals during my testing, only usb keyboard, usb bluetooth dongle for wireless mouse, and hdmi cable for 24 inch monitor.

I have tried below two images and both have issue for reboot, apt upgrade would upgrade it to 5.9.11 but the reboot command doesn't work for me either.

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/armbian-dl/nanopim4/archive/Armbian_20.11_Nanopim4_buster_current_5.9.10.img.xz

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/armbian-dl/nanopim4/archive/Armbian_20.11_Nanopim4_buster_current_5.9.10_desktop.img.xz

So after installation, the first boot works good, but after that, if I "sudo reboot" in terminal or click reboot button on the GUI (if it's the image for desktop), I can only see black screen showing on the monitor, no led flashing on the board even, and the board never boots up again. It seems the reboot sequence would power down the board but doesn't power it up again.

I think it's not hardware problem, as below old Armbian image is working fine in the same testing environment, "sudo reboot" could reboot the board correctly, but it has been working for a long while I was thinking to do an upgrade to newer image.

Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 5.2.0-rk3399

Kernel: 5.2.0-rk3399

Which board have you been using to test the images, M4, M4B or M4V2, and which image have you been using?

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by jasonyang

How are you powering the board? With power bank it can be that the load gets too low and it shuts down the power of the power bank. 
I've had this with low consumption boards.
Do you have a fan? Connected to 5V pins? With these connected you could solve the issue since power is always on on the gpio's. 

10 hours ago, NicoD said:

How are you powering the board? With power bank it can be that the load gets too low and it shuts down the power of the power bank. 
I've had this with low consumption boards.
Do you have a fan? Connected to 5V pins? With these connected you could solve the issue since power is always on on the gpio's. 

It is powered by 5v3A usb-c charger (not the PD one), or m4 sata-hat + 12v3a PSU.

I have tried the latest Armbian focal desktop image on SD card with the usb-c charger, "sudo reboot" doesn't work for me unfortunately. It looks to power down the board instead, rather than reboot it.

Then, I tried the m4 sata-hat + 12v3a PSU, "sudo reboot" doesn't work either.

However, the old "Bionic Armbian 5.2.0" image works fine for both PSU cases.

The latest Friendlycore image (bionic 4.4 and focal 4.19) also work out of the box, "sudo reboot" can restart the board just in a few seconds.

I've really got no clue what could cause this. Problem is that I can't reproduce this on my M4. 
Did you try with focal 5.9? Maybe another sd card, tho I don't suspect that could cause this. 
If anyone else has this issue, please speak up. 

1 hour ago, NicoD said:

I've really got no clue what could cause this. Problem is that I can't reproduce this on my M4. 
Did you try with focal 5.9? Maybe another sd card, tho I don't suspect that could cause this. 

Yes, I tried focal 5.9.10 in two sd cards. The sd cards are burned by balena Etcher, which will verify the burned image afterwards.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, NicoD said:

Just FYI that, the board is now functioning correctly with the ROMs updated last weekend ;-)