Need directions with accelerated video

bozden

OK, being away for a while and having 5.x kernel and sunxi_cedrus around I need some directions. I had some embedded 3.x desktop installations in a community museum showing videos (using mpv after a button press) which need revising. So I decided to update the firmware/scripts etc. These are Orange Pi One's...

In the past I installed 3.x desktop version as it has better video acceleration. What should I do now? I don't see a focal desktop in downloads.

Is it OK to use the focal server, install xfce4 on top of it? Will I have video acceleration?

I've been using HEVC .mkv files...

Thanks in advance

Bülent

~# uname -a
Linux myhostname 5.8.16-sunxi #20.08.12 SMP Sat Oct 17 13:46:53 CEST 2020 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

:~# dmesg | grep -i cedr
[    6.324285] sunxi_cedrus: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[    6.331485] cedrus 1c0e000.video-codec: Device registered as /dev/video0

You did not ask for it :P

Just kidding, glad you could figure it out.

Anyway, we cannot provide each kernel branch in each flavor for each board. Would simply be way too much images to build and data to move around. However you always have the option to use the build script to build any flavor with any kernel branch available for your board.

Yep :) For years I ran away from that, too much detail for me - and I was afraid to fail, Linux is my second language :P. I spent last night on reading and applying, as of now I already have build all default images for all my boards.

I was using scripting to modify the default setup, probably I will be able to create special purpose images (I think, I hope, ...).