OMV5 installation on odroid c4 buster image 20.08.1 (5.8.5) deletes network configuration

Franky66

I flashed the image Armbian_20.08.1_Odroidc4_buster_current_5.8.5.img on my new odroid c4 without installing the latest updates (see my other post with no boot anymore after kernel update). After this I started via softy installation of omv5. During installation I wondered why my ssh connection was gone without any output.

During installation there is a reboot of the os and the networking is not coming up anymore. I tried to find out and found:

- armbian uses network manager for networking and the default config file is for dhcp

- after omv5 installation network manager seems to be deinstalled and also there is a new empty config file under /etc/networking (which is not used from network manager)

- so I have to repair this manually via direct access to the shell and after reboot network is ok

I didn't see this behavior on my odroids n2 which I installed some month before.

Should I also post this on openmediavault forum because this shouldn't happen. Seems that there is a mismatch in the salt config when using this armbian version and using installation skript via softy.

On 10/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, Franky66 said:

networking is not coming up anymore.

Its not a problem of network configuration, but sadly Linux community on this planet doesn't have an answer to why this board hangs on reboot. https://freenode.irclog.whitequark.org/armbian/2020-10-23#28203588;

That information is also written on the download page: https://www.armbian.com/odroid-c4/ that you hopefully don't waste yours and more of our time. 

Workaround, until this is fixed, is power cycle. Or using old kernel which lacks many other things and which we will dump the moment this bug is resolved.