Board Bring Up Station P1 rk3399, M1 rk3328

balbes150

I've build a new working image. Bionic mainline. HDMI works, flashing led works. I'm happy :) 
Now "Station P1" instead of "Roc-RK3399-pc". 
I wonder if the repos of Focal will ever improve. Still all the bugs that were there when it was new. A bit a shame.  

Just now, Igor said:

Which bugs?

It's in games mostly. All Ubuntu repo's. (nexiuz, alien Arena, ...)
And a few programs that do not work correctly. Like Blender, but this is because the later versions need OpenGL3.0. What is not available yet in panfrost
I'm often unable to install 2.79 on Focal. And sometimes it does work, so I've no clue why, what or how. 

So nothing that Armbian can help. But it does stop me from switching to Focal. 

Back to dev and 5.10.1. HDMI and desktop works. Analog audio does not.

Also having trouble adjusting the resolution.

I would need 1920x1200 but only get 1920x1080. xrandr cannot fix it: "configure crtc 0 failed"

Setting via armbianEnv.txt also did not work for me. Tried adding extraargs=video=1920x1200@60

HDMI simply stops working with this. I am perfectly sure though that the monitor supports these settings.

Trying to dig further. Maybe somebody has an idea in the meantime.

18 minutes ago, NicoD said:

So nothing that Armbian can help. But it does stop me from switching to Focal. 

Desktop branch provides Groovy, Hirsute (Ubuntu 21.04) and Debian Sid in EXPERT="yes" mode. They comes with latest packages but its purely experimental. I have no idea if that will solve your problems, but its worth trying.

1 minute ago, Igor said:

Desktop branch provides Groovy, Hirsute (Ubuntu 21.04) and Debian Sid in EXPERT="yes" mode. They comes with latest packages but its purely experimental. I have no idea if that will solve your problems, but its worth trying.

Thank you. I'll try that. For now I've got everything I need working in Bionic. 
I'll let the RockPiX do another build. It is slow, but steady :)
@Werner I'm on 5.9.15 Bionic and can confirm analog audio not working. HDMI sound works fine.
I'm using a 1080p display so can't test that resolution.

14 minutes ago, Igor said:

Hirsute (Ubuntu 21.04) and Debian Sid in EXPERT="yes" mode.

I've got groovy and bullseye. But no Hirsute or Sid. EXPERT="yes". The same for dev, current and legacy.
image.png.026c4b33f5cae955f1954aa3a25bf821.pngimage.png.42fe4ec711194f0219140348c2fa7f22.png
I'd love to try Hirsute. 

7 minutes ago, Werner said:

Dont have either a monitor with speakers nor some kind a splitter. So no sound for me :unsure:

Is there no audio out on your monitor? I've also got an HDMI monitor without speakers but with a 3.5mm plug on the sides. 
Otherwise I use a lot of USB audio adapters. They are very cheap and work on everything. Have input and output. So I need it to record a microphone.
I got many different types but these are my favorite. 
https://www.amazon.de/Sabrent-Soundkarte-External-erforderlich-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=usb+audio+adapter&qid=1608136477&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A1S41JW81H0D20&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSUhTTkQwQk5IQ1JIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjczNTQzMUZMNkdLMkhEUzFPVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODY2OTI0M1BIMkRGRjRQUElNTSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Cheaper but probably as good. 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001304650882.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4caa60c5xNIJhX&algo_pvid=7c32f1c5-8bbb-42ec-821d-d52c797290bb&algo_expid=7c32f1c5-8bbb-42ec-821d-d52c797290bb-30&btsid=0b0a556b16081364157233010ee6a1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Just those with a cable I've got bad experiences with. I use this when camping, so with every movement those with cables have bad contacts. 
These do give better sound than most on-board 3.5mm sound. Certainly for the old Raspberries. Those have awful on-board sound. 
Even with my M4V2 it's better to use the USB audio adapter since it gives a bit more volume when using headphones.

10 minutes ago, NicoD said:

I've got groovy and bullseye. But no Hirsute or Sid. EXPERT="yes". The same for dev, current and legacy.

./compile.sh LIB_TAG=desktop EXPERT=yes

4 minutes ago, Igor said:

./compile.sh LIB_TAG=desktop EXPERT=yes

Still the same. ./compile.sh LIB_TAB="desktop" EXPERT="yes"
and what you wrote, and a mix of both. ./compile.sh LIB_TAB=desktop EXPERT="yes" :(

Just now, NicoD said:

That's it, wrong branch :) 
Thank you.

Please share on whatever you were successful and where not.

As for me I can only share the obvious: USB-C works barely with legacy and not at all with mainline :lol:

6 minutes ago, Werner said:

USB-C works barely with legacy and not at all with mainline :lol:

Also noticed that. Power ok, but not communication. 
It also overheats too easily for such a nice heatsink/case. I suspect there's a thermal resistor pad. I'll see to replace it with copper shims and some thermal paste when done with benchmarks. Heatsink never goes over 45C when CPU throttles at 85C.

P.S.: I also wonder on the DP support. I'll order a USB type-C to hdmi adapter.

1 hour ago, NicoD said:

Is there no audio out on your monitor?

You were right. There was indeed an audio jack. Thanks.

Though until this resolution thing is fixed I will probably not do much with it because it looks awful stretched and the monitor has no option to keep aspect ratio by compensating with black bars :(

I do have a 2nd FHD TFT in basement but it does not have HDMI. DVI and VGA only.

21 minutes ago, Werner said:

I do have a 2nd FHD TFT in basement but it does not have HDMI. DVI and VGA only.

You could try with a hdmi to vga adapter. Also very cheap, but not all of them work as good. I've also got a few of them. RaspberryPi brand is sh!t.
VGA->HDMI is a lot more expensive, so be sure to buy the correct one if you do.
Just tried with hdmi->vga adapter and it works immediatly.DSCN6371.thumb.JPG.e3a74da574c608cfd7cd090857f6daf5.JPG

HDMI -> DVI should also work. I don't have one, so never tried. 

PS.: You do loose sound with VGA, there are some adapters that also split sound.

@Werner Some minor fixes for legacy (WIP): https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2475

Audio could work - shows up in aplay but not really tested

HDMI works for me @ WQHD - tested only with console.

RTC also works now.

5 hours ago, NicoD said:

P.S.: I also wonder on the DP support. I'll order a USB type-C to hdmi adapter.

Currently it totally borks HDMI in legacy so I disabled it...

1 hour ago, Werner said:

Can you give me a hint how you managed to adjust the console resolution?

Well, I didn't do anything. It simply uses the native resolution of the display I tried it with.

This resolution however doesn't work for me in mainline - only for legacy. In mainline it sets FHD instead,

There are some patches for additional resolutions but I never got to try them - I don't even have a monitor on my desk ;)

15 часов назад, NicoD сказал:

I'll let the RockPiX do another build. It is slow, but steady

Throw away this intel shit. use the native build on rk3399. This is faster and without any stupid Trojans in Intel x86.

8 часов назад, piter75 сказал:

Some minor fixes for legacy

You use the source code from Friendlyelec , they are significantly worse. It is better to use the ones that go for rockchip64-legacy (there are also sources for analog audio 8323\8388)

https://github.com/150balbes/build/blob/armbian-tv/config/boards/station-p1.conf#L3

https://github.com/150balbes/build/blob/armbian-tv/config/sources/families/include/rockchip64_common.inc#L51

And the kernel config that WiFi works with.

https://github.com/150balbes/build/blob/armbian-tv/config/kernel/linux-rockchip64-p1-legacy.config

PS I wanted to create a PR with the change, but so far I have suspended it until we discuss and agree on these changes.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, balbes150 said:

i have everything working. i recommend trying really tested images on p1. :)

http://bbs.t-firefly.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2781&page=1#pid13344

Confirmed HDMI working on your legacy image.

Legacy built from trunk does not.

1920x1200 works oob with legacy. Though it is harder to get hw accel to work with it.

2 часа назад, Werner сказал:

1920x1200 works oob with legacy.

can you check more images from the ArmbianTV (they use a common kernel with LE with improvement for media) directory with the 5.10 kernel ? It's interesting to know if your screen resolution will work or not. it is also advisable to check the versions of images of different DE (mate\kde-plazma etc), it is interesting to find out if these DE have their own features of working with the screen..

26 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

can you check more images from the ArmbianTV

Yes. I grabbed this one: Armbian_20.12_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.10.1_desktop.img.xz

Added fdtfile=rockhip/rk3399-roc-pc-mezzanine.dtb

and booted right away.

Desktop does not start automatically, needs startx

Resolution is 1920x1080 and cannot be changed to 1920x1200 via GUI.

Renderer is LLVM, so no hardware acceleration OOB. I'll try to install panfrost from source on top. I am stupid. I should have enabled glamor in xorg conf...

Will also try to use xrandr to adjust resolution but I have my doubts that it will work....

Edit. Yep, xrandr failed as expected:

xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed