Board Bring Up Station P1 rk3399, M1 rk3328

balbes150

57 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

WiFi works if you use this image and replace the DTB in it with a new one.

https://yadi.sk/d/gwkAREv3dVbd8A?w=1

All working well now. Awesome. Will this dtb be included into upcoming images? I'll probably make the video tomorrow. I've got everything I need, I just need an url to point at. Big thanks.

Edit. Only thing that's not working is USB type-C. On no armbian image it is working as should. It does give power to a hub. It sometimes shows a plugged in device, but they never work. It's a detail that I'm not concerned about.

12 минут назад, JMCC сказал:

In what pertains to me, better doing it now, since I have not yet done the task of adding a number index to the patches

We are waiting for a response from @Igor and @piter75 and other maintainers who are associated with Legacy on rk3399 (rockchip64).  :)

I am already in the upload process ... need to push out this release faster to merge desktop branch sooner. An update release just for those boards can be done whenever ready, next week perhaps. Don't worry.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

We are waiting for a response from @Igor and @piter75 and other maintainers who are associated with Legacy on rk3399 (rockchip64).  :)

IIRC I already agreed to changing the patch naming scheme for rockchip64 legacy kernels in the github discussion few weeks ago.

I would interpret the lack of response from others as indifference ;p

... or are we talking about other missing response?

BTW. I also received my mezzanine board which I reordered from AliExpress seller after previous order being cancelled resulted in a refund.

The order went smooth this time. 

I would like to bring something to attention. Right now, Station P1 and M1 legacy are being added as new kernel packages. I think ideally, the changes should be merged into some of the existing RK3399/Rockchip64 legacy kernels. We were aiming to reduce the multiplicity of RK kernels, but now we are introducing two new kernel packages, station-m1 and station-p1, one of each for a single device.

Of course, I understand all the work involved on bringing up a new board, and how frustrating it is when new kernel configs or patches conflict with the existing one. But it is probably worth the effort to try and merge the changes for P1/M1 into Rockchip64, if that were possible.

@piter75 @martinayotte @balbes150 @TonyMac32 @Igor What do you think?

3 minutes ago, JMCC said:

Of course, I understand all the work involved on bringing up a new board, and how frustrating it is when new kernel configs or patches conflict with the existing one. But it is probably worth the effort to try and merge the changes for P1/M1 into Rockchip64, if that were possible.

With legacy kernels it's usually always a question of compromise - in this case it was losing wireless support at one of the boards. By having per board kernel family, we don't.

26 minutes ago, Igor said:

With legacy kernels it's usually always a question of compromise - in this case it was losing wireless support at one of the boards. By having per board kernel family, we don't.

This is true.  However, I see little value in another kernel for any single board.  The Station boards do not warrant that much special attention, let them exist without wifi until support can be properly managed by the vendor if they want Armbian.  The world is overflowing with RK3328 and RK3399 boards.  🤷🏼‍♂️

1 час назад, JMCC сказал:

What do you think?

I am checking out new patches and now I can use the common kernel and configuration from rockchip64 to P1.

I need time to check on the M1. I hope to get full support for M1\P1 with existing configurations ( may have to make small additions to them for modules, but this is not critical for other models).  :)

1 час назад, Igor сказал:

I managed to get WiFi to work on P1 with the current kernel and configuration for rockchip64-legacy.

11 минут назад, TonyMac32 сказал:

The Station boards do not warrant that much special attention, let them exist without wifi until support can be properly managed by the vendor if they want Armbian.

I've already found a solution ... :) By the way, today almost all the hardware works for M1\P1 with Legacy core, I have to solve the issue with NVMe for P1, but I hope to spend more time porting the received settings to the main core - this is a higher priority for me.  :)

1 minute ago, balbes150 said:

I've already found a solution ... :) By the way, today almost all the hardware works for M1\P1 with Legacy core, I have to solve the issue with NVMe for P1, but I hope to spend more time porting the received settings to the main core - this is a higher priority for me.  :)

Do you have a chance to test monitor with "unusual" resolutions like 16:10 (1920x1200) with P1? I found that on mainline this does not work for me. That is why I am stuck with legacy with my P1.

45 минут назад, Werner сказал:

Do you have a chance to test monitor with "unusual" resolutions like 16:10 (1920x1200) with P1? I found that on mainline this does not work for me. That is why I am stuck with legacy with my P1.

I looked, I don't have such permission in the list of available ones. I checked on the 4K TV, there is also no such resolution.

2 hours ago, JMCC said:

But it is probably worth the effort to try and merge the changes for P1/M1 into Rockchip64, if that were possible.

I totally agree and if I understood the communication in the corresponding PRs correctly - having separate configuration for P1/M1 was always a temporary solution until the changes were merged back into the main family.

Sent the PR for Legacy to the desktop branch. I checked the work of WiFi, analog sound and remote control on P1 and M1, everything works. Additionally, I removed useless elements from the kernel configuration that are only needed for smartphones and tablets.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:39 PM, balbes150 said:

@NicoD  I uploaded new Legacy images 20210204 to the site with support for WiFi NVMe and analog audio for the P1. :)

The Buster legacy isn't booting. Stuck on that striped screen. https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/firefly_station_p1/Armbian/
I also tried the latest Buster legacy from the armbian download page for P1. There NVMe isn't working. https://www.armbian.com/station-p1/

With the Buster Legacy image from a few days ago that had NVMe working, I did update/upgrade and installed the media script. And it also didn't boot anymore after that. 

12 часов назад, NicoD сказал:

The Buster legacy isn't booting. Stuck on that striped screen. https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/firefly_station_p1/Armbian/
I also tried the latest Buster legacy from the armbian download page for P1. There NVMe isn't working. https://www.armbian.com/station-p1/

With the Buster Legacy image from a few days ago that had NVMe working, I did update/upgrade and installed the media script. And it also didn't boot anymore after that. 

I tested the latest versions from this link, booting from USB media works and all items work with DTB by default (except NVMe). By default, DTB does not support NVMe, if you need NVMe, you need to replace DTB with a second link.

https://yadi.sk/d/TnDjwCsvG9-nuA?w=1

DTB for NVMe

https://yadi.sk/d/UgUTCAw8mxijYw?w=1

@NicoDI checked the image of Buster is a Legacy from this link.

https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/firefly_station_p1/Armbian/

I wrote it to the SD card and started it on P1 (with the NVMe module connected), everything starts and works. Yes, when running for 1 second, I see a "grid" on the screen (this is the u-boot splash screen) and the startup continues on without any problems. Which TV do you use ? Is it possible that unsupported data from the TV is received during the mode survey ? Try to force the permission in the extlinux.conf file (in the APPENDS argument).

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

@NicoDDo you have a photo with the maximum resolution of the main board P1 top view and bottom view ? I am interested in marking the ES83xx sound chip.

I don't have a good camera. I did take some pictures of the top, not from the bottom. I did film the replacing of the thermal pad, but it isn't sharp enough to see anything. I'd need to disassemble the whole thing to be able to see the bottom. 
image.png.1121f02b5744a700f4314fc85d756fb5.pngFront.thumb.jpg.2f98f187fcc6a9c7ae1e24cfac6ee925.jpg
There are some pictures of it here. https://download.t-firefly.com/产品规格文档/开源主板/ROC-RK3399-PC Plus - Specification.pdf?

back.thumb.jpg.36c90a2e21f61fb42e59065e53983a3d.jpgfront2.thumb.jpg.2280c470db5e03a8aa4cc74d16e150ec.jpg

I'm using a normal 1080p pc display. No tv. I'll try again. I also tried the focal mainline from your folder and it also didn't boot. Also stuck at those stripes. I didn't know USB boot worked. I'll try that too.