NanoPI NEO / AIR

I got my NanoPi Neo Air last week. But in my box there was no IPX antenna included. Additional pin headers availbale - but not antenna.

According the item list an antenna should be included:

http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=151

The antenna should be inside the bag of the pin headers?

Peter

When I purchased mine months ago they didn't include an antenna or even mention in the wiki/docs they provided that one is required. I have noticed now that they updated to reflect that hardware requirement and furthermore, saw that in the listing they now have antennas in the description and the pictures. So I'm confidant you should of received an antenna, just didn't. :(

On 26.02.2017 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer said:

There's no wifi antenna included.

FriendlyELEC got a lot of negative feedback regarding missing antenna and so decided already months ago to include a small one -- web.archive.org copy from 8th Nov 2016: http://web.archive.org/web/20161108171715/http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=151

On 2/2/2017 at 4:48 PM, martinayotte said:

If you use newest build images, we now provide some overlays in the /boot/dtb/overlay folder, and your can activate them in /boot/armbianEnv.txt with :

overlays=uart1-enable uart2-enable i2c0 spi0-spidev

just FYI if anyone will be looking in the newest kernel/nightly it should be:

overlays=sun8i-h3-uart1 sun8i-h3-uart2 sun8i-h3-uart3 sun8i-h3-usbhost0 sun8i-h3-usbhost2 sun8i-h3-usbhost3

5 minutes ago, kabturek said:

just FYI if anyone will be looking in the newest kernel/nightly it should be:

overlays=sun8i-h3-uart1 sun8i-h3-uart2 sun8i-h3-uart3 sun8i-h3-usbhost0 sun8i-h3-usbhost2 sun8i-h3-usbhost3

For anyone looking here - please look at DT overlays documentation first, since this syntax is for older boot script and environment file and doesn't apply on newest nightlies.

I use Armbian_5.25_Nanopiair_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113 and try to use a clock module DS3231 on I²C.

But i still don't get working.

I install i2c-tools and did a scan i2detect -y1 but i don't get an answer. It looks like this:

root@nanopiair:~# i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

How can i use the i2c?

Oh - think i got it. 

"i2cdetect -y 0" give me a hint,  

Hi everyone, 

Im quite new to the NanoPi product line and gotta say that so far are they treating me well. I am planning on using a few of them in attempt to make a small Hadloop cluster, nothing fancy just for me to practice cluster codes before i jump on the big rig. 

anyhow to my question:

Im planning on having 4 of them, to start with, sharing powersupply and heatsink. they are mounted on the heat sink (aluminium), and ive noticed the mounting holes are connected to ground. So as i share power source and the heatsink is a good conductur, i though about using the heatsink as common ground for the power. Is this to be recomended? or should i add regular ground cables as well and use plastic screws to isolate each board. 

what do you guys think? 

btw if you are curious I can tell more about the project. 

Andolf

On 5/6/2017 at 5:24 PM, andolf said:

Hi everyone, 

Im quite new to the NanoPi product line and gotta say that so far are they treating me well. I am planning on using a few of them in attempt to make a small Hadloop cluster, nothing fancy just for me to practice cluster codes before i jump on the big rig. 

anyhow to my question:

Im planning on having 4 of them, to start with, sharing powersupply and heatsink. they are mounted on the heat sink (aluminium), and ive noticed the mounting holes are connected to ground. So as i share power source and the heatsink is a good conductur, i though about using the heatsink as common ground for the power. Is this to be recomended? or should i add regular ground cables as well and use plastic screws to isolate each board. 

what do you guys think? 

btw if you are curious I can tell more about the project. 

Andolf

I don't think it's a 'bad' idea exactly.  I wouldn't recommend it though. Granted I can't picture your configuration in my minds eye but wouldn't you have to add tabs or modify the heatsinks in some way to allow for the common ground? Effectively restricting airflow and w/e else, inhibiting it's actual function?

Also, several SBC's using the same heatsink? Wouldn't there be a propensity for that thing to get extra hot?

Couldn't you just use the mounting holes along with a series of standoff screws to make those a common ground? Again, maybe not since I'm not exactly sure of how you want to lay them out but in any case, not what I would personally do.
W/e though. Tinker around with it, post/document the project on Github. Link and share here when your done.:D

Ok, 

well so I have I think I got most of it sorted out, I just have to work a bit more with CAD to get the networking working...

I'll try to make a small build blog. but will probably be until the end of summer.

Here's the rough outline:

- Whiskey bottle case ca 210x100 mm in size( making the server a discrete addition to my living room/office or wherever it will end up. 

- Dell 240W laptop charger (19,5V 13A) (got one laying around, might go bigger)

- An LK 75 heatsink from ELV.de : good for at least 240W if I understood right. 

- Up to 24 x NanoPi Neo Air( had the best arrangement of CPU/RAM/connectors)

- A step-down converter for each pi on custom PCB (keep it simple: buy ready-made modules on eBay) 

- USB to ethernet and switches on custom PCB (drawback for Air as ethernet aren't exposed)

- 1 or 2 60mm fans.  

I've made a rough estimated CAD:

http://a360.co/2rsYFYm (viewable in 3D and able to explode all parts(8th button), the case is made transparent for easy viewing) 

if it all works with the 4 pi's I got, it's just a matter of buying more. I will also share the CAD if all works out, though not being a pro at this, 

Thinking of going wifi to the server, making it a bit slower to upload work and download results, but should be good enough for a test rig. infact thinking of going all wifi, to start with, before going all in on custom PCBs. 

anyways, ill let you know what happens, and I hope for rainy days;) 

/andolf