Current status of the Orange Pi 3 (H6)

Laucian

I am considering the purchase of an Orange Pi 3 and I was wondering how well it is supported by the current Armbian image. According to https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort it should work mostly fine.

How well does Panfrost run on the board?

Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Laucian said:

Do you use heatsinks or fans?

Heatsink on H6 is must have in case you want to get the full out of it. I have some small one which is on the edge of throttling.

Spoiler

sP1190320.JPG

9 hours ago, Laucian said:

I am considering the purchase of an Orange Pi 3

I personally like the PineH64 more. The same SoC, but with 3GB(4GB on-board, 1GB unusable), lower temperatures. But it gets a little less love from developers than the OPi's. For most things it is the same, but I can't garantee all hardware features will work well.
Panfrost on H6 doesn't perform well. For that the RK3399's are a lot more powerful. So OPi4. 

2 hours ago, NicoD said:

I personally like the PineH64 more.

Me too. I just tested it last week and it felt much smoother than OPi3. For example, ~125 MiB file is consistently transferred in ~2 seconds on pineh64, while on OPi3 can also sometimes takes 2 seconds, but most of the time 8-14 seconds (all via scp).

2 hours ago, NicoD said:

But it gets a little less love from developers than the OPi's.

Why do you think so? AFAICT almost everything is mainlined, with wifi patch merged yesterday and bluetooth not yet, but patches exist. On the other hand, OPi3 still requires several out-of-tree patches for ethernet due to unusual ethernet phy power design.

5 hours ago, jernej said:

Why do you think so?

I did say the OPi's in plural. ;)
Also because I read a lot more on the forum about the OPi's than about the PineH64. But that could be a good thing too. It used to be behind, good to know it made it up.
I don't use the H6 much. It had a lot of potential, but hasn't impressed me much yet. My love goes more to the OPi+. It's old but does such a good job for me.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:16 PM, Laucian said:

Thanks for the reply. That's a great uptime. Do you use heatsinks or fans? What are your temperatures like? Do you use the 5V/2A power supply from the maker or something else?

small heatsink.  I have a fan that lightly blows on the whole cluster.   I power it from a 10-port USB charger.   temp was probably in 42C

after boasting I to you about it I messed something up accidentally shutdown and now it won't boot lol.