[Odroid C2] Upgrading fresh 5.14 to 5.16 fails

Asysob

I do have problems on my two Odroid C2 after "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade". It happens on a freshly installed Armbian_5.14_Odroidc2_Debian_jessie_3.14.72 (on a 64GB eMMC) immediately after the first login (so at least in principle, i can't be the culprit, but who knows :blink: ):

The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-dtb-odroidc2 linux-headers-odroidc2 linux-image-odroidc2 linux-jessie-root-odroidc2 linux-libc-dev
  linux-u-boot-odroidc2-default tzdata

Preparing to unpack .../linux-dtb-odroidc2_5.16_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-dtb-odroidc2 (5.16) over (5.14) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-odroidc2_5.16_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-odroidc2 (5.16) over (5.14) ...
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts/selinux/mdp': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts/selinux/genheaders': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts/selinux': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts/basic': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts/kconfig': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts/dtc': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts/mod': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2/scripts': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.14.72-odroidc2': Directory not empty
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-odroidc2_5.16_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-odroidc2 (5.16) over (5.14) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-jessie-root-odroidc2_5.16_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-jessie-root-odroidc2 (5.16) over (5.14) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-libc-dev_3.16.7-ckt25-2+deb8u3_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-libc-dev:arm64 (3.16.7-ckt25-2+deb8u3) over (3.16.7-ckt25-2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-u-boot-odroidc2-default_5.16_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-u-boot-odroidc2-default (5.16) over (5.14) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.120+deb8u2) ...
ln: failed to create hard link ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.14.72-odroidc2.dpkg-bak’ => ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.14.72-odroidc2’: Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.14.72-odroidc2
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.14.72-odroidc2
Ensure all necessary drivers are built into the linux image!
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.14.72-odroidc2: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_z0d3vz/lib/modules/3.14.72-odroidc2/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_z0d3vz/lib/modules/3.14.72-odroidc2/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u4) ...
Setting up linux-dtb-odroidc2 (5.16) ...
Setting up linux-headers-odroidc2 (5.16) ...
Compiling headers - please wait ...
Setting up linux-image-odroidc2 (5.16) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.14.73-odroidc2

This should not cause any issues, update-initramfs is called for kernel version that was deleted during upgrade

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.14.72-odroidc2

but after that it is called for new kernel version

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.14.73-odroidc2

and it should succeed

After this upgrade, these systems don't reboot correctly. The blue heartbeat LED is constantly on and the ssh login is not available anymore (/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/ssh/sshd_config appear to be okay). This behavior happens consistently on both Odroid C2 after the upgrade and it happens even with a fresh installation and subsequent upgrade. These systems are used headless and it is quiet complicated to see the boot sequence, but i guess i can check that from the logs in some kind of post-portem analysis by inserting the eMMC into another Linux computer. Sometimes, it takes a little longer until i remember all the tools available to recover from some error  :( .

It is really strange. I've done this now multiple times, always with the same result. The upgrade yields the warnings and errors above. Rebooting after the upgrade - and that is really curious - works once. I can log in and do whatever i want, but when i reboot a second time (counting from the last upgrade), the system hangs with the blue alive LED being continuously on (which looks like no kernel is booting at all - at least there is no output on the screen). /var/log/messages also says that no system has been started. dd'ing the image Armbian_5.14_Odroidc2_Debian_jessie_3.14.72 again and everything is fine, so it doesn't look like a hardware error?

Sorry, I missed the eMMC part of your initial message. I just tested upgrade procedure with SD card and it works fine (same messages during upgrade, but it works after 2 reboots without any issues). I will test this with eMMC later - it's possible that upgrade doesn't work reliably with eMMC.

Well, I went into these problems too... It seems that dtb file has any inconsistency... I'm running with EMMC too, after the upgrade, the blue led turns on, after few seconds went down and then turned on againd, and there goes this cycle, on and on... No video, no LAN, nothing. Copying dtb from 5.14 solved the problem and the board boot up again, no problem.

Hi glaucioklipel,

I kind of stuck at the same point now.

Could you possibly discribe your workaround more detailed?

At the moment I'm running armbian from emmc and getting the exact same behaviour whilste upgrading the system.

PS: Worked well running from SD-Card

Thank you in advance!

Hi glaucioklipel,

I kind of stuck at the same point now.

Could you possibly discribe your workaround more detailed?

At the moment I'm running armbian from emmc and getting the exact same behaviour whilste upgrading the system.

PS: Worked well running from SD-Card

Thank you in advance!

Hi asterisk-user,

I removed emmc unit from odroid, plugged with emmc to sd adaptor on my laptop, browsed "dtb-3.14.67-odroidc2.old" folder on boot partition, copied onto "dtb" folder on same partition, overwriting the old one. Don't forget to dismount the emmc before removing it from your computer for well known reasons...

It should work by then

Hope it can help!

Hi,

I have the same issue. If I do an apt-get update using the EMMC, it won't boot any more with a solid blue led. With SD card it boots normally after the update. Tried what glaucioklipel suggested with no luck. Even tried copying the entire boot partition from the SD card but got a boot loop. I´m using the Ubuntu xenial 5.14 image. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Regards

Raising hand....me too!  :(

I'm also using an eMMC Module (64 GB) on the Odroid C2.

It would be great if this issue could be fixed with a new image. I just made an entire backup of the boot folder after a fresh installation and try to replace the dtb directory content once I flash back the previous backup of the broken image (this wasn't successful in the first attempt but I give it another shot).

EDIT: Moved to a 32GB microSD for the moment until it is fixed. If I clone the microSD to the eMMC card it boots up fine but on the reboot it's broken again. So there is something happening (script at startup or on a regular shutdown) that messes things up.

Fixed and tested at this moment. Working fine.

Running from eMMC.

For me it only survived the first reboot. After the reboot  it kind of "froze" (responded to pings but no ssh or any other service I have running) while it was running and when I cold restarted it, the problem persisted. Solid blue LED

For me it only survived the first reboot. After the reboot  it kind of "froze" (responded to pings but no ssh or any other service I have running) while it was running and when I cold restarted it, the problem persisted. Solid blue LED

Here same :(

is it posible to make a new img with:

Armbian_5.17_Odroidc2_Debian_jessie_3.14.74

Rebuilding images is time consuming job + lot's of manual work. So we don't do that just like that. Usually in 1-2 months.

If you can't wait, you can DIY.

Rebuilding images is time consuming job + lot's of manual work. So we don't do that just like that. Usually in 1-2 months.

If you can't wait, you can DIY.

I don't mind compiling myself. My only problem is that I already have a fully configured/working system, and don´t want to start from scratch, so the best option would be the ability to use apt-get. I tried compiling on a PC, but the resulting image was not bootable. Should I try and do it on the Odroid itself?

I tried compiling on a PC, but the resulting image was not bootable. Should I try and do it on the Odroid itself?

I fully understand that the process is not trivial and that problems can jump out. We are constantly trying to nail them down. If you are running the system, than you usually only need to recompile kernel and u-boot, perhaps board support package to get updates on our scripts, the rest is not that important to your case. This is also much less problematic to build.

Regarding compilation on board - it's possible but we don't support it. Avoid.

We are providing updates fastest we can, while urgent fixes, we usually put out within one day or fastest as possible. This is the best what we can do with current crew, "business" model and resources within.

This upgrading problem is already fixed, while kernel update to .74 is not critical at all and can wait to regular update.

Hey there,

I just downloaded the latest version of debian-server image and installed it on a eMMC of my Odroid C1 and I have the same issue:

- booting fine after fresh install

- apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (odroid still up and running afterwards)

- reboot => blue heartbeat-led is continuously on (no ethernet, no screenprompt, nothing)

I will try the dtb-file trick in the afternoon. If its not working, I will as well disable the armbian-update site. But I would love to stay up to date with this awesome distro for SBCs :)

Thank you guys so far for your help

(this post was just meant, to inform you that the same problem exists on Odroid C1)

Hey there,

I just downloaded the latest version of debian-server image and installed it on a eMMC of my Odroid C1 and I have the same issue:

- booting fine after fresh install

- apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (odroid still up and running afterwards)

- reboot => blue heartbeat-led is continuously on (no ethernet, no screenprompt, nothing)

I will try the dtb-file trick in the afternoon. If its not working, I will as well disable the armbian-update site. But I would love to stay up to date with this awesome distro for SBCs :)

Thank you guys so far for your help

(this post was just meant, to inform you that the same problem exists on Odroid C1)

Thanks for reporting. This problem will be fixed within next update.