odroid-N2 wol missing

lordsinclair

Armbianmonitor:

Hello,

While for Odroid-N2 ubuntu standard image  wakeonlan worked I miss for armbian 20.08.22 Focal simple advice for bootenv or kernel parameters to enable it e.g. enabled_wol as with ubuntu standard image for N2. ethtool eth0 tells just it is disabled (d) and network settings doesnot work either. 

regards, Dieter

17 minutes ago, Drstraits said:

Hi your question maybe solution ( maybe not?) However there is no choice to revive a suspended SBC. If no WoL possible I have to leave armbian quickly. Sorry, Dieter

The solution is that it works with Kernel 4.9, it doesn't with 5.9. If you want that feature, then you can download the "legacy" version with the proper kernel: https://redirect.armbian.com/odroidn2/Buster_legacy.torrent

5 hours ago, KingBonecrusher said:

Is there any info why WOL is not working? Technical problems?

On 11/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, lordsinclair said:

to me it is unclear why all 5.x kernels should have lost WoL by accident.

It is not "by accident" and in fact quite normal.  Kernel development continues moving forward all the time.  It actually takes quite a lot of work to "just keep everything working."  Armbian does quite a lot of this work silently in the background every day and the vast majority of the time, everything "just works."  However some times, some feature, on some particular board doesn't work for whatever reason.  And each of these little things take time to investigate and solve.

In some cases, the manufacturer is only supporting some crappy old kernel they released once upon a time and never bothered doing any of the work required to keep things working on newer kernels.  I don't know what the particulars of this problem are, just speaking in general here.

I realize it's frustrating not to have particular feature working that you may need.  But the problem is not with Armbian, who are actually doing quite a good job considering the little resources we have to work with.  Believe it or not, but things could actually be worse...

Patches welcome.

why WOL is not working?

In most cases such (fancy) functions doesn't work on (cheap) low power ARM hardware. Some boards come even without any hardware for power on / off functionality. Even NIC is possible to control, you have no means to control power states.

Technical problems?

Technical answer I could provide you if I would research this hardware more into detail, but we have 1000 x other things to deal with. Research would be 100% our private cost. Development as well. Waste xxxx to cure curiosity and another yyyy to make someone happy? Well, we do that every day. Just the problem is that you don't notice. 

This hardware is already  at maximum possible, which is extremely hard to achieve with this limited resources, and is technically ahead of others ... Problem is virtually non existing support from our "customers".

Armbian claims to have better or optimal kernel more than the original Odroid N2 from hardkernel company. At Hardkernel this is ubuntu 20.04, kernel 5.4. Of course it has wake-on LAN. I'm not sure if hardkernel spent much time to keep it from their former kernel e.g 4.9 ( I guess not). The developer here tell me that wol got lost by keeping the 5.x kernel optimal in sense of armbian philosophy. What do I learn as a common user ? Optimizing the kernel from armbian has a price like a hidden expense, The developer tell me armbian software has no price e.g is without cost to me . Now I learn , oh, it has a very special price

My point is that you still seem to be missing the greater point.  Which is that you come here complaining about a community project which is run by a handful of (largely, unpaid!) volunteers based solely on our good will, while contributing absolutely nothing yourself.  The sense of entitlement is staggering.

Such attitudes do not encourage sustainable development.  What happens when Igor and/or other developers have had enough?  Then they quit and "this is why we cannot have nice things!"  I have seen it too many times over the years in F/LOSS development.

Therefore what is more important to sustaining the project in the long run?  Keeping developers happy and without pressure on them?  Or (trying to do an impossible task by) keeping demanding users happy who are not satisfied (and some times never will be, and who contribute absolutely nothing in the meantime)?  Luckily the latter are very few and far between and overall we still have a great and supportive community here.  But we like to keep it that way, hence being very straightforward about the way things are.

Again, this is not our problem.  It is your problem.  I repeat, patches welcome.

Edited by TRS-80

1 hour ago, lordsinclair said:

The developer here tell me that wol got lost

They apparently didn't reach Linux kernel. Only in that case we could say they were lost. Perhaps its just no enabled? Vendor supported kernels are usually frozen Linux forks - our is mainline based with functionality ported from those frozen forks. Vendors doesn't do that since its more complicated due to constant changes in mainline kernel. They can't risk to not have some board function, while we certainly can afford that. 

You have to choose what is better. Initial private kernel fork 4.9.y, 2nd private kernel fork combined with historic boot loader. All this code contains several dirty hack that will never be accepted to the mainline. They need to be reworked. Perhaps WOL is this case. I don't know ... or latest stable (and trunk) public mainline kernel with added functionality (from those dirty kernels). Since porting functions is costly it takes time and we ofc leave out most expensive and useless ports for last and if to implement. If we like to implement - you give nothing so why would we care to have this or another. We can easily make together the exact image (and we do sometimes) just to have it ready in case someone complains ... here is Armbian with vendors kernel. It has the same functionality ... and problems. But we don't fix those problems. They do.

You are welcome to add anything you are missing as you are welcome to use superb vendors proprietary experience. And to note that Hardkernel is actually one if not the best vendor.

1 hour ago, KingBonecrusher said:

I`m fine with my other solution

We also provide Armbian with consumer grade Linux ("other solution", usually labelled as "legacy") which is still better than stock. There features should be identical. Especially on N2 since there we still use their boot loader.

1 hour ago, KingBonecrusher said:

Armbian is free

It costs us around 3.000 EUR per day. Not exactly free. 

GPLv3_Logo.svg

Hi, thanks for Armbian.

I'd like to suggest automating tests so features such as wol can be marked as functional or not.

Standard Blackbox tests in a range of areas could be performed on all armbian images, all SBCs, a matrix could be the result, published for each image.

Additional tests could be created as needed.

Otherwise it will be hard to people to trust an image because installing it and finding out something doesnt work... a waste of time and effort... just my fifty cents (due to inflation)

Cheers

I know you're coming from a good place, but your comment borders on insulting.

Please search forum for our testing threads and let us know how you'd like to help.   We need help coordinating volunteers and testing as well

Really it's automating the imaging and rebooting we need to complete first.

Perhaps a WOL could be added https://github.com/armbian/autotests

I tried Odroid N2+ with Armbian 22.05.3 Buster (5.17.5-meson64). It does not work, but it can be enabled.

For enabling it in kernel you need to do:
1. Add 

enable_wol=1

in /boot/boot.cmd

2. Recompile it with

mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

3. For enabling it in Network Manager you need to do:

nmcli c modify "Wired connection 1" 802-3-ethernet.wake-on-lan magic

After this 3 steps ethtool will show you that wake on lan is enabled (but it is broken somewhere in kernel). I hope that this small instruction helps save 1-2 hours for somebody who find this thread with google like me 😄

Edited by Alexei Shcherbakov