Issues building (working) U-boot for speeds above 480MHz (OPi Zero)

Adrian Cable

Hardware: Orange Pi Zero 512MB LTS (several different devices), bench power supply, good SD card - everything working good at all clock speeds from 480MHz upwards (all the way up to 1.4GHz even, with a heatsink). ffmpeg encode, stress-ng etc. are all fine. Specifically, the board is rock solid at 960MHz.

What I want to achieve: take the U-boot for OPi Zero, and rebuild with an adjusted config to achieve a faster boot time, by replacing CONFIG_SYS_CLK_FREQ=480000000 with CONFIG_SYS_CLK_FREQ=960000000. (Does anyone know why the standard Armbian build is set to boot at such a low clock speed?)

Starting point: I can successfully build U-boot from the Armbian sources (using Armbian's orangepi_zero_defconfig), write to SSD using nand-sata-install, and boot. It works fine. So there is nothing wrong with my build process, or my ability to reproduce the base configuration.

What goes wrong: when I adjust CONFIG_SYS_CLK_FREQ=960000000, the board fails to boot. It freezes a few seconds into booting the kernel, with the UART output normally just stopping around here:

[  OK  ] Started Armbian memory supported logging.
         Starting Journal Service...
[  OK  ] Started Raise network interfaces.

Occasionally I will get some kind of error:

[    6.871890] BUG: Bad page state in process sed  pfn:546e2

So it appears that, in addition to adjusting the CPU frequency, I need to adjust something else to make it all work. Does anyone know what needs to be done?

Thanks!