Olinuxino Lime-A64 Analog Audio Output Not Functional

Digitalman1983

On the 20.08.2 Buster release (Kernel 5.8.6) the headphone jack is not currently working.

HDMI audio seems to be supported.

aplay -L returns only the HDMI audio interface. (sun50i-a64-hdmi) but is not showing the headphone interface (should additionally show sun50i-a64-audio as in other working builds)

This is also the case with the current development build (Armbian_20.11.0-trunk.32_Lime-a64_buster_current_5.9.7)

A look at the device tree shows “<stdout>: Warning (unit_address_vs_reg): Node /sound/simple-audio-card,dai-link@0 has a unit name, but no reg property” on the first line of the DTS of sun50i-a64-olinuxino, sun50i-a64-olinuxino-emmc, and sun50i-a64-olinuxino-2Ge8G device tree blobs. Not sure if this is a contributing factor.

The snippet it seems to be complaining about:
simple-audio-card,dai-link@0 {
format = "i2s";
frame-master = <0x11>;
bitclock-master = <0x11>;
mclk-fs = <0x80>;

I did some digging and found this patch from a few years ago: https://www.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2018-October/141047.html
The only major difference I see between the configuration added by the patch and my current device tree is that hex addresses are specified in place of pointer variables. (i.e. <0x12> vs <&dai>

Going on the advice of several forum posts, I tried adding "overlays=analog-codec" to /boot/armbianEnv.txt to no avail.

I suspect that analog audio needs to be enabled in kernel configuration.