An Alternative for KODI (just for TV)

ccs1664

Hi everyone

I installed Armbian Focal Legacy Minimal (UBUNTU version 20.04) on my MXQPro-RK3228A, once that this board has only 1 Giga RAM and 8 of ROM.
I did this migration once that KODI in Android on this TV-BOX, really does not work appropriately.  So, the linux with the XFCE was a natural path

for me.
Well, after installation I try the Linux  with KODI... it  works, but VERY SLOWLY ... impossible to use something like that.

I just watch European TV channels, more specific the FRENCH TV.  I have a VPN and to watch by browser should be a solution except that Firefox
is quite SLOW also.

So I would some application for Linux to watch TV. I experimented a freetux   but is very limited on channels available.

Someone could be give me some idea  about an application or alternative for the poor TV-BOX?

LibreELEC does not work with my TVBOX ... I do not know why. I tried many images, but unsuccessful

Thanks in advance

Claudio

13 hours ago, ccs1664 said:

Hi everyone

I installed Armbian Focal Legacy Minimal (UBUNTU version 20.04) on my MXQPro-RK3228A, once that this board has only 1 Giga RAM and 8 of ROM.
I did this migration once that KODI in Android on this TV-BOX, really does not work appropriately.  So, the linux with the XFCE was a natural path

for me.
Well, after installation I try the Linux  with KODI... it  works, but VERY SLOWLY ... impossible to use something like that.

I just watch European TV channels, more specific the FRENCH TV.  I have a VPN and to watch by browser should be a solution except that Firefox
is quite SLOW also.

So I would some application for Linux to watch TV. I experimented a freetux   but is very limited on channels available.

Someone could be give me some idea  about an application or alternative for the poor TV-BOX?

LibreELEC does not work with my TVBOX ... I do not know why. I tried many images, but unsuccessful

Thanks in advance

Claudio

Hello, look there: the first post contains the instructions to get hardware accelerated Kodi and 3D graphics for those boards.

Just in case you need assistance, post in that thread ;)

Jock

I reinstall the system now with Debian (minimal - Buster) and ICEWM graphical interface. The icewm is lighter than XFCE and other.
the 3D habitation was confirmed by
$ glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
direct rendering: Yes

but unfortunately the KODI keeps very LOW ... definitely I gave up of KODI   under ARMBIAN. My "beast" with 1G ram, 1.2 Ghz,  is very weak for this proposal.

Someone from this forum experimented the LibreELEC with some success ... in my tests with LibreELEC none image booted ...
is there any trick to burn an image of LibreELEC? Sorry, I know, this forum is of Armbian (great distro).

Anyone has a LibreELEC image for MXQPro-RK3228A ? Any trick to burn in a SD?  How to boot it?

Excuse me for this "out-topic"

claudio

PS: anyway my Armbian (Debian minimal) with ICEWM is very fast !!!!