Very old headers in latest images

Chevremw

Hi,

I'm trying to use hardware acceleration on my OrangePi PC+ (H3) board, and when I try to compile v4l2-request, it complains for undefined constants. These constants are supposed to be declared in /usr/include/linux/videodev2.h, but looks like a very old version of this file is distributed in the latests Armbian images for my board.

Some missing headers: V4L2_PIX_FMT_MPEG2_SLICE, V4L2_PIX_FMT_SUNXI_TILED_NV12

Looks like these #define have been introduced more than two years ago in the mainline kernel : https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blame/d5beb3140f91b1c8a3d41b14d729aefa4dcc58bc/include/uapi/linux/videodev2.h#L698

Even more weird: a later version (with the defines I need) of this file was available earlier in Armbian 20.05 (kernel 5.4.43) I found in the archived versions.

Hope that to be fixed, and maybe one day have Armbian with hardware acceleration working out of the box ;)

I can't help but think that those patches must have been left out (or decided against) for some reason.  Although it's possible they just got missed or something, too.

Only someone more knowledgeable than me about the specifics and history of this board/family could tell you that definitively, though.

In the meantime, you could try Building Armbian, and include some different version of patches, files or whatever.  If you have some spare sdcard, it would not even be that disruptive to your current running system.

And then you could report back your results?  If it's stable, you get good result, etc. maybe your changes even get incorporated back into the official Armbian builds.

Truth is, the entire project has been built up upon hundreds, thousands of such small, individual experiments and testings...  ;)