I know this topic was requested many many times. but I would like to introduce more reasons about why to do so.

Igor,  I don't like RPI, and many of you also don't like it. but I am thinking on Armbian rather than RPI

1) supporting RPI would be a plus for people that use sd with RPI4. armbian works flawlessly on sr cards.

2) armbian need recognition and founding and supporting a mainstream SBC like RPI could bring that!

3) armbian is the best OS for ARM Linux.

4) something similar to the reason 2 :)

4 hours ago, Salvador Liébana said:

and many of you also don't like it.

If you find somebody with the know-how to implement and support it. Why not.
For the moment I don't see any room for this with the limited resources. The Raspberry Pi is a totally different beast compared to other SBCs. 

Also just half supporting it with an image that does boot but where many functions don't work is not a good thing. There is a lot that could be adopted from UbuntuARM64/Raspberry Pi OS. But implementing it all would be a monster task.
My guess is it would be easier to write a new build-script for the RPi itself than to adopt the build script we've got now. Since so many things are done differently.
I vaguely remember Igor saying he once tried and failed.

For me the ThreadX is the biggest problem. How can you give reliable software if you don't know what's happening under the hood.

threadX is a black box, and? I don't see a limitation on that. 

it would require just to use the official kernels by RPI foundation. that's all. I don't think it's sooo unachievable. @Igor is talented enough to achieve that.. 

I just want for Armbian a bit more founding. and people would prefer the reliability of ubuntu/debian with armbian tweaks. RPI4 struggle a lot on aarch64 and probably some of the armbian tweaks will make it a bit more reliable.

I don't like RPI, but threadX is not the main issue. it's not an easy work, but not that hard neither, and the benefits could be a real bonus for armbian to support that Broadcom subsidiary called RPI foundation.

anyway, it's just a suggestion.

Writing the support is one side, maintaining the other. I am pretty confident Igor does not want to invest waste on this task. If volunteers jump in to maintain...maybe add it as CSC? Depends on how it grows if at all.

However there is also the users that will need to be taken care of. Most likely even more demanding than the usual Armbian user....

Also I don't know what Armbian can do (much) better than for example Ubuntu which already provide server like images as Armbian for SBCs does.

Just my personal opinion. I am no developer. These are just my guts feel :love:

1 hour ago, Salvador Liébana said:

threadX is a black box, and? I don't see a limitation on that. 

I agree with @NicoD , well described. I would say it is a brick wall. It isnt possible to make something to something you don't know "works" or "not"

@Werner Is also right, it will take a hughe time to take "care" of the more unexpirenced, and guide them...

But if you could get it up and running, why not @Salvador Liébana Thanks.

Edited by soerenderfor
spelling

On 11/24/2020 at 7:48 AM, Salvador Liébana said:

1) supporting RPI would be a plus for people that use sd with RPI4. armbian works flawlessly on sr cards.

2) armbian need recognition and founding and supporting a mainstream SBC like RPI could bring that!

3) armbian is the best OS for ARM Linux.

4) something similar to the reason 2 :)

1) RPi has fairly good community support for their native Raspian PiOS thingy - now that Canonical is onboard with Pi, not much value add

2) Armbian is just fine without Pi Foundation endorsements, and a distinct lack of interest from them to support Armbian

3) Not so sure, but what I can say is that Armbian is a great community, but not the only one out there

4) Is Pi Foundation willing to fund/support Armbian to port over to Raspberry Pi? 

I know some folks are concerned about VC3/VC4 and ThreadX, and with Pi4, the eeprom - and this is fair and undocumented...

sfx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.