OrangePi Zero2 - Allwinner H616

Werner

53 minutes ago, XFer012 said:

At a certain point, I'll have to surrender

You've been brave, but surrender, never :)
A bit a pity there's not more interest in this board. And I've not seen any other H616 SBCs coming. 
Their Orange(Armbian) images do seem ok. I wonder if we could not learn anything from their script/builds.
https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/OrangePi_Build
They've copied Armbian, maybe Armbian should copy them now :) 
I don't know. Maybe this one should be a pass. Is the effort supporting it worth it? Tho the board is good for some use cases. 

The board is very good. IMHO, one of the best out there! And I have so many SBCs... maybe 10 or more.

Let me summarize:

Small and cheap

Draws little power, thanks to the 28nm SOC

Does not run hot, at all, not even with the (quite bad) Orange kernel (which loads one core at 100% all the time), not even at 1.5 GHz

Has onboard audio

MicroSD is quite fast, among the fastest actually

I see it as the best SBC for battery-powered projects, or whenever heat dissipation is an issue

@XFer012Do you need HDMI? Otherwise the RockPiS is way more power efficient. Runs at 0.1A idle. Most of my power banks shut down because the load is too low. Tho it's a bit less powerful.
It indeed is a nice board and great price. But also a lot of work to support it. 
I keep my thumbs up for it.

32 minutes ago, Werner said:

There has been an attempt to do that: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2620

Haha
"this stuff is really ugly"
I didn't expect different. 

13 minutes ago, NicoD said:

@XFer012Do you need HDMI? Otherwise the RockPiS is way more power efficient. Runs at 0.1A idle

I have the RockPiS, too; quite nice, but very difficult to find here (Italy) and it's quite slower. Power efficiency is not much higher, by the way.

In absolute terms, using "7zr b" as benchmark, RockPi-S gives 2327, OrangePiZero2 3739 (1.6x)

Using "7zr b" MIPS / MHz as an IPC figure, the RockPi-S gives 1.78, while the OPIzero2 gives 2.54.

Using "7zr b" MIPS / W as an efficiency figure, RockPi-S gives 1450, OPIZero2 1246

Also, microSD speed is almost 2x on the OPI02.

A very nice board (at 20 Eur!), if only we could iron out USB support. :(

2 hours ago, XFer012 said:

In absolute terms, using "7zr b" as benchmark, RockPi-S gives 2327, OrangePiZero2 3739 (1.6x)

This is what I've got from benchmarks. 

OPiZero2
--------

S/C = Single Small core        B/C = Single Big core     A/C = All cores    

OPiZero2           | Clock S/C    | B/C         | Blender   | 7z S/C    | 7Z B/C  | 7z A/C | CPUMiner  | SBCBench  
OPi Focal 4.9.170   1.5Ghz                        35m34s      1320                  4800     4.65        http://ix.io/2SAn
OPi Focal 4.9.170   1.5Ghz                        35m40s

Odroid HC4         | Clock S/C    | B/C         | Blender   | 7z S/C    | 7Z B/C  | 7z A/C | CPUMiner  | SBCBench  
Ubuntu Mate 4.9      2.02Ghz                      22m29s      1881                  7400     7.5 kH/s    http://ix.io/2Lbl     No HDD 

Raspberry Pi 4     | Clock S/C    | B/C         | Blender   | 7z S/C    | 7Z B/C  | 7z A/C | CPUMiner  | SBCBench  
Manjaro                             1.5 Ghz       15m59s                  1575      6093           	    
                                    2 Ghz         13m18s                  2082      8009            

Station P1         | Clock S/C    | B/C         | Blender   | 7z S/C    | 7Z B/C  | 7z A/C | CPUMiner  | SBCBench  
Armbian bionic       1.5Ghz         2Ghz          14m31s      1341        2054               10          http://ix.io/2Ikl               
M4V2 Bionic 4.9      1.4Ghz         1.8Ghz        15m38s      1241        1813      7681

M4V2               | Clock S/C    | B/C         | Blender   | 7z S/C    | 7Z B/C  | 7z A/C | CPUMiner  | SBCBench  
TwisterOS V2         1.5Ghz         2Ghz          13m39       1345        2046      8283     11          http://ix.io/2TYt

RockPiS            | Clock S/C    | B/C         | Blender   | 7z S/C    | 7Z B/C  | 7z A/C | CPUMiner  | SBCBench  
Armbian Focal 4.4    1.29Ghz                      46m57s      868                   3500     2.7         http://ix.io/2TcN

OdroidGoSuper      | Clock S/C    | B/C         | Blender   | 7z S/C    | 7Z B/C  | 7z A/C | CPUMiner  | SBCBench  
DebianBuster 4.4     1.3Ghz                       51m49s      896                   3568     2.7         http://ix.io/2UEX

Blender 2.82 NicoD benchmark in console

Temperature
-----------
No fan   no heatsink idle          58c
No fan   no heatsink maxed         +89C No throttling ( stopped, can go higher )
3.3V Fan no heatsink idle          43C
3.3V Fan no heatsink maxed         67C
No fan   Heatsink idle             57C
No fan   Heatsink maxed            +91C No throttling ( stopped )  
3.3V Fan Heatsink idle             39C
3.3V Fan Heatsink maxed            59C

Power Consumption
-----------------
Idle      no fan      0.4 A
Maxed out no fan      0.7 A

Do know that the Radxa images throttle the RockPiS to 1Ghz at 50C what makes it a lot less powerful. I've no clue why. RockPiS only goes up to 71C
My OPiZero2 goes over 90C with the OPi images. Even when using a heatsink.

Not the same results.. maybe different revisions?

immagine.png.ad428063846af12520389cf0b500f60d.png

immagine.png.6888229ac2fc67501a603f2ce3db63ec.png

immagine.png.a0281482dbd617053d8765717b717cb3.png

and my OrangePiZero2 never got past 61 degrees, and that's without an heatsink.

I added a tiny heatsink, and it stayed below 52 degrees even after repeating 7zr benchmarks

Partial success. :)

I was able to boot @hexdump 's precompiled kernel (using Armbian "unstable" image).

This kernel indeed has USB working!
I am not able to rebuild this kernel by myself, but at least we have a mainline-ish kernel with working USB!

More details later, have to go now.

This sounds like good news!!

Maybe poor little H616 is going to get some love by mainline kernel? Fingers crossed!!

Arm updates in Linux 5.12

Removal of several obsolete 32-bit Arm platforms – efm32, picoxcell, prima2, tango, u300, zx, and c6x, as well as associated device drivers.

Allwinner

Allwinner H616 and H616-R – Initial support including pin controllers, clocks

Allwinner/sunxi power management

Various DTS changes

Confirmed.

At some point, rebuilding the latest mainline kernel from the Unstable branch, I managed to have the board rebooting properly; but it was in the middle of many tests and never managed to succeed again. <_<

I selected this board to start an adventure with Home Assistant. The board arrived two hours ago and is already running Home Assistant, using Ubuntu-Server (download from OrangePI site), with Docker (machine = OdroidN2 (als H616)).

For the record I'm a Linux no-no. Havent checked much so far. Reboot works. LAN and Wifi working. Will try to look into multi-cpu usage and USB.

So why not trying to copy some of this Ubuntu stuff into PiZero2 Armbian?

8 hours ago, HansD said:

There was an attempt to implement the outdated vendor kernel but was not continued due to lacking of hardware: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2620

7 hours ago, Gabor5745737 said:

but how is the armbian implementation different from the changes the manufacturer made to the kernel?

Armbian is mostly built on top of mainline kernel rather than using outdated sources.

I tried to enable onwire both with stable, edge and factory images, but none worked using overlays. So it seems we are not there yet.

[    5.576315] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: pin PC9 already requested by onewire@0; cannot claim for 300b000.pinctrl:73
[    5.587658] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: pin-73 (300b000.pinctrl:73) status -22
[    5.595732] w1-gpio onewire@0: gpio_request (pin) failed

For anyone who needs to work with onewire on this board until proper support enabled you could use w1-gpio-cl.

Just download the headers and build it. Using onewire is then just as easy as:

modprobe w1-gpio-cl m1="gdt:73"

If @hexdump could provide headers for his kernel, then we could have the edge image with his kernel and support for usb, reboot and onewire until proper support is enabled.

PS: Seems that ATF has moved to v4

On 4/29/2021 at 10:00 PM, HansD said:

I selected this board to start an adventure with Home Assistant. The board arrived two hours ago and is already running Home Assistant, using Ubuntu-Server (download from OrangePI site), with Docker (machine = OdroidN2 (als H616)).

For the record I'm a Linux no-no. Havent checked much so far. Reboot works. LAN and Wifi working. Will try to look into multi-cpu usage and USB.

hmm, is using an older kernel (4.x.x.x...)

On 4/28/2021 at 9:22 PM, Gabor5745737 said:

"reboot" is not turning on the board, just off, requires manual power cycling.

Anyone else noticed it?

Change SD card, I had similar issue. opi have stated in manual that good quality (Sandisk) card is required, this was their replay on git under this issue. Good quality is a broad term, but that Kingston I had what buggy on this board, worked fine on other SBCs.  Other the same model and capacity card works fine thou.

I think he was referring to Armbian, which does not reboot even with genuine Sandisk cards.

I seem to remember that at a certain point, amid various kernel reconfig/rebuilds, I had it rebooting properly by disabling "Enable suspend to disk" and disabling "Enable hibernate" in kernel Power Management section. But I'm not 100% sure.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:54 PM, lampra said:

If @hexdump could provide headers for his kernel, then we could have the edge image with his kernel and support for usb, reboot and onewire until proper support is enabled.

I think hexdump added some DTS patches to:

https://github.com/jernejsk/linux-1/tree/h616-hdmi

Me, I was unable to "integrate" that kernel into mainline. But I'm a newbie.

Another afternoon and all kernels for 5.12.y are done at build stage.

- cleaning

- do we need to archive 5.11.y. I would say no since its not LTS

- testing