OrangePi Zero2 - Allwinner H616

Werner

Yes, I just changed these two lines. 

I found I made a mistake, use "head" rather than "branch:master" 

So I  change to exactly as you writo, others keep the Armbian master.

After build and burn to SD card,  still stuck at "Starting Kernel ... " 

6 minutes ago, mantouboji said:

Yes, I just changed these two lines. 

I found I made a mistake, use "head" rather than "branch:master" 

So I  change to exactly as you writo, others keep the Armbian master.

After build and burn to SD card,  still stuck at "Starting Kernel ... " 

Did you check for the patches? DO you build the kernel with them or not? If not, just copy the patches to the userpatches folder

25 minutes ago, lampra said:

Did you check for the patches? DO you build the kernel with them or not? If not, just copy the patches to the userpatches folder

I only change that 2 lines, left other stuff nochange. those patches are in the archive folder. May I copy them to userpatches folder? 

With the mentioned fixes applied, happy to report everything works, except hdmi, wifi, and the other 2 USBs (tested not working with added settings in armbianenv). It is quite usable now as a little x display and screen updates seem to keep up as tested using smtube mpv videos.

P8280239.JPG

Hey guys,

I noticed that the tag for this board was changed from "Suitable for testing" to "Supported".

As I understand from the warning before downloading the image from the downloads section, the stable release is temporarily only for kernel version 4.9.
As there was no focal distro ready to download, so I wanted to build it myself.

I cloned the repo (https://github.com/armbian/build) and used the "master" branch
The build runs successfully with this command:

./compile.sh docker USE_TORRENT=no BOARD=orangepizero2 BRANCH=legacy RELEASE=focal BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,gpg,img

Once built, I flashed the image to my SD Card.
When I tried to boot it, it won't work. No red/green light lit.

I downloaded the buster 4.9 image in the downloads section, that one is working fine and boots successfully with green light.

Is there a patch or something i need to edit in the armbian build tool? How can I make it work if possible?

Thank you in advance.

For anyone failing to build modules using the legacy bullseye image, I succeeded by creating a "source" link in the modules folder

root@orangepizero2:/lib/modules/4.9.280-sun50iw9# ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-4.9.280-sun50iw9/ source
root@orangepizero2:/lib/modules/4.9.280-sun50iw9# ll
total 700
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     39 Aug 25 23:03 build -> /usr/src/linux-headers-4.9.280-sun50iw9
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root   4096 Sep  9 05:18 kernel
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 239753 Sep  9 05:19 modules.alias
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 245218 Sep  9 05:19 modules.alias.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  27739 Aug 25 23:03 modules.builtin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     12 Sep  9 05:19 modules.builtin.alias.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  30895 Sep  9 05:19 modules.builtin.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  24568 Sep  9 05:19 modules.dep
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  39138 Sep  9 05:19 modules.dep.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    110 Sep  9 05:19 modules.devname
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12338 Aug 25 23:03 modules.order
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     55 Sep  9 05:19 modules.softdep
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  28361 Sep  9 05:19 modules.symbols
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  34978 Sep  9 05:19 modules.symbols.bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     39 Sep  9 05:18 source -> /usr/src/linux-source-4.9.280-sun50iw9/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   4096 Sep  9 05:19 updates

By the way, does anyone understand why I keep on getting `maintainer script 'preinst' has bad permissions 444 (must be >=0555 and <=0775)` when compiling the kernel from scratch? I have tried to run the compilation script with sudo, checked the folder permission, but I have currently no idea how to change the 444 permision of the 'preinst' script. I only checked on compilation on orange pi zero2 allwinner h616, this is my script : ./compile.sh USE_TORRENT=no BOARD=orangepizero2 BRANCH=legacy RELEASE=bullseye BUILD_MINIMAL=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no INSTALL_HEADERS=yes LIB_TAG=nightly 

I will be grateful is anyone has any idea on the topic

Edited by radoxpi
Gave a proper conversation beginning

Congratulations everyone.

just want to understand a little bit about this build if some one can help me out

there are certain fex files in this build. i know that sunxi firmware is using these files as bin files.

I want to know there origin i.e. they coe from stock firmware or written by some body.

I know tvboxes are not supported by core team. but if some one interested I want to work on t95 allwinner h616 2gb ram 16gb rom.

please keep in mind that i am new to armbian or kernel build but i know little bit about linux.

much appreciate if you join me in my quest.

thanks

3 hours ago, kcahtoor said:

Congratulations everyone.

just want to understand a little bit about this build if some one can help me out

there are certain fex files in this build. i know that sunxi firmware is using these files as bin files.

I want to know there origin i.e. they coe from stock firmware or written by some body.

I know tvboxes are not supported by core team. but if some one interested I want to work on t95 allwinner h616 2gb ram 16gb rom.

please keep in mind that i am new to armbian or kernel build but i know little bit about linux.

much appreciate if you join me in my quest.

thanks

Hi,

please go to TV boxes section with your request/information and not hijack this topic which is dedicated for the Orange Pi Zero 2 SBC.

5 hours ago, radoxpi said:

By the way, does anyone understand why I keep on getting `maintainer script 'preinst' has bad permissions 444 (must be >=0555 and <=0775)` when compiling the kernel from scratch? I have tried to run the compilation script with sudo, checked the folder permission, but I have currently no idea how to change the 444 permision of the 'preinst' script. I only checked on compilation on orange pi zero2 allwinner h616, this is my script : ./compile.sh USE_TORRENT=no BOARD=orangepizero2 BRANCH=legacy RELEASE=bullseye BUILD_MINIMAL=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no INSTALL_HEADERS=yes LIB_TAG=nightly 

I will be grateful is anyone has any idea on the topic

Why LIB_TAG?

3 hours ago, Werner said:

Why LIB_TAG?

Good point. In short, this tag does not seem to matter much.

I came across this parameter when browsing through the documentation. The default is master, but since I use legacy, I thought it will make sense to set it accordingly. Please correct me if I misunderstood in anyway. In the end, I did not see any difference from setting this parameter. The issue persists with or without the parameter.

The issue is related to the building of the debs linux-image-*.deb . I have a feeling that this relates to the kernel linux-orangepi 4.9 repository. I wonder why it seems like I am the only one that has this problem 😂

LIB_TAG has nothing to do with kernel branches. You should always build from master unless you know what you do or being told otherwise.

I suggest to start over with a clean workspace since I yesterday successfully built an OPi02 bullseye legacy image without issues.

10 hours ago, Werner said:

LIB_TAG has nothing to do with kernel branches. You should always build from master unless you know what you do or being told otherwise.

I suggest to start over with a clean workspace since I yesterday successfully built an OPi02 bullseye legacy image without issues.

I tried your suggestion and it indeed works, with one condition. The disk's file system should not be NTFS, I think. I do not know the actual issue of using NTFS file system on Ubuntu Hirsute (kernel 5.11) to compile Armbian, but only when I start over with a clean workspace in my ext4 main drive, it works. It still has some issues such as toolchain not found, gpg verification failure. However, those are rather easy to mitigate.

When I try to boot with the Aug 26 2021 build of Buster, I get the following error message back on UART multiple times:

No FTD memory address configured. Please configure
the FTD address via "ftd addr <address>" command.
Aborting!

I'm a newbie, so this might be fixable with the proper address being configured in the console by me, but I don't know how that works.

32 minutes ago, vilodeid said:

anyone has any luck compiling Panfrost gpu drivers in legacy debian bullseye or any image for the opizero2?

I briefly tried to compile it with the stock image. The main thing is it needs *linux kernel headers* in the image to compile the panfrost gpu drivers, which I cannot get with the legacy debian bullseye via `apt install`.

After then, I have gained some more familiarity with the Armbian build system, and found out that we can get the linux kernel header via rebuilding the image from the git repository. This can be done by compiling it with the file argument `INSTALL_HEADERS="yes"`. So, it will be something like this `./compile.sh INSTALL_HEADERS="yes"`. I have successfully compiled an image with the headers, but not yet compiled the Panfrost gpu driver.

Let me know how things go with the *gpu driver compilation* because I also have interest in the subject, and also please correct me if I said something not right.

@vilodeid - in case you really want to play around with panfrost on h616, then maybe have a look at this https://oftc.irclog.whitequark.org/linux-sunxi/2021-05-27#29961750 and the irc logs from the following days ... a lot to read and not really easy stuff, but i think this the most detailed information which is there so far regarding this topic

happy reading and best wishes - hexdump

Helo all, I'am new here.

I just tried the official versions from page https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-zero-2/ , the latest version for Buster after update l not restarting anymore. The Bullseye is ok in some way but the official docker is not working, at hello world test is fail whatever patch is applied. Only podman framework is working fine, but for my needs is not for me. Any advice ? Thanks.

For the latest version in GITHub, kernel 5.4.14,  still no DTB overlay , even no -fixup.dtbo , so no WiFi and BT,  no any GPIO 

no reboot.

Run Hassio supervisor is very well .

Many USB WiFi can't link to AP with WPA2-PSK , such as 8192cu