OrangePi Zero2 - Allwinner H616

Werner

8 minutes ago, Igor said:

HDMI could have troubles. Did you try serial console?

Β 

I don't have serial console. It works on another monitorΒ  tough. I just found it odd it didn't on my main one.

15 hours ago, Igor said:

HDMI could have troubles. Did you try serial console?

Β 

Β 

How can i get a serial console cable? I'm very new to this small board world :)

I mean, i suppose it's a kind of usb cable that connects to some of the pins?

Guys, i'm running version 22.02.0-trunk.0046, from the download page. System load is always above 1. CPU temp is 53ΒΊ. Is this normal? I have nothing running on it. Completely idle.Β  I notice these processes take the most cpu:

Β 

systemd-udevd

cec thread

hdmi proc

Β 

Is this normal?

Β 

EDIT: Nothing connected to the HDMI port.

I have quit on this board. Temps were reaching 70+ CΒΊ yesterday and even 82ΒΊ today! Completely iddle. The NIC stopped working. I always used a standard charger or connected it to the router via a usb cable. No idea what might have caused this. To me orange pi is just a low quality clone board. I'll get a raspberry pi when it comes available.

This load-when-idle thing is kind a persistent issue. When the first images from xulong for OPi1+ with H6 SoC were released they had the very same issue.

Later somewhen on mainline kernel it re-appeared and was gone again somewhen.

Now it is back with the H616 which is kind a small brother of the H6 chip....

On 4/29/2022 at 7:33 PM, Werner said:

This load-when-idle thing is kind a persistent issue. When the first images from xulong for OPi1+ with H6 SoC were released they had the very same issue.

Later somewhen on mainline kernel it re-appeared and was gone again somewhen.

Now it is back with the H616 which is kind a small brother of the H6 chip....

Β 

Β 

Is there any image i can download without that issue? To see if i can resuscitate it.

4 minutes ago, FilSan said:

Β 

Β 

Is there any image i can download without that issue? To see if i can resuscitate it.

I don't know. I'm not much into H616 stuff...

Good day,

Β 

Thanks to all participants here, some great insight’s when starting journeys with orangepizero2.

Β 

I choose not to download the stable Focal 5.16.y image, which could have suited my use case.

Β 

Essentially I’ve done two working builds of Armbian 22.05.0-trunk Bullseye with bleeding edge Linux 5.17.5-sunxi64, one which applied the reboot patch editing during the build. I had satisfied my basic criteria, and had already moved along to look into the issues of my builds more thoroughly. Β For myself with the images I’ve built so far, properly functioning led’s, cpu frequency, and basic use of some pins would suffice. This venture would also deepen my understanding of here eco-system.

Β 

I’ve noticed as of yesterday that there is a jammy(autobuild) 5.17.5 in the download variants.

Β 

My question is there a specific reason the maintainer/s are not bumping the bullseye images?

Β 

Thanks

Not exactly sure what you after, or what version you using, (UART) serial is enabled you don't need to activate it.

Β 

alistair@orangepizero2:~$ dmesg | grep ttyS
[ Β  Β 0.000000] Kernel command line: root=UUID=bd87b5aa-cec1-4440-a5bf-9887cc6626a8 rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200 consoleblank=0 loglevel=1 ubootpart=98cd8c29-01 usb-storage.quirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u Β  cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1
[ Β  Β 1.558847] printk: console [ttyS0] disabled
[ Β  Β 1.558931] 5000000.serial: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x5000000 (irq = 32, base_baud = 1500000) is a 16550A
[ Β  Β 1.559090] printk: console [ttyS0] enabled
alistair@orangepizero2:~$
Β 

Orange Pi has released new debian images this week : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Xk7b1jOMg-rftowFLExynLg0CyuQ7kCM

I haven't tested it yet but it says 5.16.17 which should be a nice step from the previous 4.9 images if they managed to make all features to work.

Β 

They also updated their ubuntu images https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ohxfoxWJ0sv8yEHbrXL1Bu2RkBhuCMup

but still with 4.9 kernel

Does the latest Orange Pi distro allow the user to change the repositories/mirrors so that updates can be pulled from other apt repositories other than the ones included in the distro? I have found that to be a challenge in versions of Ubuntu and Debian that I have downloaded from Orange Pi's site. It seems to fail when source.list is edited to replace the repositories.