Consider shipping Transmission 3.0 by default

Hi Guys,

Big fan of Armbian. I've used it on an old Cubieboard2, and recently I've built a NAS with Odroid-HC2 and am using it there too.

This is the first opportunity I've had trying transmission-daemon on Linux with a 'real' workload of several hundred torrents. And as it turns out good old'n'stable Transmission 2.9x has a memory leak. It uses ~45 MB on Windows, and ~45 MB on Linux with v.3.0 from testing. But v.2.94 has climbed steadily from 50 MB up to ~350 MB within several days of use. This is a known issue (https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues/313) that affects and has been affecting Debian stable. Memory leaks were plugged in 3.0 as per the changelog. Older Transmission is therefore not usable for high uptime use and has to be restarted periodically.

And since NAS and torrent stuff is a big sell for SBCs and Armbian in general I think having a version that does not eat your memory would be very good.

Armbian does not provide this package. It comes from upstream. So it might be wise to encourage Debian/Ubuntu to backport it to Buster/Focal.

Or you use an Armbian flavor that ships version 3 with which would be Bullseye or Groovy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.