MyGica 1960 S912B trying hard to get Ubuntu installed

FHam

I would be immensely if anyone bright enough to help me.  I have an android TV box running Android 7.1 on a S912B Mygica 1960.  I have tried for days a while back to get this device to boot up with Ubunta and have given up.  I opened a case about this some time ago, and have actually given up and now I am tackling it again.

The issue, I have let it be via the android os - updates (which does not detect any files) or using the toothpick reset method which gives me the option to select aml_autoscript.zip.  Running this results in the following error 21 (see below);

— No package file selected.
-- Install /sdcard/aml_autoscript.zip

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: footer is wrong
Update package verification took 0.2 s (result 1).

E: Signature verification failed

E: error: 21

Installation aborted.

Could someone please send the correct image I need to run and also instruction on how to run it.  I am by no means an expert but I am so keen to get rid of Android on this device and install Linux.

Many thanks up front for your cooperation. 

Cheers Mr. Finch, for your response.  Have you got one of these crappy ATV box that just does not want to install any variant of Linux.

I have tried the following img but none work;

Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.037_Aml-s9xxx_bionic_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img

Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.038_Aml-s9xxx_eoan_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img

Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.038_Aml-s9xxx_bullseye_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img

altlinux_mate_20190902.img

Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_focal_current_5.8.7_desktop.img

Armbian_20.12_Rk3328-tv_bullseye_current_5.10.0-rc5_desktop.img

It is a real shame, I cannot get this bogus poxy box to work with Armbian!

:(

@FHam,

I wish you best of luck in getting this working.  It is possible (maybe?), however can be difficult (as you are perhaps finding out).

If you cannot get it working, or get tired of messing around with unsupported devices, you could also consider starting over with one of Armbian officially supported devices, where you would not only have a much easier time, but also enjoy long term and (generally) much more stable support situation.

Just something to consider.  I really feel bad for you guys struggling with these TV Boxes in here.  But the wide variations and random hardware make them extremely difficult to support.  And without software support, the most impressive specs in the world "on paper" really don't mean anything.

By contrast, I am enjoying a couple well supported devices for a number of years now, they run flawless and for the most part "just work."  Just keep it in mind, the next time you go device shopping...

@FHam 

First I want to restate some of the basics around armbian on android tv boxes.  1) They are not supported.  2) A single developer (balbes150) has worked years on getting things to the state they are.  3) As of October 14th balbes150 removed support for amlog cpus, so that is the last build that will maybe work on your box, 4) There is a very small number of people on this forum/club that are able to provide any guidance, 5) Most likely no one on this forum/club has ever seen your specific box, 6) Expectations should be set low (i.e. don't expect anything to work) but if you do get the box to boot, get hdmi and wired ethernet to work, you are doing good.  7) Really don't expect things like wifi, bluetooth, remote control etc to work.  8) If you get this working on your box, it will likely only be useful for server type tasks, maybe a little light graphical desktop usage, but certainly not video/multimedia.

There is a lot of information in the two threads you have opened on your installation problems.  I think at this point it would make sense to start from the beginning and step through the basics to try to help you.  There were a couple of very important questions asked of you in the old closed thread that you didn't answer.  I am going to make some recommendations in an effort to try to help.

1) Use the latest/last build that supports amlogic cpus: https://yadi.sk/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/20.10/20201014

2) Follow the instructions (I agree that the instructions are often not clear) from the first post of this thread: 

I recently wrote a post that attempted to help someone better understand the instructions for an amlogic cpu as he was having difficulty understanding the instructions from balbes150.  This may help you:

3) Pay particular attention to the first sentence in red.  If you have ever tried to install other linux builds on this box, stop.  You will first need to restore the box with an original android firmware before continuing.  This is true even if the box is still running android.  The key here is if you have ever 'attempted' to install something else.  The installation process for some other firmwares will modify the booting environment in ways that cause the armbian install to no longer work.  The armbiantv installation is dependent on an unmodified default android environment.  I have more than once solved problems I have had by reverting a box to a clean fresh state by reinstalling the android firmware.  Note, when I say reinstall the android firmware, that doesn't mean using the android functionality to reset the box, it means going out and finding the correct manufactures firmware file and using the low level amlogic tools to install that on your box.  This is one of the questions asked in the previous thread that you didn't answer, which is why I am spending so much time on it.  It is critical that the state of the box be known and clean otherwise we are all just wasting time.

4) In your previous thread you have a screen shot showing you trying to run aml_autoscript.zip from android recovery.  From my understanding if you find yourself in android recovery you are doing something wrong.  No part of the installation process uses android recovery.  I have always been successful with the 'toothpick' method and would recommend you stick with that.  

5)  The extlinux.conf file you posted in the previous thread had a number of errors in it.  Please post the extlinux.conf file you are currently trying to use.

You are working with a box that isn't common.  I have no experience with it.  But by correctly following the installation, you may yet be successful. 

8 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

@FHam 

First I want to restate some of the basics around armbian on android tv boxes.  1) They are not supported.  2) A single developer (balbes150) has worked years on getting things to the state they are.  3) As of October 14th balbes150 removed support for amlog cpus, so that is the last build that will maybe work on your box, 4) There is a very small number of people on this forum/club that are able to provide any guidance, 5) Most likely no one on this forum/club has ever seen your specific box, 6) Expectations should be set low (i.e. don't expect anything to work) but if you do get the box to boot, get hdmi and wired ethernet to work, you are doing good.  7) Really don't expect things like wifi, bluetooth, remote control etc to work.  8) If you get this working on your box, it will likely only be useful for server type tasks, maybe a little light graphical desktop usage, but certainly not video/multimedia.

There is a lot of information in the two threads you have opened on your installation problems.  I think at this point it would make sense to start from the beginning and step through the basics to try to help you.  There were a couple of very important questions asked of you in the old closed thread that you didn't answer.  I am going to make some recommendations in an effort to try to help.

1) Use the latest/last build that supports amlogic cpus: https://yadi.sk/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/20.10/20201014

2) Follow the instructions (I agree that the instructions are often not clear) from the first post of this thread: 

I recently wrote a post that attempted to help someone better understand the instructions for an amlogic cpu as he was having difficulty understanding the instructions from balbes150.  This may help you:

3) Pay particular attention to the first sentence in red.  If you have ever tried to install other linux builds on this box, stop.  You will first need to restore the box with an original android firmware before continuing.  This is true even if the box is still running android.  The key here is if you have ever 'attempted' to install something else.  The installation process for some other firmwares will modify the booting environment in ways that cause the armbian install to no longer work.  The armbiantv installation is dependent on an unmodified default android environment.  I have more than once solved problems I have had by reverting a box to a clean fresh state by reinstalling the android firmware.  Note, when I say reinstall the android firmware, that doesn't mean using the android functionality to reset the box, it means going out and finding the correct manufactures firmware file and using the low level amlogic tools to install that on your box.  This is one of the questions asked in the previous thread that you didn't answer, which is why I am spending so much time on it.  It is critical that the state of the box be known and clean otherwise we are all just wasting time.

4) In your previous thread you have a screen shot showing you trying to run aml_autoscript.zip from android recovery.  From my understanding if you find yourself in android recovery you are doing something wrong.  No part of the installation process uses android recovery.  I have always been successful with the 'toothpick' method and would recommend you stick with that.  

5)  The extlinux.conf file you posted in the previous thread had a number of errors in it.  Please post the extlinux.conf file you are currently trying to use.

You are working with a box that isn't common.  I have no experience with it.  But by correctly following the installation, you may yet be successful. 

SteeMan, Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me.  I really appreciate your support and will start from the beginning and have another crack at it.  

I will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, SteeMan said:

I think I may add some variation of this to my selection of copypastas for replying to common forum posts.  Well done!  :thumbup:

Get this image: Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.9.0_desktop.img from @balbes150 thread/drives and you will be running in no time. (unless you have lots of files and start confounding them as I did)
Ubuntu is a bit harder on hardware/slower than debian, I ended up reburning the flash card and started debian. In the low end they are the same, Ubuntu is just some flavor, color and sprinkles over the hood.

Now, I used the match technique.... (like the toothpick but without a sharp end) and after rebooting I found out that I don't need it, put the card and it starts on it own from it. Take it out and it will boot from internal.

What you do need is to choose the right dtb file on extlinux.conf, it has already some disabled, but it has a lot that are not on the file and maybe "yours" is one of them.

One of the things I faced at boot time, was getting stuck, hang, reboot, etc... when choosing the wrong file.

Also pay special attention on extlinux files since one not disabled line will make you suffer. Read everything twice... or more.