How to get vdpau work on orange pi pc

danix

Hi,

I have a orange pi pc. I tried the ubuntu xenial image (kernel 5.3.5) from the orange pi website and the armbian 5.8 image.

I don't get vdpau working. It did not work out of the box in both images.

So I tried to install the libvdpau-sunxi: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=878

It compiled. Then I got the error that the cedar_dev dosn't exist. Then I found out that the mainline kernel doesn't have this module. So I tried this: https://github.com/uboborov/sunxi-cedar-mainline

But I don't understand what I have to do there.

Is there a current armbian image that has a working vdpau or can you send me a manual how I can get it to work with a current armbian image?

Thank you in advance.

Ok. thanks for the information. So in the next version it sould be there?

I tried to play a h.264 video with vlc and libva like mentioned here: https://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi-cedrus

It worked. But while paying a .ts file there were lots of lost frames.

Can I use VDR with my orange pi pc with libva on 20.11 or do I have to wait for the 21.02 release?

52 minutes ago, danix said:

in the next version it sould be there?

52 minutes ago, danix said:

do I have to wait for the 21.02 release?

I could be wrong but, if I am understanding correctly, and this is available already in dev, you could download one of those (dev / nightly) images and give that a test.

My read of that AR-377 was kind of "OK this should be working, but we don't have any way to test it."  And if that is true then you could actually help out a lot by doing said testing and reporting back your results.

9 hours ago, danix said:

So in the next version it should be there?

No and as @TRS-80 exposed - it might already work, but we don't know.

That mainly means problem is recognized since several months (Task created July 22, 2020, 7:07 PM). We have a wish to do something about but issue has low priority, which means chances that we will cover for implementation from our private pocket because you asked for - are extremely small. If you want to have impact on development, you have two options - to join (on anything that helps) and receive some help from it and move things on ... or throw a bag of cash and we will reach out and hire help. Current contributors are loaded over 100% and do what they can do, while community keep asking for free services 24/7, already for several millions worth of R&D. Most of those wishes will not get any attention.