Add marketplace forums?

Werner
Go to solution Solved by Werner,

I stumbled across this topic which lead me to the idea: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/16426-selling-helios64/?tab=comments#comment-115128

I strip it down to a few notes:

• create a new sub-forums trade/marketplace where people
    • can offer spare SBCs for trade or sale and
    • can create requests if somebody is willing to sell his board XY
  • To participate users need to fulfill TBD requirements like number of days registered, posts, reputation...
  • User must agree to rules in order to create topics which will state that
    • Armbian staff does not and will not be involved in any way into trades. Armbian takes no responsibility for whatever may go wrong whatsoever
    • and user shall use PM, email or any 3rd party messenger to exchange private details
    • commercial sales will be forbidden. private trades/offers only

What do you think? Waste of time or an idea worth a try? Let me know!

I think the idea is great, the implementation might be a challenge.
I'd say: leave it to up to someone else as even if Armbian Staff isn't involved, potential issues might reflect bad on the Armbian project, especially coming from armbian.com.

If the interest was really that high, there would already be a dedicated subreddit full of people selling SBCs. (/r/homelabsales might count)

19 minutes ago, barnumbirr said:

potential issues might reflect bad on the Armbian project, especially coming from armbian.com

Limited to probably long term community members only should prevent that. We are not looking to become next ebay. Just to give people place to get rid of stuff they don't need. Perhaps also give away for free.

3 hours ago, Werner said:

To participate users need to fulfill TBD requirements like number of days registered, posts, reputation...

ThinkPad Forums have such a marketplace.  Which in reality is just another subforum.  Although they don't limit participation in any way.  Instead they have one long feedback thread where everyone posts their results, e.g. "Igor sent the package on time and well wrapped" etc. so people can just search in there themselves for "buyer/seller feedback" and there is not even any need of staff approving any one or limits of any kind.  Completely caveat emptor, as they say.

If above way is deemed sufficient, the only "loophole" I could see would be people changing their user name.  So I just took a quick look around my own profile, and this does not seem to be possible?

In fact I acquired highly sought after FlexView screen from guy halfway around the world through ThinkPad marketplace.  :D  But I am kind of person that doesn't mind dealing directly with people 1:1 via CraigsList, etc.  Other people like to have some mediator at least nominally involved (eBay, etc.) so this sort of thing would not be for those kind of people.

Edited by TRS-80

• Solution

I just created the mentioned section.

It is not visible to guests so if we choose to remove it again there will not be any SEO impact whatsoever. Does not make sense to make it public anways since it is dedicated to (long-term) members only.

Users need to be "members" and have some approved postings across the entire community.

Important Information

Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Guidelines