Orange Pi 4 PCIe Link Speed?

jstefanop

22 minutes ago, jstefanop said:

What is the current pcie link speed set for stable Armbian 5.9.x release?

We have Gen1 by default as it's the only one that's officially supported by Rockchip with RK3399:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip64-current/add-board-orangepi-4.patch#L839

You can however try switching it to Gen2 with pcie-gen2 overlay (overlays=pcie-gen2 in /boot/armbianEnv.txt) and see how it goes:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip64-current/general-rockchip-overlays.patch#L70

I have a NanoPC T4 (RK3399) with Friendly ARM ubuntu distro NOT Armbian as yet - I plan to migrate hence why I am reading these forums

If this provides a data point?

scott@hass:~$ sudo lspci -vv | grep -E 'PCI bridge|LnkCap'
00:00.0 PCI bridge: Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 0100 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s <256ns, L1 <8us
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s unlimited, L1 <64us

scott@hass:~$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/nvme0n1p2

/dev/nvme0n1p2:
 Timing buffered disk reads: 1784 MB in  3.00 seconds = 594.26 MB/sec

On 12/11/2020 at 2:26 PM, piter75 said:

We have Gen1 by default as it's the only one that's officially supported by Rockchip with RK3399:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip64-current/add-board-orangepi-4.patch#L839

You can however try switching it to Gen2 with pcie-gen2 overlay (overlays=pcie-gen2 in /boot/armbianEnv.txt) and see how it goes:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip64-current/general-rockchip-overlays.patch#L70

Ok we just finished our 2x M.2 breakout board (uses both lanes exposed by the PCIE port on the orange pi 4). Is there a similar setting for link width? Its currently picking up a x4 Gen 3 M.2 drive with both link speed downgraded to gen 1 (as expected), and width downgraded to 1x. Should be 2x. 

23.02.2021 в 17:51, thc013 сказал:

they are back in stock now from what i see , i just ordered one last week

I bought this one a year ago, along with the board.

This is a miniPCIe.

Me also need an adapter to connect an NVMe SSD with an M2 key.  I can't find one.

Yeah it is a m2 slot and just 2 lanes and there are nvme ssd with a m2 key they are called m2 ssd

they copied the m2 slot of the rk3399 board to a pcie/m2 slot with a flex cable

so  more as 2x pcie is not gonna happen

i get today that pcie board , just in time i fixed yesterday the typc boot option in uboot the pinebook and the helios gave the solution rk3399 is not that good in bringing up all rails in 1 time and they do  it in the board c file instead with the dts file

hello jstefanop!

Have you released your custom board at last>?

I want to use the orangepi with my NvME SSD and 10Gbps network card but it seems not detect neither of them..... with the mini-pcie to PCI-E converter and PCIE hub it could not boot at all.....

Did you built your own kernel to get it working? 

On 4/7/2021 at 4:41 AM, disablewong said:

hello jstefanop!

Have you released your custom board at last>?

I want to use the orangepi with my NvME SSD and 10Gbps network card but it seems not detect neither of them..... with the mini-pcie to PCI-E converter and PCIE hub it could not boot at all.....

Did you built your own kernel to get it working? 

stock kernel works, issue is with orange pi 4 has badly designed FPC connector for PCIE lanes. They didn't group the diff pairs so transmission over FPC cable sucks. We had to make a flex ribbon board to correct this and route as diff pairs so Gen 2 2x works great. Might make some extra and release the board if there is enough interest. 

IMG_9477.jpg

On 5/1/2021 at 12:39 AM, jstefanop said:

stock kernel works, issue is with orange pi 4 has badly designed FPC connector for PCIE lanes. They didn't group the diff pairs so transmission over FPC cable sucks. We had to make a flex ribbon board to correct this and route as diff pairs so Gen 2 2x works great. Might make some extra and release the board if there is enough interest. 

IMG_9477.jpg

I would be happy to buy one or two of this if it's available.  I think it would be a good choice for building NAS with the power of RK3399. 
Is your board go with M.2 adaptor and could be converted to PCI-E x1 slot?
Which image you've tested with? the stock kernel from orangepi? or the image from armbian?

On 4/30/2021 at 6:39 PM, jstefanop said:

IMG_9477.jpg

Nice job!
Have you released the design files, or any means to buy your adapter?

Do you have any tips on booting from the external SSD?