La-Frite (AML-S805X-AC): Unreadable text in virtual terminal (wrong resolution?)

ilyaigpetrov

I've recorded Armbian_20.11_Lafrite_focal_current_5.9.6.img.xz to an usb drive and booted it on La Frite with the latest firmware u-boot-2020-07-r7.bin from http://share.loverpi.com/board/libre-computer-project/libre-computer-board/aml-s805x-ac/firmware/.

Armbian boots but text is almost unreadable. I guess, I have to tweak some linux boot parameters but I don't know how to do this without GRUB.

I tried holding u-boot button during a launch of the board but it gives no effect.

How should I edit kernel parameters on La-Frite? Is there any other solution?

la-frite-armbin-glitch-small.thumb.jpg.45bb70fe3c4dbc8c5eb29087a6294b48.jpg

I don't like to insult anyone by assuming their knowledge level around here (because there is quite a range, from noob all the way to kernel wizard, myself only being somewhere perhaps low to medium at best on that scale).  However answering your question somewhat requires at least taking that into account.

Because, unless you really know what you are doing, I probably would not be mixing some outside firmware with a downloaded Armbian image.  If you want to be doing stuff like that, you should be using the build tools instead and create your own image from scratch.  Then you can include whatever you like.  However, again, unless you really think you know better than Armbian devs (or you just like to experiment), you are probably better just going with the provided image as it comes (firmware and everything else required are already included therein).  Taking a quick look at the download page for Libre Computer, this device (LaFrite) appears as "Supported" so I would lean towards using the default provided image, which may already contain the latest firmware.  And if not, there is probably some reason for that.

And if you do know something better than devs, please consider getting involved with the project;)  :beer:

Edited by TRS-80

12 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

[...]you are probably better just going with the provided image as it comes (firmware and everything else required are already included therein).

To update firmware I just followed instructions on https://www.armbian.com/la-frite/ (under "SPI bootloader update" headline) so, I guess, I'm going the official way.

12 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

[...]this device (LaFrite) appears as "Supported"

Does it mean I should create a forum topic under another category/thread?

9 hours ago, ilyaigpetrov said:

To update firmware I just followed instructions on https://www.armbian.com/la-frite/ (under "SPI bootloader update" headline) so, I guess, I'm going the official way.

It appears you are correct!  I don't have this board and never noticed that before.

9 hours ago, ilyaigpetrov said:

Does it mean I should create a forum topic under another category/thread?

I will move it to the appropriate forum now.