Holiday shopping the easy way

TRS-80

I never know what to get anyone.  If I'm being honest I have more than a little disdain for how commercialized the holidays have become nowadays.  We were not raised in a materialistic way growing up.  A lot of gifts were socks and other actually useful things like that (which I only appreciate now as I get older :D).  Anyway...

So when some of the guys shared some pictures of themselves with some Armbian swag in IRC a while back, a little light bulb went off in my head.  :)

So this morning, I went nuts and spent > 400 USD sending everyone in my family some Armbian swag:D  I figure, it's a good way to get the word out there to friends and family about a project I care a lot about, while supporting the project a bit financially at the same time.

:love:  :thumbup:  :beer:

I don't expect anyone else to spend that sort of money, in fact I am a tight wad and rarely do, myself.  But a coffee mug or something might be nice?

I also don't like to rush people (because I don't like to be rushed, myself), however if you are going for delivery before the holidays I would place your order ASAP, maybe even today.

One final gotcha, their credit card processor apparently only allow 2 orders per day.  Luckily I had sent orders to other family first, because my third order was denied.  I called their customer support and they confirmed this issue and told me to try again after 24 hours.  So the stuff that is coming here for us I will place that order (again) tomorrow.  I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about that though.

Edited by TRS-80

I just placed my third (and final) order.  Went through no problem as expected.  This was on US site.

Already earlier today I received shipping confirmation of my first order!  With an updated ETA which was some days earlier than originally projected.

I guess what I am saying is, if you are on the fence and not sure the stuff will arrive in time, give it a shot, as I think they seem a bit conservative in their initial estimates (when trying to upsell you on faster shipping ;)).

I will update again once orders 2 and 3 ship.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, TRS-80 said:

So this morning, I went nuts and spent > 400 USD sending everyone in my family some Armbian swag:D

Wow. Does your family know what Armbian is?
Cool family if so. Nobody in my family knows what Linux is, and wouldn't understand if I told them. And I make videos about it.
I hope they are happy with their gifts. Armbian all the way :) 

On 12/15/2020 at 10:17 PM, NicoD said:

Does your family know what Armbian is?

Of course not!  But they are about to...  :D

All jokes aside, I talk to anyone who seems even the slightest bit interested about the importance of Free Software every chance I get.  So my family have all heard the words of our Lord and Saviour rms many times by now.  :D

Second order shipped yesterday.  Projected to arrive 12/28.  It seems like they suddenly got busy.  I guess I am not the only one ordering "last minute" holiday gifts.

They contacted me about third order, because some colors (black) of design (penguin) were too close to item they were being printed on (dark blue).  Which I thought was nice of them.  Third order have not shipped as of time of writing (but I placed it one day after first two, and there was that confirmation delay).

Edited by TRS-80

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.