Station P1 - unboxing

Werner

Full disclosure: I was one of the winner of a free Station P1 and they ask to provide a few postings about it.

So this will be my first one where I unbox it.

Funnily  I did expect some kind a cardboard box but instead I received a plastic bag. Well, I take it.

PXL_20201215_121032891.jpg

Within the Fedex bag was another bag from DHL. No idea what happened there...

Anyway inside the bubble wrap I found a HDMI cable, a remote control a flyer presenting various products and (finally) a car

PXL_20201215_121121507.jpg

Apparently I received one of the first products since mine has the serial number 000049

PXL_20201215_121157665.jpg

After opening the box I was greeted with the Station P1 itself wrapped in a small bag which I already removed in the picture:

PXL_20201215_121208777.jpg

I have the say the housing is really nice. Seems well made. I won't bore you with more details because I am pretty confident that others like @NicoD will provide some close-up footage of his product :lol:

Anyway after digging deeper I found another box containing the antenna, a 100-240V to 12V DC power supply with US plug, a USB to USB-C cable, some buffers and a hex wrench:

PXL_20201215_121313993.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot power it since I life in Europe and the sent plug does not fit my sockets. Fortunately the power supply is providing far range input voltage so a simple plug adapter will do. Though I have to order one first.

Next I most likely will play with Armbian on Linux 5.10.x and at the end try some desktop playing using TwisterOS.

1 minute ago, TRS-80 said:

I guess you have your reasons for not posting in the Reviews forum instead?

Yes. This obviously is not a (good) review. I am not very good in such things. That is why it is in general chat.

I've got the NVMe hat on the way. I asked the people of Firefly. I only needed to pay for the hat, so I'm happy. The extra $30 for shipping was a bit too much for me. It's more than the device is worth. 
I don't know if I mentioned it already. I replaced the thick thermal pad with copper shims. It doesn't overheat anymore. I'll show it in my review video. I needed 2 copper shims on top of each other to reach the height of the thermal pad. With copper shims of double the height would probably perform a bit better.
image.png.3ef30599a6b27e27284bd8f416c5da13.png
Now the case does get very hot when used maxed out.
The CPU used to go over 85C and start throttling. Now maximum temperature is 79C and no throttling. Tho this is with 1.5Ghz/2Ghz overclock. With default clocks it didn't overheat.

4 minutes ago, NicoD said:

I've got the NVMe hat on the way. I asked the people of Firefly. I only needed to pay for the hat, so I'm happy. The extra $30 for shipping was a bit too much for me.

Great :thumbup:

At my side I guess it depends on how much I fall  I love with the pbp which should arrive upcoming Monday. For either one of these devices I consider pickup up a NVMe adapter.

1 minute ago, Werner said:

At my side I guess it depends on how much I fall  I love with the pbp which should arrive upcoming Monday.

I would have loved to have the PBP. But it's a bit too expensive.
I've got my self made SBC "laptops". Either my first with a 7" 1024x600 display and Odroid C2 or RPi2b to save energy. All together -1A 5V.
And my 13.3" 1080p display either with M4V2 or Khadas VIM3. The display alone is 1.2A. I then clock my RK3399 to all cores 1Ghz for watching movies or internet. Uses less than 1A then. Still powerful enough.
Also got speakers in my display. So having this already I didn't see the sense in buying the PBP. Too bad they don't want to work with me. I'd love to have reviewed the PBP, the PinePhone, PineCube... 
I was the first to have a video about all those products since I filmed their stand at FOSDEM in 2019.
I now ordered a 60 000mAh power bank. I'll be able to use it for a week without charging. And it can charge with quickcharge. So in a rather short time I'll be able to charge it enough to last a long time. I can't wait for the lockdowns to be done so I can travel again. It's awesome to be able to use my desktop PC in my tent on solar power. 
Here a picture of my first box almost 5 years ago now. Doesn't look as good as PBP. But functions as I need it. 
image.thumb.png.1567a2f677f4e9b2e4b33e654d3a61cd.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.