RK3399 Legacy Multimedia Framework

JMCC

3 minutes ago, madao said:

Jellyfin supports VAAPI decoding, isn't that the case for rk3399?

However, the big task on the CPU is encoding, not decoding. So I recommend you to convert all your files to some compatible format (h264), or using clients that can decode any format (like Kodi with plugin). That way, your Jellyfin server won't need to do any decoding/encoding, only pass the stream to the client, which consumes almost no CPU.

5 минут назад, JMCC сказал:

However, the big task on the CPU is encoding, not decoding. So I recommend you to convert all your files to some compatible format (h264), or using clients that can decode any format (like Kodi with plugin). That way, your Jellyfin server won't need to do any decoding/encoding, only pass the stream to the client, which consumes almost no CPU.

Thank you. After purchasing my board, spent a month on this problem. I tried different distros, with legacy and main kernels, build armbian with panfrost. The devil is in the details

Edited by madao
ru layot

Not sure but from guts feel the last update reduced performance a bit. Got more artifacts when working with VScode and in Hexchat on tab change rendering takes very long.

Also btw. do you know if the proprietary blob supports GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap? This is needed in order to use compiz as window manager instead of marco for example.

articact.png

6 hours ago, Werner said:

the last update reduced performance a bit

That means it is working :)

Let me explain: last update did not change any binaries. It was instead a deep change in how the package installed the libraries, since the "old simple method" that used to work in Stretch and Bionic,  was not working correctly with Buster's ldconfig. So I had to do things "the complicated way", as prescribed by recent Debian packaging rules.

So, before, you were simply not having any acceleration. Hence the errors that some of you posted. Now, you are getting Glamor "acceleration", which gives you the possibility of having GPU accelerated layers (for video play, 3D apps, WebGL, etc.), in exchange for a loss in 2D performance.

Rockchip is now working on a new version of their X server, supporting EXA acceleration, which *should* be better . But I am not sure even how well it works, it would require some investigation. 

@Werner  @NicoD

OK, I could not resist, and compiled a test version of the latest RK Xserver. I tested it, and gave me good impression in terms of performance, and also seemed to correct some old bugs that appeared when you enabled desktop compositing. However, I cannot tell too well about the performance, because I am using the board connected to a cheap HDMI-USB capture device, on my laptop's screen :(

If you want to give it a try, and give some feedback, you can download the packages from here (you need to install these two with "dpkg -i *.deb", and then do "apt -f install" just in case there is some missing dep).

https://users.armbian.com/jmcc/packages/new-xserver/

@JMCCI was just recording everything to make the Buster media video. I've used Balbes image on the Station P1 and everything worked perfectly.
So I've got all the images that I needed. As last I thought I need to show what image to download. And I saw the 12 december date. The problematic images still.
I can not release my video pointing to images that don't boot. I also don't want to point to an older image on the backup.
So I'd better wait until there are new images. Buster legacy for P1 build with build script also doesn't work. No HDMI.

I've now got a running buster with media script on my P1. So I'll try the new things. Also checked chromium playback and it was way better than before. Also Kodi works great.
I think many people will be happy with this. Instead of needing 2 sd cards for desktop and media....
Thank you.

@JMCCI don't know what the new things should improve. But everything seems perfect. Youtube playback is great with a display resolution of 1440p. image.png.f7aabfa43e10ca2c3d7250c81c450ae7.png

4k even works for the first time I've known on RK3399. Also in Kodi 4k works great.
I watched Southpark's Pandemic special in 4k at 4k. I didn't know Southpark could look that good :) 

The only thing I didn't like about Bionic with the media script was the dragging of windows that was buggy. No problem here with that. So I'd not know why I shouldn't switch now. 
I can't wait for my Station P1 NVMe hat to arrive. I've already gotten a Samsung EVO 970 500GB from my mailman yesterday for it. 
This setup is going on it. 

The alternative Youtube playback is also good "mpv --gpu-context=drm ..." 4K30fps plays very well with 1440p display resolution.
There is a little bit of artifacting of black strips. At 4k resolution the artifacting is way worse. 
Problem with many Youtubers these days is they use 60fps. And that doesn't play well with it.
With chromium 720p60fps works well enough with 1440p display resolution.  

Is there a possibility of choosing the video resolution? 1440p60fps would probably work with mpv with 1440p display resolution. 
Tho for me 4K is too much in Armbian. My display may be 4k, but not big enough to see it all well. And changing dpi settings makes things look weird.
Edit : 
I'm learning, slowly :) In console it plays perfect without artifacting. Also when all browsers are closed in the desktop it will play perfect. 

31 minutes ago, JMCC said:

--ytdl-format="bestvideo[height<=?720]+bestaudio/best"

Doesn't seem much better. I tried 720 and 1080p. Both seem very laggy just as 4k60fps.
Seems to do change to 1080p or 720p. 

Spoiler

nicod@station-p1:~$ mpv --ytdl-format="bestvideo[height<=?1080]+bestaudio/best" --gpu-context=drm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (vp9 1920x1080 59.940fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (opus 2ch 48000Hz)
[vo/gpu] VT_GETMODE failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set up VT switcher. Terminal switching will be unavailable.
[vaapi] libva: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)
mpi: mpp version: 11d98147 author: JMCC Import changes from fork Kwiboo/mpp, branch libreelec-hdr, and version bump
hal_vp9d_api: hal_vp9d_init in
mpp_rt: NOT found ion allocator
mpp_rt: found drm allocator
mpp: deprecated block control, use timeout control instead
mpp_log: Invalid frame marker
hal_vp9d_api: hal_vp9d_flush in
mpp_device: mpp_device_send_reg ioctl VPU_IOC_SET_REG failed ret -1 errno 14 Bad address
hal_vp9d_api: VP9H_DBG_REG: ERROR: mpp_device_send_reg Failed!!!
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
mpp_device: mpp_device_wait_reg ioctl VPU_IOC_GET_REG failed ret -1 errno 110 Connection timed out
[ffmpeg/video] vp9_rkmpp: Received a errinfo frame.
Error while decoding frame (hardware decoding)!
mpp_device: mpp_device_send_reg ioctl VPU_IOC_SET_REG failed ret -1 errno 14 Bad address
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
mpp_device: mpp_device_wait_reg ioctl VPU_IOC_GET_REG failed ret -1 errno 110 Connection timed out
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
hal_vp9d_api: hal_vp9d_reset in
VO: [gpu] 1920x1080 yuv420p10
AV: 00:00:00 / 00:05:13 (0%) A-V:  0.421 Dropped: 10 Cache: 39s/35MB

Audio/Video desynchronisation detected! Possible reasons include too slow
hardware, temporary CPU spikes, broken drivers, and broken files. Audio
position will not match to the video (see A-V status field).

AV: 00:00:10 / 00:05:13 (3%) A-V:  0.399 Cache: 76s/67MB

AV: 00:00:19 / 00:05:13 (6%) A-V:  0.424 Dropped: 9 Cache: 75s/65MB

AV: 00:00:25 / 00:05:13 (8%) A-V:  0.395 Cache: 76s/66MB

AV: 00:00:25 / 00:05:13 (8%) A-V:  2.297 Cache: 79s/70MB

Exiting... (Quit)

I'm on the rockpro64 running Armbian_20.11.3_Rockpro64_buster_current_5.9.14_desktop.img file

Every time I execute media-buster-legacy-rk3399 it goes through, but when reset the rp64 doesn't boot again.

Am i supposed to change kernel to 4.4.xxx before executing package or am i not supposed to download image from https://www.armbian.com/rockpro64/

and am expected to build armbian some other way?

Currently my steps are burn Buster from armbian page with the 5.9 Kernel

update and upgrade

run package and reset

what am i missing?

I am running it in a weird 1080 75hz native monitor, could it be that or just the kernel change?

I'm on the rockpro64 running Armbian_20.11.3_Rockpro64_buster_current_5.9.14_desktop.img file
Every time I execute media-buster-legacy-rk3399 it goes through, but when reset the rp64 doesn't boot again.

Am i supposed to change kernel to 4.4.xxx before executing package or am i not supposed to download image from https://www.armbian.com/rockpro64/
and am expected to build armbian some other way?

Currently my steps are burn Buster from armbian page with the 5.9 Kernel
update and upgrade
run package and reset
what am i missing?

I am running it in a weird 1080 75hz native monitor, could it be that or just the kernel change?
You need to have a working buster desktop with legacy kernel *before* installing the media package.

Right now, the easiest path for you is to download the buster legacy image, and then use armbian-config to install "Default Xfce Desktop".

In the next Armbian update, there will be available Buster Legacy Desktop images for download

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

11 hours ago, JMCC said:

@Werner  @NicoD

OK, I could not resist, and compiled a test version of the latest RK Xserver. I tested it, and gave me good impression in terms of performance, and also seemed to correct some old bugs that appeared when you enabled desktop compositing. However, I cannot tell too well about the performance, because I am using the board connected to a cheap HDMI-USB capture device, on my laptop's screen :(

If you want to give it a try, and give some feedback, you can download the packages from here (you need to install these two with "dpkg -i *.deb", and then do "apt -f install" just in case there is some missing dep).

https://users.armbian.com/jmcc/packages/new-xserver/

Very cool. I'll give it a try. Not sure how to roll back if something goes wrong.

11 hours ago, NicoD said:

So I'd better wait until there are new images. Buster legacy for P1 build with build script also doesn't work. No HDMI.

Until then use balbes images. He is also willing to fix this in master if he gets some feedback mentioned here: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/15693-get-for-free-station-p1-rk3399-m1-rk3328/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-116241

I think many people will be happy with this. Instead of needing 2 sd cards for desktop and media....

Indeed. This is really nice.

9 hours ago, NicoD said:

I can't wait for my Station P1 NVMe hat to arrive. I've already gotten a Samsung EVO 970 500GB from my mailman yesterday for it. 
This setup is going on it. 

I'd love to hear about that as soon as the adapter arrives at your place. I did not order one yet. Wanted to know what your experiences with it are.

15 hours ago, NicoD said:

Doesn't seem much better. I tried 720 and 1080p. Both seem very laggy just as 4k60fps.
Seems to do change to 1080p or 720p. 

Reveal hidden contents

nicod@station-p1:~$ mpv --ytdl-format="bestvideo[height<=?1080]+bestaudio/best" --gpu-context=drm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (vp9 1920x1080 59.940fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (opus 2ch 48000Hz)
[vo/gpu] VT_GETMODE failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set up VT switcher. Terminal switching will be unavailable.
[vaapi] libva: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)
mpi: mpp version: 11d98147 author: JMCC Import changes from fork Kwiboo/mpp, branch libreelec-hdr, and version bump
hal_vp9d_api: hal_vp9d_init in
mpp_rt: NOT found ion allocator
mpp_rt: found drm allocator
mpp_log: Invalid frame marker
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
could not consume packet
VO: [gpu] 1920x1080 yuv420p10
AV: 00:00:00 / 00:05:13 (0%) A-V:  0.421 Dropped: 10 Cache: 39s/35MB

AV: 00:00:10 / 00:05:13 (3%) A-V:  0.399 Cache: 76s/67MB

AV: 00:00:19 / 00:05:13 (6%) A-V:  0.424 Dropped: 9 Cache: 75s/65MB

AV: 00:00:25 / 00:05:13 (8%) A-V:  0.395 Cache: 76s/66MB

AV: 00:00:25 / 00:05:13 (8%) A-V:  2.297 Cache: 79s/70MB

Exiting... (Quit)

Seems like it is not working now. It worked just ten days ago. The problem is that the YouTube API is constantly changing, and the yt-download script is constantly trying to adapt to the changes, like a game of cat and mouse. So probably it will work again at some point in the future, or maybe not. I added a disclaimer in the post.

@JMCCThere's one thing that seems wrong with Chromium. All pictures seem in 256 colors reduced quality. Just like the old days.image.png.0257687e146666809f9e9d02a0e71da8.png
Here an example of Belgian news site.
Otherwise everything works perfect. I watched a cyclocross race. Looked great. Without acc that always looks awful because of the fast moving images.
Video is in full color.

7 hours ago, Werner said:

Until then use balbes images. He is also willing to fix this in master if he gets some feedback mentioned here: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/15693-get-for-free-station-p1-rk3399-m1-rk3328/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-116241

I don't really understand why there's an issue on Buster, but not with others. Isn't it all the same kernel.
I'd think to use the working version if it's not a too big change. But what do I know :) 
I just need to have working downloadable Buster legacy for all/most RK3399. Else I'd have a ton of people trying it and complain it's not working. 
I do expect this video to do well. Many people really want this. In the mean time I'm learning more about the media script. 

Watched a movie last night. With MPV and GST it wasn't perfect. Very slight stutter. With kodi it was perfect. 

So managed to make desktop legacy build (4.4gb in size btw)

It does have wifi and bt working out of the box and glad to report the following:

After update&upgrade device wouldn't boot back, showed same behavior blinking white led with no display as when i tried running script on newer version of armbian 

Because im curios decided to toggle alt+f1 and alt-f2 and what do you know was asked to log in and was able to startx 

Ran the media script and rebooted, now it didn't let me access tty1 or 2 after a few resets patience and pulling hdmi in and out 

Alt+Fx did the job again, logged in and started x manually.

Its clear the leaps in difference the script does, it still stuttered on 1080 in both chromium and firefox but guessing that 

not building on top of the server(minimal) image might have something to do + performance is clearly more lagy  then current armbian builds that feel so smooth on regular desktop flow

Still it feels like the Christmas miracle, while the 1080 played it looked beautiful = to desktop performance, did notice my fan never turned on though.

But after almost 3 years of collecting dust it might just be its time to shine 

with the current smoothness of newer builds and the tweaking of your current work on the graphics department this board will become a champion 

might even pick up a second device since some go as low as 60 bucks, this might become a gr8 desktop replacement device, lol might even give some away 

Thanks for your hard work man it really shows, last time i saw any decent improvement on teh rp64 was from MrFixIt 1 year ago,

since ill likely not post again recently Happy new year to u and the Team, hope u get to enjoy the new years:thumbup:

@JMCCI just tried the media script on a freshly build Buster Legacy for the M4V2. There seems to be a problem with video playback in Chromium. There's none, it crashes Chromium at the moment video should start to play.
Maybe you've changed something? I've been running it on P1 with the changes you had given and that still works as should.
Just that the colors aren't correct for pictures in chromium. The same with the M4V2 now.

1 hour ago, NicoD said:

crashes Chromium at the moment video should start to play

I tested the version from the Armbian repos in a freshly installed nanopc t4, and Chromium Youtube works normally. Maybe the problem was something different?

Also noticed that the image colors problem is not specific to the newer testing packages, but is also present with the ones in the repos. I located it as a Chromium configuration problem.

11 minutes ago, JMCC said:

I tested the version from the Armbian repos in a freshly installed nanopc t4, and Chromium Youtube works normally. Maybe the problem was something different?

I also tried again with a fresh install of the same image. This time it did play normal in Chromium. I've no idea why it was that unstable. To my knowledge I've done nothing differently.

I finished the video about the media script. 
I had a lot of troubles with youtube because I used a few seconds of southpark and I got age restriction 18 years. Youtube doesn't like Southpark clearly. 
Tried 3 times with different clips. In the end I cut it all out.. Thanks @JMCC for the awsome work. Without your scripts I wouldn't think of using an SBC as main desktop. 

Hi,

thanks for the Legacy Framework. I just tried it on a RockPro64 and Kodi works, with a good picture. But I cannot get Audio passthrough to work. Any suggestions? I get audio via HDMI, but only stero, no multichannel. In "old" libreelec installations HDMI was listed as audio device, now I only see "default" and pulseaudio analog. (maybe a missing compiler switch?)

Also it would be nice, if you add the hint to install "XFCE" via armbian config to your first post or add the required package as a prerequisite. A few days ago I tried the script on the "normal" legacy RockPro64 image and then gave it up. because SBC didn't boot anymore after I installed the packages.

11 hours ago, zeus24 said:

cannot get Audio passthrough to work.

What are the steps you follow in Libreelec to enable that feature?  Can you do the same in our Kodi?

You should test with a media file that works in Libreelec, and try to repeat the same procedure you.

Also, make sure you have installed the necessary codecs. Install the package "kodi-addons-full", restart, and then in Kodi go to My add-ons and check if there is some audio decoder you need to enable.

I just installed this on a fresh install of Armbian Buster Legacy (after installing the default desktop) on my RockPro64 and graphics acceleration doesn't seem to work.At least glxinfo still reports the graphics adapter being from "VMWare, Inc.", saying that it is not accelerated and throwing errors when running the command:

libGL error: unable to load driver: rockchip_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip
libGL error: unable to load driver: rockchip_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip

1 hour ago, MotoFckr9k said:

the graphics adapter being from "VMWare, Inc.",

The SoC only supports OpenGL-ES. You are testing OpenGL.

For OpenGL, we include a GLES-GL wrapper "gl4es" , but it is only installed as an optional dependency.

If you followed the instructions above, that is, adding the swtich "--install-recommends", the wrapper should be installed. Otherwise, it is not. You can also install it manually, with "apt install gl4es".

New release in the repos:

• Fixed Chromium showing images in indexed color, and other limitations.
  • Fixed OpenCL broken in last update
  • Improved X performance under glamor (by 100%, in gtkperf tests)
  • Fixed rkcamsrc plugin for using the ISP MIPI-CSI camera (ov5647 still needs some kernel work for rk3399).
  • Added the Rockchip RGA library (also enabled in the kernel).

vor 9 Stunden schrieb JMCC:

The SoC only supports OpenGL-ES. You are testing OpenGL.

For OpenGL, we include a GLES-GL wrapper "gl4es" , but it is only installed as an optional dependency.

If you followed the instructions above, that is, adding the swtich "--install-recommends", the wrapper should be installed. Otherwise, it is not. You can also install it manually, with "apt install gl4es".

So how do I test GLES if the mesa-utils don't support it? What are you using to verify that GLES works?