RK3399 Legacy Multimedia Framework

JMCC

17 17

UPDATE  : just checked inside armbian-config there "enable desktop environment" was disabled (don't know why this happened, before updating/upgrading this fresh installation desktop was all good and running)... So I just "enabled desktop environment" Again... Rebooted... And was back in DE... 

BUT one more observation/issue came up even before this update/upgrade....when I first installed this image I plugged in a "Dell" Wireless mouse/Keyboard pair (WIRELESS Kb/mouse receiver dongle inserted in USB2).. strange thing is happening now... It's all ok if I only use mouse BUT the moment I punch in few keys using the keyboard the system just suddenly halts.. I further investigated this by plugging in a USB/SERIAL cable.. I observed that the moment this keyboard activity/system halt happens the terminal throws up some messages which seems to be some "sleep" /PMIC  related and also some "exceptions" are reported.... Picture of those messages are attached. 

IMG_20210803_084612.jpg

Donate and support the project!

4 hours ago, ATK said:

UPDATE  : just checked inside armbian-config there "enable desktop environment" was disabled (don't know why this happened, before updating/upgrading this fresh installation desktop was all good and running)... So I just "enabled desktop environment" Again... Rebooted... And was back in DE... 

BUT one more observation/issue came up even before this update/upgrade....when I first installed this image I plugged in a "Dell" Wireless mouse/Keyboard pair (WIRELESS Kb/mouse receiver dongle inserted in USB2).. strange thing is happening now... It's all ok if I only use mouse BUT the moment I punch in few keys using the keyboard the system just suddenly halts.. I further investigated this by plugging in a USB/SERIAL cable.. I observed that the moment this keyboard activity/system halt happens the terminal throws up some messages which seems to be some "sleep" /PMIC  related and also some "exceptions" are reported.... Picture of those messages are attached. 

IMG_20210803_084612.jpg

I'm not sure how this issue can be related to the multimedia framework. Please post armbianmonitor -u

I finally moved the installation from SD card to eMMC (using NAND SATA Install script)and after that no problem experienced BUT F.Y.I below I am sharing Armbianmonitor output for both condition (when OS was on SD card and later when the OS was on eMMC) .

Armbianmonitor output  (OS on SD card)>>   http://ix.io/3uY1

Armbianmonitor output  (OS on eMMC)>>   http://ix.io/3uYa

Please also suggest which is the best scheme for CPU Governor  "On demand" or "Performance"  ?

@JMCC continuing testing

I tested the new KODI on a Nanopc T4 + 4k TV with 4k resolution. Everything works fine. When playing test videos to the full screen, which works in 4k mode (desktop resolution 3840x2160), the load on the processor is minimal, here is a fragment of monitoring. For those who want to try a new version of KODI on Nanopc T4, there is a link to Bullseye test images with a new core.  :)

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/oUSTsAI_oRCGMA

Time       big.LITTLE   load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq   CPU  C.St.
15:09:09:  408/1416MHz  1.43   8%   2%   3%   1%   0%   0% 50.6�°C  0/5
15:09:15:  600/ 600MHz  1.47   4%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:20:  408/ 600MHz  1.44   5%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:25:  600/ 408MHz  1.48   4%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:30:  408/ 600MHz  1.44   4%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:35:  408/ 408MHz  1.41   5%   1%   1%   0%   0%   1% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:40:  408/ 408MHz  1.45   5%   2%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:45:  408/ 600MHz  1.50   4%   2%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:51:  408/ 408MHz  1.54   4%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:09:56:  408/ 408MHz  1.60   4%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:10:01: 1800/ 600MHz  1.64   4%   2%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.6�°C  0/5
15:10:06:  408/ 408MHz  1.66   4%   2%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5
15:10:11: 1800/ 408MHz  1.61   4%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0% 50.0�°C  0/5

9 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

@JMCCWe kindly ask you not to add dependencies on specific kernels to future packages. New kernels with HW can be for RK \ AW and different versions of edge \ current.

Yes, that makes sense. As a matter of fact, the legacy Kodi packages don't have any kernel dependency, it is only the meta-package for the whole multimedia framework that depended on the legacy kernel. The reason for that was that, if installed on a different kernel, it would break the system. But Kodi won't break anything by itself, so no kernel dependencies this time, I promise :)

On 9/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, JMCC said:

Kodi won't break anything by itself, so no kernel dependencies this time

I am looking for an easy way to install Kodi on a headless server (Helios64 - rk3399). I am not using a legacy kernel but 5.10.43 and Armbian Bullseye.

The intention is just to stream videos and display pictures with Kodi to a DLNA enabled smart TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

On 10/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, ebin-dev said:

I am looking for an easy way to install Kodi on a headless server (Helios64 - rk3399). I am not using a legacy kernel but 5.10.43 and Armbian Bullseye.

The intention is just to stream videos and display pictures with Kodi to a DLNA enabled smart TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

As stated above, you can install the packages from this link: https://users.armbian.com/jmcc/packages/kodi-mainline/arm64/

I am planning to build Kodi 19 packages and integrate them into the Armbian repos, but no ETA yet.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:17 PM, JMCC said:

As stated above, you can install the packages from this link: https://users.armbian.com/jmcc/packages/kodi-mainline/arm64/

I am planning to build Kodi 19 packages and integrate them into the Armbian repos, but no ETA yet.

Thank you very much for the hint. Installation of the packages went smoothly on the headless server. After messing around with the configuration files guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml I could access the web interface on port 8080 and change the settings, configure some addons etc.

However, it would not appear to be possible to add a media library or addons using the web interface - the required functionality is not displayed. Is this a known limitation of the web interface or is this due to a mistake on my side ?  As there is no access to any other Kodi GUI on the headless server I am stuck at that point. 

I am looking forward to test Kodi 19 packages once you found some time to build them.

4 hours ago, ebin-dev said:

it would not appear to be possible to add a media library or addons using the web interface

No idea, I never did that. I guess you may be luckier in the Kodi forums.

However, if you are using Kodi as a headless server, I see no point in using my packages. The only benefit they have is HW accelerated video play, but you are not using Kodi to watch the videos, are you? If that is the case, then you may be better off using the standard distro packages, which may have some functionalities enabled that are not present in my packages (maybe, I don't know, I never used them).

22 hours ago, JMCC said:

However, if you are using Kodi as a headless server, I see no point in using my packages.

Actually I am currently just exploring. Using Kodi as a headless server to stream to DLNA enabled devices turned out to be suboptimal :-)) .

Meanwhile I switched to Plex on the server. For all clients (SmartTV, Computers and iOS Devices) a native Plex app is available for free (except for iOS - a one time fee of 4.99 Euros is required for each device) and I am astonished about the performance and professional look of the system. The installation is configured as non-accessible from the outside - nonetheless the media can be streamed to remote devices coupled to the home network via VPN. Setting up a client-server system with Plex is a "no-brainer". You just have to make sure that the required ports are not used by other servers (port 9090 was used by another media server in my case).

I would strongly recommend Plex if you wish to stream content from a (headless) server to various client devices in your home network.