Unable to boot Buster Legacy on NanoPi M4V2

NicoD

To try the new goodies I've tried to install Buster Legacy on my M4V2 but it always hung on

[---] A start job is running for Bluetooth Rockpi (many minutes / no limit)

image.thumb.png.3eba37b726e17da1fc198846da62cc14.png

https://redirect.armbian.com/region/EU/nanopim4v2/Buster_legacy_desktop
I downloaded it multiple times and no change. I'll try the mainline image and then regress kernel to legacy.

12 minutes ago, Igor said:

And mainline Focal works too. Such strange surprises are less likely, while on (dirty code) legacy kernels you never know.

I installed the desktop. Updated/upgraded and reboot, all fine.
Then switched to legacy kernel and no more boot. Just power LED, no blinking, no hdmi...
@JMCCI thought reading Buster was so stable :) I'll go back to Bionic for now. I'll try tomorrow on other RK3399's.
Without problems there would be no innovation

There seems to be a problem in general with RK3399 because I had similar issues with the Station P1.

With images I built from trunk with legacy kernel there is no hdmi and probably hanging boot. Could not verify due to lack of proper serial adapter.

Anyway these images worked for whatever reason: https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/firefly_station_p1/Armbian-legacy/

I assume @balbes150 added some magic which he did not commit to master yet (?)

Another day, another try. Tried the latest nightly Buster from 18 dec.
Installed desktop, worked fine...
...went to legacy kernel.

ERROR: Did not find a cmdline Flattened Device Tree
	Loading Ramdisk to f13f6000, end f1ef9556 ... OK
FDT and ATAGS support not compiled in - hanging
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

I did try kernel 4.4 21.02

13 hours ago, piter75 said:

This: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2480 should fix it.

If you can mount the target system run (in the mounted folder) to fix it:

sed -i s%BCM4345C5%BCM4356A2%g lib/systemd/system/rk3399-bluetooth.service

Doesn't work, the same picture of "A start job is running". I tried to fix (including "downloade") already booted CD card and afterwards freshly flashed as well - just in case :) 

Has anybody got successful install after fix?

What is interesting, my Bionic bluetooth started to work on boot and now I can see adapter in XFCE and even pair smartphone.

It still has "kernel lacks bnep-protocol support" and "System does not support network plugin" status alerts, but there is no initial "condition failed".

May be I applied fix to the root file system as well, not sure, if it initially had reference to BCM4345C5, "downloade" I fixed afterwards manually. 

Screenshot_2020-12-19_13-29-30.png

7 hours ago, Arvo said:

Doesn't work, the same picture of "A start job is running".

Ok, it needs one more change to fix the boot issue (besides working bluetooth).

Right now the service type is set to forking but the brcm_patchram_plus_rk3399 binary is not forking so systemd treats it as not successfully activated / activating.

Change Type to exec and it should be properly treated by systemd.

I adjusted it in the PR too: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2480/commits/92729573cea1aa786432e1dce42d641019e8bcd4

36 minutes ago, Arvo said:

Problem is fixed, installation finishes successfully.

Glad to hear that :)

21 hours ago, NicoD said:

Installed desktop, worked fine...
...went to legacy kernel.

The funny thing is that the kernel switching never worked for rk3399 family as it is a bit of a frankenstein...

After https://github.com/armbian/config/pull/127 is merged and published it should work as expected.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:19 AM, NicoD said:

I thought reading Buster was so stable

Haha, you know, crap happens. Upstream Buster is a super-stable distro (IMO the best Debian so far). The problem is with the Legacy kernel, it's a bit messy since there are so many different RK3399 boards, from different vendors with different configurations.

Problem was also present in NanoPC-T4. I confirm that building new images fixes the problem here too.

4 hours ago, JMCC said:

Haha, you know, crap happens.

Indeed it does, all the time. What would we be without it? Just an empty shell :)

4 hours ago, JMCC said:

Upstream Buster is a super-stable distro (IMO the best Debian so far).

I'm sorry but I'm going back to Bionic. I love the work you've done, certainly with Kodi. For people who want that, now Armbian Buster is their way to go. But I can't get Youtube to play as well as in Bionic. And for me that's one of the most important things.
I'm a Youtube addict. I used to be used to watching it without acceleration in Firefox with light screen tear. But having been used to how well it plays in Chromium in Bionic legacy I don't want to go back.
And my eMMC with Buster doesn't even want to boot anymore. No idea why. So my case was made for me.

Also watched a movie yesterday on the N2+. 1080p display res and 1080p video. All was well until the action started.(The Perfect Weapon)
You've made HW acc video so important to me. Thanks.

P.S.: I'll try recording my setup and I'll make a video about my full Bionic installation with media script. And then after than a short video on how to install the Buster media script. For Kodi + desktop that'll be the better setup. For desktop only I think Bionic is still the king.

2 hours ago, NicoD said:

I can't get Youtube to play as well as in Bionic

Did you try the MPV method described here? Perfect 4K, that's hard to beat!

2 hours ago, NicoD said:

For desktop only I think Bionic is still the king.

Maybe I will try to compile the older version of the X server I used in Bionic, and see whether the performance loss is caused by the X server or by different Chrome versions.

1 minute ago, JMCC said:

Did you try the MPV method described here? Perfect 4K, that's hard to beat!

No, my buster didn't boot anymore today. I had just red about this. I want to try.
My recording of installing bionic has failed, too bad image quality. New HDMI capture device and I'm learning to use it.
I'll try again with Buster on the Station P1.
I am happy to be back on Bionic with my M4V2. I'm so used to it, and I love smooth video playback in a browser.
Certainly to watch Belgian TV the Bionic Chromium version is best. 

I don't know what happened to my Buster installation. One day it worked, the other it didn't boot anymore. No hdmi, no flashing led... 
I hope it's not my eMMC since I used the same again. Tho this time only for the boot file.
Then again I hope it ain't an Armbian problem. Else it could destroy many others their setup.

I hope the downloadable images will soon be updated. They still can't boot. I've been using the archived images.

2 hours ago, NicoD said:

I hope the downloadable images will soon be updated. They still can't boot. I've been using the archived images.

In Buster legacy only one file shall be changed after image flashing to ensure successful boot (i.e. Bluetooth problem fix). Just mount flashed SD card and change file in three places like piter75 suggested in both commits: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2480/commits

Works like charm on just flashed and also already extended (unsuccesfully booted) installations.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:18 PM, piter75 said:

Ok, it needs one more change to fix the boot issue (besides working bluetooth).

Right now the service type is set to forking but the brcm_patchram_plus_rk3399 binary is not forking so systemd treats it as not successfully activated / activating.

Change Type to exec and it should be properly treated by systemd.

I adjusted it in the PR too: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2480/commits/92729573cea1aa786432e1dce42d641019e8bcd4

I can confirm it works in the latest nightly build on my NanoPi M4 (original)  Thanks!

[edit]

I was able to make the requested changes on an imaged SD card by using a live distro on a skanky old laptop.  Gotta love Linux.  But after it successfully booted, the bluetooth module got an error.  I don't care as I'm not using it.  I might have typed it incorrectly.  Something about "before starting patchram download.  Newer chips do not generate these two bytes."  I can get more info if anyone wants it.

Edited by Larry Matter
added more information