Firmware for Bluetooth Realtek rtl8761a

ygoe

Hello,

I've bought a USB Bluetooth adaptor on Amazon and wanted to try it on my Armbian device, an Orange Pi Zero. The installed system is Armbian Focal (Ubuntu). That adaptor seems to have the Realtek rtl8761a chip, according to the error message in syslog. The firmware could not be found. It should be included in the "firmware-realtek" package but that doesn't exist. I couldn't find anything else that provides that firmware.

That USB adaptor has an average rating, a second one I've also ordered has a better rating. Both have the same chip inside. Both don't work on a current Windows 10 because the unsigned driver from Realtek (to be downloaded from two different Chinese websites) crashes my computer (I really do mean crash, I had to unpower it). Both product descriptions only mention Windows compatibility, no Linux. But that doesn't say anything. So I thought I'd give them a last try on Linux before returning them.

Does anybody know where that firmware can be found?

If there's nothing available, what would be the recommended method to bring Bluetooth connectivity to a small Linux device? A different USB adaptor? A custom chip with an SPI interface? Nothing at all because Bluetooth doesn't work?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.