Reboot won't work on Buster Legacy (4.4.213-rockchip64)

NicoD

I don't know if it's of any use. Just noticed this issue of reboot not working on Buster legacy.
Seems to be hdmi related. When I pull out hdmi for a few seconds then it does start booting. I remember this used to be the same on bionic mainline. Don't know why it's here now.
I'm on NanoPi M4V2.

11 hours ago, NicoD said:

I don't know if it's of any use. Just noticed this issue of reboot not working on Buster legacy.
Seems to be hdmi related. When I pull out hdmi for a few seconds then it does start booting. I remember this used to be the same on bionic mainline. Don't know why it's here now.
I'm on NanoPi M4V2.

Hello there,

Thank you for your suggestion. Based on what said I tried to pull out the hdmi cable as a test but I don't think I got the timing right, since it didn't work (I did it as soon as the reboot messages showed). Anyway it would be impractical on a daily usage, considering that most of times that I need to reboot the board I'm doing it remotely, so that I won't be able to physically disconnect anything.

But it's at least something I can google about and try to find a little more.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, alsc said:
Armbianmonitor:

Hello,

I own a RockPro64 and I'm using Armbian Legacy Buster 4.4.213-rockchip64. Everything mostly works, although I've had a pretty annoying issue. Reboot just doesn't work.

Every time I do a 'sudo reboot' (or any equivalent for that matter, as for example 'sudo shutdown -r now') it doesn't work. Although it apparently reboots, the TV monitor to which my box it's connected via HDMI lose connection and all, nothing actually happens. Both the red and the white leds of the RP64 turn on and keep on all time (instead of just one of them blinking, as expected) and then it will work only if I poweroff and on again, either by unplugging the power cable or pushing the reset button. That's pretty annoying, since for obvious reasons I can't remotely reboot the machine...

I noticed that it only happens with the legacy kernels (I've tried Armbian and Ayufan, both have the exact same behavior). Current kernels work properly, but I really need, at least for now, keep using legacy (I'm trying to use the tool provided by the developer JMCC in order to use Kodi and it doesn't work on mainline so fat).

I've googled for a while for this specifc issue and used the search from this forum but found nothing.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Moved to new thread

Strange, just installed Buster legacy on M4V2+NVMe (system is not moved to NVMe) and  .... it reboots each time :) 

Sound is going over HDMI, network - over RJ45. Fan is controlled via bash script.

My diagnostics, if it can somehow help: http://ix.io/2IRc

I used smiling emoji, because my Bionic legacy installation never reboots properly. 

It shuts down and SBC green LED doesn't start to blink, only red is glowing. Keyboard illumination on reboot goes out, after some time lights up and that's it.

System is moved to NVMe, BTW.