CLI forced variants

jeyjey

Hi, I am an enthusiast of this distro. In this moment I would like to install only CLI version. I write here because I don't want to go off topic. I know that there is the compiler: another very big solution that bring me and attach me at this place! But I am very shure that I will not do the job so well AS Armbian definitively is in the images for the supported SBC. :D So. I can only deactivate the desktop environment interface or I can start to study hard to build my own Great Armbian CLI version. The problem is that I would have the more RAM free is possible to run another layer software as MINERS or Clusters management. Another reason that we could use the CLI version is the web server functions. The SBC normally are developed with only 1GB of ram  :wacko:  . Thanks to all.

armbin_pre_cluster.jpeg

@jeyjey For supported SBCs the easiest way to get minimal or server-only images of armbian is to setup a own armbian-buil-system

on a 64bit Ubuntu or a VM:
https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

with the armbian-build-system you will have a menu driven selection if you want to create a image for the type minimal, server or desktop

you can select between ubuntu and debian flavour of armbian and the version of ubuntu or debian...as long your SBC is supported by armbian.

Hi. I searched for a topic to talk about it in. There is a good documentation about the self building Armbian. But I am a novice and I do not understand some recommandations.

In the must things there is a reccomandation: "running natively on a dedicated PC or a server (not recommended)".

I think that: the builder is an application that produces a SD image to burn in a card.

For this reason I think to install the compiler to produce an image for each my SBcomputers.

I normally use virtualBox, but I don't understand why I have to build up images in a VM.

22 minutes ago, jeyjey said:

I don't understand why I have to build up images in a VM

You don't need to. You can run it natively on almost any Linux, just to avoid troubles and extra fixing, use recommended way ... You can run it under Docker, but running natively on Windows ... not supported. That's why you need VM. Also for security reasons. Script needs superuser privileges.

27 minutes ago, jeyjey said:

But I am a novice

Build system is easy to use, but it is not possible to master it in one day ;) Takes some time.

Ah, sorry. I am a linux user I don't use windows. My son does for games only. So I read that I can start the pratice to leard how create SD card with Armbian by myself? Ok? With my LinuxMint. Ok? I don't need VM. And I will do for the next CLUSTER. Thanks Igor.

Hi friends. It is not needed anymore. Infact after the first boot I found the CLI version directly!! It is beautifull. By the command: sudo armbian-config, I made the job!!! I installed the wi-fi settings, the italian keyboard and go!!! I don't need desktop software because I would try to create a Cluster over the Armbian layer on four SBC connected in a box!! Thanks! I  love thus way to do: CLI and then if needed Desktop!!!! :beer:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.