Bluetooth not working on Nanopi K2 S905

Xavier31

Hi,

I recently installed a fresh Armbian and did some tests. I noticed two major problems:

• Video is not accelerated: it is absolutely unusable with kodi
  • Bluetooth seems absent (missing from DTB? other reason?)

Please find below execution outputs of some commands:

root@nanopik2-s905:~$ cat /etc/armbian-release 
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=nanopik2-s905
BOARD_NAME="NanoPi K2"
BOARDFAMILY=meson-gxbb
BUILD_REPOSITORY_URL=https://github.com/armbian/build
BUILD_REPOSITORY_COMMIT=b9814056
DISTRIBUTION_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIBUTION_STATUS=supported
VERSION=20.11.3
LINUXFAMILY=meson64
BRANCH=current
ARCH=arm64
IMAGE_TYPE=stable
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm64
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image
root@nanopik2-s905:~$ 
root@nanopik2-s905:~$ hciconfig
root@nanopik2-s905:~$ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

Is there any people with same problem on their boards?

Any idea on how to fix bluetooth feature? I read all 7 pages but I did not find anything useful to solve my problem.

Another information, I boot original image from friendlyarm and bluetooth is up and running so my board is physically good.

I just test this: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/20461-libreelec-9-0-2-for-nanopi-k2/

Bluetooth is working fine: I successfully paired my device with Nanopi K2 embedded BT.
Video is accelerated with mali.ko

Sadly, LibreELEC purpose is just to execute Kodi: it is not a full feature OS.

So, what's wrong with Armbian? Am I missing something to configure? Is it a known bug?

8 hours ago, Xavier31 said:

I boot original image from friendlyarm and bluetooth is up and running so my board is physically good

Initial software support shows what device can, but software is not maintained. Its 5+ years old buggy private kernel full of smelly code which was never updated since 2016? We only provide modern and open source routines, which are possible to build from sources with / around modern kernel.

8 hours ago, Xavier31 said:
  • Video is not accelerated: it is absolutely unusable with kodi
  • Bluetooth seems absent (missing from DTB? other reason?)

If you want that modern kernel and all functions working, you need to develop / port them (they mainly are for this old hardware) but then it requires constant maintenance (which costs hard cash or someones donation) or device starts to break down. Currently (kernel 5.10.y which we plan to upgrade soon) we have a broken Ethernet on this device and I already wasted few hours today trying to fix it while I should rather play with kids. I will try again next year :) Bluetooth? Video acceleration? Probably both is fixable but requires time we don't have. There are always lots of more critical and important problems on the list and we receive way way too little help to get all done. Even for most basic problems there is very little interest https://forum.armbian.com/forum/54-help-wanted/ "You" just want that everything works superb ...

First many thanks for your reply.

I can understand resource problems you mentioned.
That's why I tried to help me alone during several days as a lot of people do. My initial problem was accelerated video. A little bit later I discovered BT issue. I was thinking BT will be easier to solve but hard enough for low experienced ARM people like me.
I'm software developer and I tried to build Mali driver from official open sources with recent kernel found in Armbian.
I quickly understand that Mali sources are not ready for such recent kernel. A lot of kernel refactoring like: timespec, Y2K38 bug, and more cause Mali sources unable to build. I fixed some Mali code to progress but I need to fix more stuff to obtain a mali.ko fully functional.

ARM world is a new world for me: I have a lot to understand to progress. DTB and so on...

If you have any recommendations (tuto, docs, ...) to help to progress as quick as possible, don't hesitate to give me some URLs ;)

3 minutes ago, Xavier31 said:

That's why I tried to help me alone during several days as a lot of people do. My initial problem was accelerated video.

Alone you can do nothing in this world. Which is why we keep or make some stream of operations. Some things are pointless to work on - like dealing with 6 years old private kernel fork - even that would be the only source of working video acceleration. Open source community is working hard to come out with open source routines which can stay and live with the kernel. Those - from private kernel are usually closed and can't live with the kernel. That is the essential problem.

6 minutes ago, Xavier31 said:

I was thinking BT will be easier to solve but hard enough for low experienced ARM people like me.

Bluetooth is universal. Unrelated to ARM. Fixing it requires time and some know-how. Or many of both.

8 minutes ago, Xavier31 said:

I'm software developer

Its also beneficial if you help the project that could / can help solve your problem. If you only want to fix Bluetooth on this board, you might waste 10  or 50x more then someone that has already done something similar. But such people also need to sleep and eat and perhaps don't know nothing about your speciality, but they need it ...

10 minutes ago, Xavier31 said:

and I tried to build Mali driver from official open sources with recent kernel found in Armbian.

Ain't that simple :) AFAIK Mali is supported out of the box by using open source driver http://linux-meson.com/doku.php#kernel_mainlining_progress But Mali doesn't decode you video. It only renders menus in KODI and makes games runs faster - 3D acceleration. What you need is http://linux-meson.com/doku.php#what_about_multimedia_support

14 minutes ago, Xavier31 said:

ARM world is a new world for me: I have a lot to understand to progress. DTB and so on...

Its a lot to learn - if you want to do that, you will never be bored.

15 minutes ago, Xavier31 said:

If you have any recommendations (tuto, docs, ...) to help to progress as quick as possible, don't hesitate to give me some URLs

Area is wide but for start and for special things - this forum is a goldmine: https://forum.armbian.com/search When you know it all, we'll find you more :)