Blind OrangePi Zero+ -- Network

jeyjey

Hi. I would pre-configure a board in a SBC small lan. The board is blind and I have not the cable to config it from outside, i have to config it by txt file to get it online in the lan at the startup. Firt of all I have to write the ip plan of the SBC LAN. I configured one of them (the first) in the lan by a text file called "interfaces" stored in the etc/network. The file contains there few rows:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
# Network is managed by Network manager
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Rete Lan
auto eth0  
iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.1.11
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.1.0
 gateway 192.168.1.10   

# Scheda primaria Wi-fi
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
# wpa-ssid the_name_of_the_sid
# wpa-psk my_password

The first board is configured and it should run with its ip. I have installed PUTTY in that board and I am ready to connect the board to the Orangepi Zero, the blind one That is on the lan.

For the blind SBC Orangepi Zero i prepared the follow file. I would like to hear from you about this configuration.

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
# Network is managed by Network manager
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Rete Lan
auto eth0  
iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.1.10
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.1.0
 gateway 192.168.1.10   

# Scheda primaria Wi-fi
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid the_name_of_the_sid
wpa-psk my_password

I expect that the lan in the boot moment wil be populated by the first SBC with lan ip 192.168.1.11 and the blind OrangepiZero with 192.168.1.10. I expect that the blind board will do the normal Armbian boot process.

I will start putty from the 11 to connect it to the 10 one. Is it right? I am not interested in DHCP because the ZERO SBC will share its wi-fi connection with others.

Many thanks!!

Hi did someone made a SBC router with ARMBIAN? It is a little hard to find in the search engine of this forum because there are some extra link in the results. Do you know some tutorials to configura a network by command line? I don't use Network Manager. I use static IP table. Thanks.

8 hours ago, jeyjey said:

Hi did someone made a SBC router with ARMBIAN? It is a little hard to find in the search engine of this forum because there are some extra link in the results. Do you know some tutorials to configura a network by command line? I don't use Network Manager. I use static IP table. Thanks.

I am not sure your message is posted in the right topic ...

You could as well ask this on any linux forum. But for the basics, did you do :

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Provided that you have correctly configured interfaces, your system turns into a router ... for the connected LANS. Then if you want more, you must understand routing tables, netmasks, routing protocols, ICMP, NAT ...

For personal basic usage, a default route (route add default gw <ip-addr> )

- to "the box" in router config

- to "the router" for clients config AND in "the box" config (on respective interface LAN).

may do the trick.

Hello. Thanks for the reply. My project is create a cluster with some little SBC. I would do that using ONLY Armbian. Since this I hoped to have here the information and I hoped to write here a kind of tutorial/guida for others. I know that there are forums. In Italy there is a big Ubuntu community where I am writing. For SBC I think that Armbian Command Line is the distro I prefere. For SBC I am searching the littlest one. Expecially the Zero+ is good for connecting the cluster to internet. It has 4 cores to route packets and it has the right network chip and the antenna. I suppouse that, in this place, it should be somewhere a tutorial to build a router with SBC but I don't know where because this forum is an informations galaxy! Many thanks.

7 hours ago, jeyjey said:

Hello. Thanks for the reply. My project is create a cluster with some little SBC. I would do that using ONLY Armbian. Since this I hoped to have here the information and I hoped to write here a kind of tutorial/guida for others. I know that there are forums. In Italy there is a big Ubuntu community where I am writing. For SBC I think that Armbian Command Line is the distro I prefere. For SBC I am searching the littlest one. Expecially the Zero+ is good for connecting the cluster to internet. It has 4 cores to route packets and it has the right network chip and the antenna. I suppouse that, in this place, it should be somewhere a tutorial to build a router with SBC but I don't know where because this forum is an informations galaxy! Many thanks.

Networking is a subject as wide as operating systems. "Router" is a widely used term for different solutions and methods. (You may notice that in IP terminology, the term for layer 3 IP forwarding is "gateway").

Everyone has his own needs. For Internet access, my own concern is about security, firewall and proxy.

Armbian developers are mainly struggling to integrate reliable drivers for Ethernet or Wifi. If you are happy with orangepi-zero drivers, that is good news. (I will need to choose an SBC in order to upgrade my own "router"). After that, you can install a lot of tools on your system. But a "tutorial" is a bit vague, because there is no limit in what you could want to do. An comprehensive answer would be a derived distribution built upon Armbian.

For command line usage, I approve you, because network configuration is more like programming than like parameterizing, but almost most users want "plug and play" solutions. If they had a look with a protocol analyser at what transit on their network (and should not), they may change their mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.