Cloning EMMC-booting PCplus

OldBikerPete

NOTE: Despite similar topic names, a search did not find a topic which even remotely  addressed my topic on this site.

I have an OrangePi Pcplus on which I have successfully transferred my working system from SD card to the on-board EMMC.

Now, on the assumption that the EMMC may eventually become corrupted or the board dies. (Hey, __it happens!) I need to

create, from the currently running system,  an SD card which I can plug into a brand new Orange Pi PCplus and have it boot

from that card the system I was was running on the old board at the time I made the backup - which I can then transfer to

the new board's EMMC.  Obviously, this same SD card image would be very useful for making multiple systems.
    At present, the only VERY UNSATISFACTORY procedure that seems to be available is to tar the entire EMMC, make an SD

card from the same image I originally used to build the original system and untar the whole lot over the top which may or

may not work at all, I haven't tried that and I am very skeptical that it would work without a lot of editing.

Can anyone shed some (lucid) light on this problem?

Peter.

3 hours ago, OldBikerPete said:

Can anyone shed some (lucid) light on this problem?

Three things that matters:

- tar of filesystem is just fine

- you need to adjust UUID in /boot/armbianEnv.txt on a new system

- transfer boot loader

Or you want that Armbian developers also finance development of SATISFACTORY backup and restore applications that will cover this job for you? Well, you can also do that. 

1 hour ago, OldBikerPete said:

very capable multi-purpose backup program suites already exist for Linux

I am well aware of that, but they lack key elements, otherwise you would use it.

this particular backup problem is too deep in the bits and bytes - especially given the clues you have given me.

Actually not, but I don't know your background so I don't know how deep I need to go. I can't explain everything everytime.

that worked for me.

We always try to look how to make things for our common good. Usually the same amount of work is needed. Your method will work for most of the Allwinner boards, but not elsewhere since each hw looks for boot bits elsewhere.

Each of our bootloader package contains two things defined in a standard way:

- binary or binaries needed for boot

- a method of flashing

This is a good ground to make a general backup solution, a plugin for existing, ... 

Just a suggestion that may save others from suffering from this problem in the first place.

I have been developing a garden watering system for my family's households. It consists of an 'engine' written in 'C' which uses the Wiring OP library to turn on valves and is programmed using text configuration files. These files are created. modified and managed by a web server using python scripts. The web server is accessed using any web browser such as on a smart phone via WiFi.  A major design goal achieved has been that the smartphone or other device does not require assist software such as javascript.

I made the mistake of moving the system under development from the SD card onto the EMMC early on, then continuing development.  DON'T DO THIS.   Save moving the system until a stable system is ready for deployment, it's much easier to back up an SD card.

I haven't tackled updating an EMMC memory with a later version yet, that is an adventure yet to be enjoyed(?).

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.