Question with Orange Pi +2E create sdcard

paul75

Hello

I want to do a special sdcard to my use of multiple card without reconfigure all the time.

If I install into a 4gb sdcard after can I write a iso and copy to another sdcard and write to 128gb and when can I resize it into the new card?

The minimum size of sdcard is 2gb or 4gb to do use desktop environment?

@paul75

so you want a basic install on a small sized SD card (2/4GB) then move it to another one larger SD card of 128GB, don't you? (just to make sure I understand you well)

it is a option.

So you don't intend to use the 16GB faster MMC on the OPi+2E board? pretty much faster for the system (more number of I/O than a SD card).

I can only give you general pieces of advices:

- using dd to create an image. Insert your OPi+2E system SD card on a linux laptop, then do: dd if=/dev/sdX of=OPi2E_system_20160725.bin

- also don't forget to generate checksum or hash with md5sum (or sha1sum) for the OPi2E_system_20160725.bin file and keep along the file OPi2E_system_20160725.bin.md5 with the ISO

- note: the "ISO" image will save the boot loader for the system

- doing rsync for some partitions/directory you really need to save data (without making a new "ISO" image each time) as ISO can take much HDD or SD card space (rsync let you sync your directories "live" compared to ISO which requires to stop the system)

example (first rsync saves the root file system, note: the SDcard has one single partition, then the /home/gr is a link to SSD /home2/gr, so I save the data of /home2/gr):

#!/bin/bash
sudo rsync --progress -auvr $1 --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/run --exclude=/dev --exclude=/home2 --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/media / /media/usbkey/p1/
cd /home2/gr
sudo rsync --progress -auvr $1 --exclude=HUGE --exclude=.cache --exclude=.ccache . /media/usbkey/p1/home2/gr

note: /media/usbkey/p1/ is an arbitrary directory mount, it can be a SD card, USB key, USB HDD, network NAS connexion

- if you have samba/cifs network shares, you can do your backup on a NAS. you can create special directories on the NAS to create your "ISO" images or doing your rsync. Then you can unmount.

example:

#!/bin/bash
sudo mount  --verbose -t cifs -o user=myusername,password=mypassword,cifsacl,sfu,uid=myusername,cache=none //192.168.x.x/nas /media/nas/

then use /media/nas/my_OPI2E_save to create your "ISO" images with .md5 checksum and your daily/weekly rsync'ed directories

I want to do a special sdcard to my use of multiple card without reconfigure all the time.

I don't exactly understand this part, you may need to explain what you are trying to achieve.

If I install into a 4gb sdcard after can I write a iso and copy to another sdcard and write to 128gb and when can I resize it into the new card?

Since you are talking about desktop images, just copy smaller card contents to bigger card with dd and use gparted (while running system from old card) to extend the partition on new card to full size.

The minimum size of sdcard is 2gb or 4gb to do use desktop environment?

Self-made image may fit on 2GB card if made with right options, but I won't recommend running system from either 2 or 4 GB cards since older and smaller cards usually have too low performance for desktop usage.

Thanks for reply.

I want to do a sdcard writh a system ready to install on card for the new future client. With the card I do a iso and after only I copy to a new card and insert into the new orange pi...