What is your network transfer speed? Any tips to increase it?

NicoD

Hi all. 
I've always been using the OPi+ as NAS. That gets me up to 13MB/s.
More than enough for me. All that is on it are backups, movies and mp3's. It's only got 100Mbps ethernet. And the attached storage devices can't do a lot more either. A USB2 external HDD and a 2.5" HDD. 
I once tried the same with my OPi+2 and didn't see any changes in network transfer rates. Didn't mind, because I was happy with it. 

Now I've got the Odroid HC4. Both sata HDDs get +100MB/s read and write. But my network transfer speed is again 13MB/s. 
I'm using a Gbit router with 5Ghz wifi and the 5Ghz wifi on M4V2. 
Also OMV on Buster mainline on the HC4 with smb share. 

For me it's again fast enough for what I need it. That's to share my retro games over the network to use with TwisterOS Armbian. 
I was wondering if anyone has faster transfer speeds, and how I could improve mine. I've got no clue. 

Maybe the router has some eco mode and falls back to 100mbit? check all connected devices if they have proper 1000mbit uplink. Try ethtool  for that.

14 minutes ago, NicoD said:

wifi 

Tried with raw copper? I try to minimize using WiFi as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, Werner said:

Try ethtool  for that.

nicod@odroidhc4:~$ sudo ethtool eth0 | grep Speed
	Speed: 1000Mb/s

9 minutes ago, Werner said:

Tried with raw copper? I try to minimize using WiFi as much as possible.

I don't have a cable where I work. I'm not allowed to drill a hole for it. 5Ghz wifi should perform a bit better than Gbit ethernet. 1300 Mbps vs 1000 Mbps.

13 часов назад, NicoD сказал:

I don't have a cable where I work. I'm not allowed to drill a hole for it.

Devices that you connect in the same room  ? Wifi is an evil that can only be used for mobile devices, which in principle cannot use a cable (LAN). You ruin your health and the health of others. Now there are a lot of idiots who are too lazy to lay a cable and they stupidly use WiFi shit.

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Wifi is an evil that can only be used for mobile devices,

So if I put wheels under it, it will work better? :unsure:
Just joking.
At least I'm not such an idiot using a smart-phone the whole day :) But that's a topic we could argue a lifetime about.
I did "order" a 2nd Gbit router months ago with very long cables. To use as access point. The guy must install it himself. But since we're in lockdown it is still going to take a few months before it happens. Yes, I know I could do it myself, but I can't go and get it with my bike in mid winter. 
Just curious, what is the transfer speeds you guys reach? 

On 1/13/2021 at 1:45 PM, NicoD said:

Now I've got the Odroid HC4. Both sata HDDs get +100MB/s read and write. But my network transfer speed is again 13MB/s. 
I'm using a Gbit router with 5Ghz wifi and the 5Ghz wifi on M4V2. 
Also OMV on Buster mainline on the HC4 with smb share. 

For me it's again fast enough for what I need it. That's to share my retro games over the network to use with TwisterOS Armbian. 
I was wondering if anyone has faster transfer speeds, and how I could improve mine. I've got no clue

How are measuring transfer speed?

How are you transferring.  Also lots of small files (like retro games)   typically have terrible transfer.

34 minutes ago, lanefu said:

How are measuring transfer speed?

How are you transferring.  Also lots of small files (like retro games)   typically have terrible transfer.

I used large video files and iso's of multiple GB. Using the desktop with default file manager. After a few seconds it shows at what rate it transfers.
No idea where the bottleneck is. 
I want to try if I connect the HC4 with 5Ghz wifi if it then is faster. And with both devices connected to my router with cable.
But haven't gotten to it. Too little time for too much to do. 

There is a tool called iperf that can run in server and client mode.

To debug WiFi transfer speed it might be good to setup the server connected via cable to the access point and the client on a laptop and walk around while transferring to see how the speed differs by location.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.