OS not able to connect to internet after update & upgrade

armvsdeb

orangepiplus2e: 

I have been using an OS that i downloaded in the usa. Now I am in ukraine and after i do an update & upgrade, which does run through, the OS tries to connect to the internet, but fails; the page tries to open, but all i see are a few lines of the internet homepage i connected to. So, it does go to the page, but won't open it. I have tried multiple times using different url's. 

During the update, the OS upgrades to the current version, Buster 10.7. 

I downloaded a new OS from both "usa" & "europe", but upon trying to install it, i got a "ua" keyboard screen message for both usa&europe, and i had to choose an "ru" or "uk" locale, etc, and after going through the steps, it didn't open to the desktop; i got something like: ""root@xyz" login#". When i restart and redo it, it just creates a 2nd username account. 

I need a usa OS that updates & upgrades.

Thanks. 

Edited by armvsdeb

3 hours ago, armvsdeb said:

I have been using an OS that i downloaded in the usa. Now I am in ukraine and after i do an update & upgrade, which does run through, the OS tries to connect to the internet, but fails; the page tries to open, but all i see are a few lines of the internet homepage i connected to. So, it does go to the page, but won't open it. I have tried multiple times using different url's. 

Without logs its hard to tell what happens. Connect serial console, HDMI console, connect to interrnet via wireless and run armbianmonitor -u Armbian use Network Manager to config networking and its pretty easy to use. 

During the update, the OS upgrades to the current version, Buster 10.7

So far those upgrades didn't make troubles. They are usually minor, but upgrades from Stretch to Buster could be troublesome.

My orangepiplus2e test device is running Ubuntu based Armbian, so its not completely the same, but it performs as expected http://ix.io/2Mba

Initial locales are set based on your location. Keyboard is added, not replaced, so its not harm. Language is set only for user, while root remains as is. If you didn't set the user at initial setup, desktop will not be enabled. That is expected - we don't allow running desktop under root since many apps will anyway refuse to work.

I need a usa OS that updates & upgrades.

We need to see logs or we can't help. I have no clue without what is happening. Even with logs is sometimes hard to determine what is going on.

I was downloading the server OS. Now i downloaded the desktop and it works, but....

When the desktop boots, it gives me a russian layout (words, etc). I tried using both of the locales (uk & ru), but both gave same result. I also tried bypassing it, but it didn't allow me to. 

If it has only 'added' an extra layout, how do i choose the english version since it boots directly into the russian version and doesn't give me any options?

Thanks. 

Thanks.

"LOADING ENVIRONMENT FROM EXT4: FILE NOT FOUND --- "/BOOT/BOOT.env"

I installed Focal OS's and it went into english, but upon restarting the desktop, it wouldn't restart; I tried with and without internet connection. For Buster, i have not had success; don't even recall at this point what happened after so many tries in different ways... 

But the one thing that IS consistent with all of the downloaded OS's, is the error message above. I see this at the beginning of each boot-up.  As far as the downloaded desktop from a few years ago, i don't recall if this 'file not found' error message applies to that; i will have to follow-up with that info. 

As a side note, for the downloaded desktop OS's, i did 'not' try updating / upgrading and then run into the problems. The problems stemmed from the direct, unmodified download/desktop. 

Here is the log site for the OS i am using now to connect to the internet. It is the old OS, like 10.0, i think, from a few years ago. It works fine except that if i update/upgrade, it will no longer connect to the internet, though it does fully boot-up, unlike Focal, which would try to boot up, and then i would just get a blank screen.  http://ix.io/2MBq.

Since Focal will not boot up, i will have to redo Focal and get the log printout before restarting the desktop for Focal. However, i can only post here 1x per day which means i will have to wait 24 hours to post the results, unless Igor will remove that restriction for a day. 

HOWEVER........ the output log at this site does 'not' make any sense. At the top it states "raspberry pi". I have 2 Orangepi boards, plus2e, and 'zero' raspberry pi boards, so i don't know why it is showing rasp-pi in the output. 

So i ran it again in a new terminal and got what seems like a very different output: http://ix.io/2MBv

Would really like to fix this sooner rather than later. 

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 hour ago, armvsdeb said:

is the error message above.

Safe to ignore. Since you didn't save environment from u-boot, it can't be loaded. I know its confusing, but those are u-boot defaults.

1 hour ago, armvsdeb said:

and then i would just get a blank screen

We noticed this problem and are working on it. Why this happens and if your problem is related ... don't know at this moment. 

Try previous image from "archive", at the bottom of the board download page.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.