Allwinner H6

balbes150

Thanks - we use your H6 images extensively.  I don't see the script to install to EMMC.  Has it moved and if it has been removed, is there any way to recover this capability?  Happy to cover your time if that will help.  Thank you!

11 часов назад, MBB сказал:

Thanks - we use your H6 images extensively.  I don't see the script to install to EMMC.  Has it moved and if it has been removed, is there any way to recover this capability?  Happy to cover your time if that will help.  Thank you!

In theory, the standard installation procedure via armbian-config should work, but I haven't checked how it works yet, errors are possible.

The armbian-config install (nand-sata-install) script gives 2 options.  The first is "Boot from EMMC - system on EMMC".  This appears to work in that it it completes and says "finished", however, device won't boot (booting from SD still works).  The second option is to install/update the bootloader, but that says it will "update the bootloader on" with no target.  It also confirms it is "done", but the device won't boot. Not sure if these issues are related.  The log doesn't tell me much:

Mon 01 Mar 2021 01:26:16 PM PST: Start nand-sata-install.

Old UUID:  UUID=b5ef653e-8285-4293-bd25-9a893ab02f55
SD UUID:   UUID=d5f8ad1d-bd89-46d5-b0fe-2972ac883f5b
UUID=b5ef653e-8285-4293-bd25-9a893ab02f55
SATA UUID: UUID=d5f8ad1d-bd89-46d5-b0fe-2972ac883f5b
eMMC UUID: UUID=d5f8ad1d-bd89-46d5-b0fe-2972ac883f5b ext4
Boot: $1 /dev/mmcblk0p1 ext4
Root: $2 /dev/mmcblk0p1 
Usage: 1275
Dest: 13765

/etc/fstab:
UUID=b5ef653e-8285-4293-bd25-9a893ab02f55 / ext4 defaults,noatime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro 0 1
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,nosuid 0 0

/etc/mtab:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/nand-sata-install.tmTGuY/bootfs ext4 rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/nand-sata-install.tmTGuY/rootfs ext4 rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/mmcblk1p1 / ext4 rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,commit=600 0 0
/dev/mmcblk1p1 /var/log.hdd ext4 rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,commit=600 0 0
/dev/zram1 /var/log ext4 rw,relatime,discard 0 0

Files currently open for writing:
dhclient   575            root    7w   REG  179,1      883   720 /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases

Trying to stop running services to minimize open files:
Stopping cron.service 

Checking again for open files:

Copying 43067 files to /dev/mmcblk0p1. Finishing full install to eMMC.

Checking again for open files:

Mon 01 Mar 2021 01:28:01 PM PST: Finished

Screenshot from 2021-03-01 13-45-26.png

The new version 20210303.

Fixed installation in eMMC.

I checked on TX6, the installation in eMMC works correctly (I selected the first line in the menu), the system starts normally from eMMC. But I don't guarantee that it will work correctly on other models.

17 часов назад, P.P.A. сказал:

Is there an overview of additional features included in these builds, or are they equivalent to the latest Armbian releases for H6 SBCs, just for TV boxes?

ArmbianTV is an extended version of the official Armbian.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:49 AM, balbes150 said:

The new version 20210303.

Fixed installation in eMMC.

I checked on TX6, the installation in eMMC works correctly (I selected the first line in the menu), the system starts normally from eMMC. But I don't guarantee that it will work correctly on other models.

I am pleased to report the 20210303 images (I tested Focal) work great (copying to EMMC using standard Armbian method) on the T95 Mini box.  FYI, this is my favorite TV box as it is small, has a nice enclosure and good thermal properties (CPU usually around 50-55 degrees).  And it is available < $20 (USD) on Alibaba in small quantities.

t95-mini.png

I can also report that the "Q+" model works as well ("works" as always means w/o WiFi, Bluetooth).  This is another model worth considering, although in my experience it runs hotter.  All these boxes are best used as a small server as @SteeMan suggests.  But for that purpose and for the reasons he states (price, EMMC flash, case), they are excellent.  I have tried several AMLogic (before they were dropped) and RockChip models in the past, but was never able to get them to work, at least not easily.  So, if you are looking for a small server box that just "works", I would highly recommend that you save yourself considerable grief and get/use one of these H6 models (before buying, confirm that they use EMMC and not NAND! - I had one batch I bought on Amazon that was NAND - all the ones on Alibaba have been EMMC).  The models I have tested are the TX6, T95 Mini (and Max), and Q+.  They are completely interchangeable and use the same images that @Balbes150 posts here.

Q-Plus.png

5 часов назад, MBB сказал:

although in my experience it runs hotter

On the TX6, I removed the bottom cover of the case and use this model upside down (so that the radiator looks up and has a good run for air movement). I do not know what kind of idiot designs TV boxes in China, they put the board in the case with the radiator down, this is complete idiocy. Apparently, these "engineers" did not go to school and do not know the laws of physics at all - hot air always moves up (if there is no fan). Therefore, with passive cooling (without forced air supply from the fan), it is necessary to place the radiator so that the air passes to it as best as possible and the heated air freely goes up.

That is one reason I like the T95 Mini.  The CPU is on the top of the PCB and the heat sink makes contact with the top of the housing via a thermal pad.  Plastic isn't the best radiator, but it is slightly improved by the texture on the top of the case which increases surface area.  So no need to modify anything, it stays pretty cool out-of-the-box.  It ran far cooler than any of the other models I tested.  I have purchased over 50 of these so far, and no failures.  Having said that, I'd love to try the Station M1 you are working with.  But, it seems the quantity they have in stock is generally low and pricing is 3x higher.  Have reached out for a volume quote, but got no reply.  Might be due to the general chip shortage in the industry right now... :-(  But if you know how to reach them, feel free to message me directly as the T95 is late in its life (for a TV Box) and I am not sure how long it will be available.

7 часов назад, MBB сказал:

That is one reason I like the T95 Mini.  The CPU is on the top of the PCB and the heat sink makes contact with the top of the housing via a thermal pad.  Plastic isn't the best radiator, but it is slightly improved by the texture on the top of the case which increases surface area.  So no need to modify anything, it stays pretty cool out-of-the-box.  It ran far cooler than any of the other models I tested.  I have purchased over 50 of these so far, and no failures.  Having said that, I'd love to try the Station M1 you are working with.  But, it seems the quantity they have in stock is generally low and pricing is 3x higher.  Have reached out for a volume quote, but got no reply.  Might be due to the general chip shortage in the industry right now... :-(  But if you know how to reach them, feel free to message me directly as the T95 is late in its life (for a TV Box) and I am not sure how long it will be available.

If you don't need the case and you are ready to add a radiator yourself, you can look at the clean board that is used in the M1. I gave your information to Firefly representatives.

https://www.firefly.store/goods.php?id=99

8 hours ago, MBB said:

Hi, you can contact me for Staiton M1 or ROC-RK3328-PC board only. I am in charge of sales of Firefly. Here is my contact information: 

wechat: +86-18022118252

what'sapp: +86-18022118252

email: sgs@t-chip.com.cn

On 3/5/2021 at 2:58 AM, MBB said:

I can also report that the "Q+" model works as well ("works" as always means w/o WiFi, Bluetooth).  This is another model worth considering, although in my experience it runs hotter.  All these boxes are best used as a small server as @SteeMan suggests.  But for that purpose and for the reasons he states (price, EMMC flash, case), they are excellent.  I have tried several AMLogic (before they were dropped) and RockChip models in the past, but was never able to get them to work, at least not easily.  So, if you are looking for a small server box that just "works", I would highly recommend that you save yourself considerable grief and get/use one of these H6 models (before buying, confirm that they use EMMC and not NAND! - I had one batch I bought on Amazon that was NAND - all the ones on Alibaba have been EMMC).  The models I have tested are the TX6, T95 Mini (and Max), and Q+.  They are completely interchangeable and use the same images that @Balbes150 posts here.

Q-Plus.png

Tnx for a nice rundown. Which listed device runs Armbian the best in your opinion? I found TX6 at my local store and it's the cheapest but T95 Max and Q+ are not that much expensive. Another question, how can I confirm if they're using EMMC or NAND?

On 3/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, MBB said:

Q-Plus.png

Hello sir, may i know what dtb file youre using to make it work on q+?, i tried the tanix tx6 one(the one written on config file), pasted it on sd and renamed it to dtb.img. still it doesnt boot up or just stuck on black screen. Thanks

20 hours ago, Joasx said:

Tnx for a nice rundown. Which listed device runs Armbian the best in your opinion? I found TX6 at my local store and it's the cheapest but T95 Max and Q+ are not that much expensive. Another question, how can I confirm if they're using EMMC or NAND?

All the devices I listed run well with the same image - no changes are required.  But as noted, the T95 Mini runs coolest as it is well vented on sides and bottom plus reasons given previously.   There is no way externally to tell if it has EMMC - you have to 1) confirm with supplier or 2) try to install the EMMC and see if the option comes up and works or 3) look at the PCB.  Some models support both on the PCB. 

3 hours ago, monster322 said:

Hello sir, may i know what dtb file youre using to make it work on q+?, i tried the tanix tx6 one(the one written on config file), pasted it on sd and renamed it to dtb.img. still it doesnt boot up or just stuck on black screen. Thanks

I made no changes from the images linked to on this topic on any of the devices I mentioned.

First of all thanks to Balbes150 to make this armbian version. 

Today I've purchased a Q+ with 4gb ram and 64 emmc, installed armbian to the emmc fast and without any problem. 

Well only one annoying thing, armbian only recognises 2gb ram. 

I haven't tested android to view all avaliable ram... 

Is there any limit at the moment? 

8 hours ago, Hemin said:

The Allwinner H6 SoC is only capable to handle up to 3GB of memory. So if any OS on H6 shows 4GB or more it is fake since it cannot be addressed.

About the 2GB only no idea. Maybe balbes knows.

17 hours ago, Hemin said:

Have you tried editing extlinux.conf and including mem=3072M at the APPEND line? My V96 Mini has 3GB RAM working in Linux (5.10.x). I put it there from the very beginning so I do not know if it would recognize the 3GB without it. What dtb are you using?

46 minutes ago, KY69 said:

Have you tried editing extlinux.conf and including mem=3072M at the APPEND line? My V96 Mini has 3GB RAM working in Linux (5.10.x). I put it there from the very beginning so I do not know if it would recognize the 3GB without it. What dtb are you using?

Thanks KY69! the "problem" was extlinux.conf changed to 3072 and working. This is a distribution of only a specific partition (ext4) for h6 and I was not sure if extlinux.conf file had to be modified. 

This image have the "sun50i-h6-tanix-tx6.dtb" file as default and seems that all is ok but have not tested sound and hdmi quality, because I use it as a headless sever. 

I don't knmow if this is de best .dtb image for Q+ box, but seems fine

@Hemin@KY69 Note that if U-Boot detects only 2 GiB of RAM, you'll have problems once Linux tries to use that extra 1 GiB (writing to address 0 will be same as writing to address at 2 GiB - wrap around). So I highly recommend that U-Boot output is inspected on serial console. SPL should report 4 GiB and U-Boot should report 3 GiB.

... and be aware that there are quite a few fake tv boxes around (very popular for q+ too) which are sold as 4gb (and in android they even hacked it to look like this), but only have 2gb of memory built in ... so it can be that the box simply only has 2gb in the end ... maybe do an "apt-get install memtester" followed by "memtester 2500M" on the box with your 3072M setting - if it runs through stable you seem to really have 3gb, if it hangs or crashes doing so you most probably only have 2gb

good luck and best wishes - hexdump

Ultimate check would be to read markings from RAM chips, check datasheet and calculate the size. If you can provide those markings and number of chips, I can do it pretty easily.